Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experience with the Viper Smart Start System VSS4000? I really like the idea of remote start and being able to use my phone to do so. Anyone ever use one? Or have experience with it?

·
Registered
486 Posts
i hate it... (but that could be iphone envy talking):D

i actually think it looks pretty cool

·
Registered
78 Posts
i want it, its on my to get list.....i was looking at it last month....

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm waiting for its availability in Canada to see. I like the features. I go to hockey games throughout the winter and would love to have my starter work from such a distance. My old Sportage had a starter, alas it did not work from the stadium to the far parking lot.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
A Review from Amazon:

Amazon.com: J. Levar "Arsenal Gun...'s review of Viper Smart Start System VSS4000

"Great.....when it works"

Bought this system to warm up my car before getting in during the winter. First of all, the command to start my vehicle works MAYBE 50% of the time. Secondly, there is no confirmation on whether your vehicle received the command or not, so generally, I trudge through the snow only to be surprised to find my truck still icy and unstarted. I've had to resort to using the keychain remote starter (instead of my iPhone) which completely negates the purpose of this overpriced piece of garbage. AVOID at all costs.

·
Registered
645 Posts
the guys follow up.

Just wanted to update my review....since my initial review above, Viper has released a new version of the software which now sends a confirmation back to you if your vehicle has received the command. This is night and day difference as compared to the old software. I would not hesitate to recommend thie Viper SmartStart system to anyone and am changing my review to 4 stars. (Minus 1 star for cost).

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the update. I plan on installing this system in the near future. Where did you have yours installed at? best buy/chain etc or a local shop ?

also, what did the entire package run you installed etc

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Is your ride manual transmission? Wondering what the extra charge was for installing this in a manual.

·
Registered
19 Posts
So I got Smart Start installed yesterday. I'm very impressed. System is very useful. So far I've only tested it on my iPhone 4 and wife's iPhone 3GS and guess it will work just fine on 3G as well. I have friends with BB and Android so I'll test those out soon and keep posted.

I did try to change my default password but was unable to. Something funky with the app is going on and not taking my new password. I've tried a few things but still can't get it to work.

The management portal ( http://managesmartstart.com ) is nice. You can use cell tracking for your car from that portal for a cost (unknown to me at this time).

Trunk release requires me to hold it for a few seconds on the remote and that is the same through the app.

It is quite expensive. I've had to get a 3rd key cut for 100$ (cdn) this is on top of the VSS. The device itself came a bit cheap, I ended up getting it all installed for 850 tax in. This included door/trunk release, lights and also anti-grind feature and an additional 4y warranty. I originally didn't want to get it done at FutureShop, but I bargained them and got a lot for little. I got the Viper 5601 and the VSS Addon Module.

My recommendation: Worth it. I go to hockey games a lot during the winter and park a km or more away, leaving my seat warmers on and being able to warm up the car before the games end will be a huge bonus.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I looked into this after the67beasts' reply to that thread about the zenesis alarm. I like the idea, but as far as I know its a starter only? I think I'm going to go with a Compustar Pro 2-way model with alarm and starter, since it isn't much more. Viper is reputable as well, so its still a toss up.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The smartstart is an add on module for remote start. You need to have a compatible alarm as well. It's around $500 total I believe from best buy installed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I haven't fully tested it. But I believe I should be getting push messages if my alarm goes off. I should do it sometime today as I'm at work and not in my neighborhood to piss off people with it :p

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Viper SmartStart for iPhone - Features

I thought the vss4000 was the starter system and the 100 was the iPhone add-on module. I emailed viper a few days ago to see if it had a manual trans reservation mode or anything but no answer.
damn, im striking out here... 0-2.. you are correct.. there is no security with the $500 bestbuy version... wow.. tad more expensive than I thought...

it has the $299 module add on if you have another viper remote starter system already.. my bad.. thanks for the correction.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
once i sell my other project car (67 impala sedan) i think ill decide what to do with this.. really would love the connivence of not having to keep my keys on me (and just my phone since it goes everywhere) and be able to start the car early in the winter..

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Hey, just a heads up, found this system by simply doing a google search and found it for around $220. When you include install + if you don't have a compatible remote start already installed, maybe around $600. Don't know though, will keep posted.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Ok, quick update. Did a little more research and found a top end Viper remote start/security system w/ 2 way lcd remote and 1 mile range here
VIPER 5902 5902 2-way Security w/ Remote Start 1 MILE RANGE +FREE for around $300. Now why you would need the start smart system in addition to this I'll never know, 1 mile is more then enough of a distance. Also, from what I'm seeing, it appears that it requires a service plan in order to operate (the startsmart system that is). First year comes with purchase and each additional year requires and additional $30. IMO, start smart is a waste of money. If you had a lower end system w/o the 1 mile range, maybe as an addon. But for $30/yr? Just upgrade to a higher end security and call it even. Still have the on off capability and all that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The smart start in Canada has a 50$/y fee (first year free). I got the Viper 5601 (1 way) with Smart Start Module. The 5601 is alarm/starter combo with 1 way remote. Distance isn't too far, but it is decent. Addition of the Smart Start module allows me to start/stop/lock/unlock/etc... it from practically anywhere in the world. It also has Push notifications, so if the alarm goes off, I get a notice of it almost instantly to my iPhone, no matter where I am, as long as I have a network connection (WiFi or 3G).

Obviously Smart Start isn't for everyone. For my needs it suits it and adds the reliability of having notifications for the alarm being pushed and it also brings down the cost of my insurance by 7$/m, which in turn pays for itself in the end.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts