Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I'd post this for fun. I shot myself removing the headlights to change out the turn signal bulbs to LED.

Unfortunatley, the bulbs are not performing as I would like. Instead of switching from white to amber, the amber comes on with the white and gets lost in the light. I've contacted the retailer to see if they have the correct type.

There are 2 operation types of switchbacks, AO (White when park lights on but Amber with the white off when signalling and AW (Amber comes on in addition the the white.) The Forte requires the AO type and I got the AW type.

Here are the videos... have a laugh.:D

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Great vid :)

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Great videos BigE. Man...you sure move fast! LOL!
x2 Man if you move that fast you'll finished with the mod in .02 seconds! LOL :p

·
Registered
513 Posts
Howley Shite! Seriously!?? I thought it took more to remove the lights!

·
Registered
513 Posts
For a guy that big, wow the speed! Might wanna cut down on the coffee. :)
Actually BigE is a body builder.. at the big GTA meetup he crushed a watermelon with his left man boob. It was awesome.

I've had a man crush ever since.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Nice video, good " How to...." !!! ;) How much Redbull did you take before ? :D

Nick

·
Registered
65 Posts
Dang beat me to the punch with the videos. Made them during lunch but then got stuck in a meeting.

Here is a close-up video that I made with the (AW) lights with parking lights on, and me hitting unlock on my clicker so that you can see the amber and how washed the amber is.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Can you take a night shot of that? Hard to see the signal when it flashes, wondering if it might be too dim.

·
Registered
486 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
I Just took my bulbs out. Going to return them. Just going to stick with the stock bulbs in the front. My whole reason for the LED's is so that the people behind me don't hit me!

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Big can you tell me if these are the correct ones you are talking about? I am about to put these on order they claim they are brighter than the stock bulbs.

JDM Dual Color Switchback Xenon White/Amber Yellow 48-SMD 1157 (aka 7528) LED Indicator Corner/Blinker light bulbs

thanks
Just confirm with the supplier that these ones have the sensing circuit in the bulb. As I and others have discovered, there are 2 different kinds of switchback bulbs. The first kind that is sometimes refered to as AW (Amber/White) means that when you have the driving lights on the bulb is white, when you activate the turn signal, the amber bulbs come on but the white stays on as well washing out the amber so it's hard to see the signal. (Some vehicles automatically cut off the driving lights when the signal is active)

The second kind, the one we need, is refered to as AO (Amber/Off), which has a circuit in the bulb that senses when the turn signal is active and shuts off the white LEDs internally.

Looking at the ad, I can't tell if these are the correct ones or not. Again, check with the vendor first.

Cheers.:)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just some other new I found out when switching back to my stock bulbs. I left my rear turn signals LED, and went back to stock in the front and found out that the stock flasher can control the speed of both lights. The LED's do not blink faster than the front. If there wasn't a hurricane outside right now, (live in Pittsburgh) I would take a video.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Just some other new I found out when switching back to my stock bulbs. I left my rear turn signals LED, and went back to stock in the front and found out that the stock flasher can control the speed of both lights. The LED's do not blink faster than the front. If there wasn't a hurricane outside right now, (live in Pittsburgh) I would take a video.
Interesting find. Brave the hurricane and get us some footage. :)

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes this is true. The left and right flasher circuit are the same.

In other words, the front and rear signals on the left are one circuit and the front and rear on the right are on another circuit . When you replace just the rear bulbs with LED the front bulbs will keep a load on the stock flasher although it should flash a bit quicker.

If you were to replace the left bulbs with LED and left the stock incandescent in the right, when you signaled right, it would flash correctly, when you signaled left, it would flash crazy fast.

Here's the basic circuit.

·
Registered
486 Posts
ok so I sent them an email and asked about the LEDs this is what i got

Dear Customer,

For these Amber/White switchback LED bulbs, when the headlight is off, the bulb will blink Amber/Off/Amber/Off

But when the headlight is on, the bulb will blink Amber/White/Amber/White instead.

For any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to let us know at anytime.

Sincerely
MM

so based on what you guys have shown me in your videos this is yet a 3rd variation. if it truly does blick white amber I can handle that. i think... wont know till i get them and put them in a guess.

·
Registered
65 Posts

Ok, so what I said earlier isn't true. When the hazard lights are on the blink steady. but if I turn left or right they go all fast. Ordering the relay from autolumination.com to fix this problem. The reason they are steady when you turn on the hazard is because bother left and right circuits create enough load on the relay to make it act normal. So when in doubt, never doubt BigE!

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Ok well I found these and think I'm going to
go with them. They carry 2 types.

Type 1 - white with parking lights on. alternates between white and amber when turn signal is on however white does turn off.

Type 2 - white with parking lights on. Alternates between and amber and nothing when turn signal is on. V-LEDS TYPE 2 DUAL COLOR CHANGING 5K WHITE AMBER SWITCHBACK 60 M-SMT TURN SIGNAL BULBS 1157 2057 B/O there is a video
in the link and I think that's what I want. Not sure which I like better. Type 1 or type 2

I'd you search YouTube for type 1 1157 led you will
see a video of type one.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts