Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

There are several threads on noise vibrations, sunroof problems, patches and the like, but I was wondering if these problems are the same, and/or fixable. My Koup was bought in November, well past most of the TSBs, although I do not know the manufacture date (can this be found?)

1. When driving on even a slightly bumpy road, there are these vibration noises coming from the rear right-side area, and the area around the glove compartment (even with all the contents removed). Perhaps the cold weather is hardening the plastics and making them rattle...but that doesn't explain why the noise only comes from the right side.

I suspect either (a) the fold-down seat is loose, (b) the small side window is loose, (c) the rear window is loose, or (d) the noise is just bouncing around and the source is somewhere else entirely. :confused: Anyone have this problem?

2. I can hear wind coming through the windows at moderate speed. There are no problems of the window getting stuck outside the moulding or the door not closing properly. But the wind is still coming in. Is the window just not snug enough? :confused:

3. There are these odd patches near the rear wheels, on both sides of the car. It's almost like a repair job patch (same color and material as the car, but it's clearly a metal patch applied like a bandaid). Anyone else have these and know what they are? Or did the manufacturer pull a fast on on me? :mad: Here's a very crude drawing of what the patch looks like:

Your help is much appreciated! Other than the noise, the weird patches and wind noise, the Koup is a great driving experience! Still, these problems can drive one crazy, esp. people like me who don't like cranking up the speakers.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
The patch you are refering to is a clear 3m sticker that is applied to protect the paint from stone chips. Lookl at other cars at your closest dealership you will see every car has these.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Haha is that actually a 3m patch? If so that's very impressive because after 7 months and many washes it hasn't peeled, scratched, or anything at all lol

*EDIT*

Wow I just took a look and it is indeed 3m tape: Here's a pic - note: Excuse the dirtiness, I hate Ontario :p

·
Registered
348 Posts
The wind noise can be lessened by the dealer adjusting the fit of the window. There is a Tech Tip on it, and it's applicable to basically every 'frameless' window out there. The wind noise cannot be completely eliminated, however. Frameless windows make noise, and it's just the way it is. We've had a couple Koups now that I have tweaked and had very good results from, but not one of them is as quiet as my sedan.

One thing that is an important distinction to make is if the wind is actually coming 'in' or is it just wind noise. Critical difference... but your dealer will have to look at it to determine if it's adjustable or as good as it's going to be.

Edit: Tech Tip is # TT2120090191. Deals with the glass hitting the moulding, but the procedure is the same, either way.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Very nice drawing !!!!!! :D I have nothing else to say... :p

Nick :cool:

·
Registered
536 Posts
I have the patches as well on both of our Kia's....Luckily I didn't peel it off and came to the forum first....I work at Avery Dennison that makes vinyl applications for cars. Trust me it's tough shit. The only way we can tear it is using a razor blade. It's very durable and the sun and doesn't seem to fade it....You should check it out online...

·
Registered
224 Posts
Just found this on my koup lol almost took it off cause I thought the dealer hid something when I bought the car. Pretty innovative I guess, but it would look a tiny bit cleaner without it.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Just found this on my koup lol almost took it off cause I thought the dealer hid something when I bought the car. Pretty innovative I guess, but it would look a tiny bit cleaner without it.
Not for long once the paint gets chipped away. There needs to be a bigger piece there to cover the actual area the debris is hitting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts