Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey I'm new here and a new owner of a '16 Kia forte LX, 35.8k miles on it, DOHC 16v engine.

This car seems to vibrate quite a bit at idle which may be normal for these cars? I know some vibration is normal but it feels like a little more than the normal amount. It's not a violent shake though. Before I bought the car I had a mechanic look at a lot of things so I know the motor mounts are good. I found two possible causes

1.) There is a TSB for an alternator pulley that seems to describe my vibration issue perfectly. Wondered if anyone has experienced the same vibration and if the alternator pulley repair fixed the issue? If you had it done was it covered under the warranty or did you have to pay and if so how much was the repair?

2.) I have found that it could be dirty fuel injectors. Not sure how likely this is but is anyone has experienced vibrating and the culprit was dirty fuel injectors let me know your experience!

I'm attaching the TSB

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
While preventative maintenance should always be done well preventatively, lol, I understand not every car comes like so. Without having the car in front of us, the best we can do is guide you.

I have found personally that a quality fuel injector cleaner did stabilize my idle. That being said, when we say quality, we don't mean a 2 dollar bottle of chemical x in the discount bin at your local parts store. I personally swear by BG 44K. It's $20 a can but $20 well spent. I was at low 40,000-ish miles when I first used it.

Now, it can very well be that your alternator is causing that. With 35K miles on the clock, your car is almost certainly still under the 5 year, 60,000 mile Kia basic warranty at the very least if you didn't buy it CPO. It won't hurt to bring it in for a checkup.

One last thing, I'm surprised but glad no one has mentioned motor mounts. With that low of a mileage, we can safely rule out motor mounts. Unless the car was thrashed by the first owner, there's no reason why it would have that much wear and tear.

One thing that I have noticed on Kia's before is motor mount bolts loose from the factory.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
While preventative maintenance should always be done well preventatively, lol, I understand not every car comes like so. Without having the car in front of us, the best we can do is guide you.

I have found personally that a quality fuel injector cleaner did stabilize my idle. That being said, when we say quality, we don't mean a 2 dollar bottle of chemical x in the discount bin at your local parts store. I personally swear by BG 44K. It's $20 a can but $20 well spent. I was at low 40,000-ish miles when I first used it.

Now, it can very well be that your alternator is causing that. With 35K miles on the clock, your car is almost certainly still under the 5 year, 60,000 mile Kia basic warranty at the very least if you didn't buy it CPO. It won't hurt to bring it in for a checkup.

One last thing, I'm surprised but glad no one has mentioned motor mounts. With that low of a mileage, we can safely rule out motor mounts. Unless the car was thrashed by the first owner, there's no reason why it would have that much wear and tear.

One thing that I have noticed on Kia's before is motor mount bolts loose from the factory.
I will try the fuel injector cleaner and see how that goes. Other people have suggested motor mount to me but at this mileage I really feel like that can't be it. But I am the second owner and not sure what went on with the car before I purchased it. I'm taking it to a mechanic just for a check up. I don't want to dismiss the vibrate and see thing get worst.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I changed the spark plugs and had the fuel filter and throttle body cleaned by a mechanic. It worked really well at first but now the rough idle has returned. Not sure what to do next.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts