Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know now to tell from the VIN # whether the car is equipped with a 4 speed AT or a 5 speed AT? I'm looking to buy and want to get a 5AT.

·
Registered
644 Posts
The SX comes with a 5 spd AT, the EX is a 4 spd AT, unless it has the fuel economy package, which includes a 5 spd AT

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,820 Posts
VIN doesn't tell which tranny.

Look for the tranny code on a build sheet or on the top of the tranny itself:

If First Digit is:
T = A5CF2...5 speed Auto
E = A4CF2...4 speed Auto

·
Registered
33 Posts
I suppose you could test drive it and use the manual side and see if the display shows a 4 or 5 when you get into top gear.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,820 Posts
I suppose you could test drive it and use the manual side and see if the display shows a 4 or 5 when you get into top gear.
Maybe he was hoping he could steal the appropriately equipped Forte without having to drive it? LoL!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm aware that the EX comes with a 5AT only if it has the Fuel Eco package. I'm looking to buy used, so ofter used car dealerships do not list packages by name, and only list the transmission as AT. Obviously I'm looking specifically for 5AT because of the better mileage. For me to go to every dealership and test drive each one would be time consuming. But I appreciate everyone's response on the matter. Thank you all.

·
Registered
348 Posts
One option would be to call the salesman. I cannot imagine the guy who is too busy to answer a simple question for a prospective sale. Narrow your choices down to a few in the right price/mileage/colour/etc. and then call them up and see who's a winner. Might take you four or five phone calls, but why wouldn't you?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One option would be to call the salesman. I cannot imagine the guy who is too busy to answer a simple question for a prospective sale. Narrow your choices down to a few in the right price/mileage/colour/etc. and then call them up and see who's a winner. Might take you four or five phone calls, but why wouldn't you?
I'm looking to buy used, so unless the original sticker is in the manual the sales people likely won't know.

·
Registered
17 Posts
That doesn't change anything, just call the guy and ask him to find out for you. Seriously, he's trying to sell the car, he must be able to tell you it's specs!

If he tells you he can't find out, it's probably the 4sp ;)...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts