Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, i read about the turbos and im very excited. but ive never modded a car like that before. and doing so would void the warranty, what exactly does that incompass? would that take away my entire warranty? or just the parts of the car the turbo effects?

if Kia comes out with a turbo for the 2.4l in 2012, and it can be bought as an upgrade, would that be included in the warranty?

hows this all work?

·
Registered
973 Posts
power train warranty only more than likely, but thats the big one lol
and that depends on kia, but i dont really think theyll include a dealer installed turbo kit as an option in the near future, but anything they manufacture and put on your car should be under warranty

I guess my powertrain warranty is now void, I just changed my own oil=]

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I wouldn't say any of the warranty. They should still give you the body and interior warranty since the turbo wouldn't affect that

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so if i get a turbo, like the one from turbo kits that were all salavating over, ((or is that just me??)) and my like Transmission goes kaput, would that be covered under the warranty or not? would the just void all of the warranty, or like just what the turbo comes in contact with/effects?

as much as i want the turbo, that kinda sucks =( lol

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
so if i get a turbo, like the one from turbo kits that were all salavating over, ((or is that just me??)) and my like Transmission goes kaput, would that be covered under the warranty or not? would the just void all of the warranty, or like just what the turbo comes in contact with/effects?

as much as i want the turbo, that kinda sucks =( lol
The increase power from the turbo put extra load on your trans and it just give up. Does it make sens???
Kia would have ALL the reason to void your waranty.
But...... you can "remove" any trace of a turbo install prior to your visit to your dealer with a busted trans/diff./engine/clutch/half shaft, etc.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yep makes sence, thats what i figured, but was hoping my lack of car mechanic knowlage was fooling me lol. say somethign breaks, would it be difficult to take everythign off and make it look origional before i went to the dealer? seems like it would be worth it if that was truely possible.

has anyone had that happen to a previous car of theres?

·
Registered
436 Posts
It's happened to countless Mazdaspeed 3 / Mazdaspeed 6 owners who put test pipes, BOVs, intercoolers, etc on their cars. When one of the rods lets go (common on modded 2.3 DISIs) and the dealer spots any of those mods, the warranty is out the window.

I'd only recommend doing a turbo yourself if 1) you have a way to tune it CORRECTLY, and 2) you have deep pockets to pay for the hardware, tuning, and repairs, because it won't be under warranty.

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Dodge actually made a tech pdf will all the most common aftermarket parts and where to find them and pictures of them. LOL Stuff like Boost controllers and piggybacks.

Adding a turbo kit, should only void parts of your warranty.... but i have seen a dealer void a warranty because the owner of the car had 4 bald tires.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Changing your own oil does not void warranty. ONLY if you but KIA approved oil filters, and can provide reciepts for proof if anything were to go wrong. Type of oil doesnt matter, just the filter.

=]

power train warranty only more than likely, but thats the big one lol
and that depends on kia, but i dont really think theyll include a dealer installed turbo kit as an option in the near future, but anything they manufacture and put on your car should be under warranty

I guess my powertrain warranty is now void, I just changed my own oil=]

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,847 Posts
for the lifetime warranty does it have to be serviced at the dealer?
No...you can change oil yourself if you want to...BUT...keep ALL reciepts of oil and filter purchases! If you get the oil changed at a service center other than a Kia Dealer the same applies...Keep reciepts! Make it a habit!

As for the rest of you talking about removing hardware if you need servicing...installing a turbo WILL require "finessing" the ECU -- unless you're a computer wiz they have ways of "seeing" changes to ECU tunes.

·
Registered
114 Posts
hey with the warranty if kia comes out with a turbo and u get it it wont void any warrant also if kia comes out with any aftermarket part suchs as a cai exhaust system turbo or anything if u go out and purchase from somewhere else in stead say turbokits.com or horsepowerfreaks or anywhere the warranty still will not be voided because kia also makes the part yes they will tell u its voided but if u take them to court u will win so as long as kia makes the part ur safe

·
Registered
4 Posts
Your warranty should be fine as long as a licensed mechanic(probably better off with the dealer you bought it from) installs it then they warranty the work as well.

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
No...you can change oil yourself if you want to...BUT...keep ALL reciepts of oil and filter purchases! If you get the oil changed at a service center other than a Kia Dealer the same applies...Keep reciepts! Make it a habit!

As for the rest of you talking about removing hardware if you need servicing...installing a turbo WILL require "finessing" the ECU -- unless you're a computer wiz they have ways of "seeing" changes to ECU tunes.
I wonder how much they charge for a synthetic oil change.......
LOW boost, a/f monitored by a WB, prob would not need changes to ecu. you could use a piggyback..
by low i mean like 7psi. Dunno how much hp you would get off 7psi. maybe 30-60 hp.....
Anyone know the compression ratio of the stock pistons.?

·
Registered
973 Posts
sock compression is 10.5:1
we could maybe get as much as 100whp gain from 8psi and a good tune, celica gts makes upwards of 300whp at low boost with good tuning, their compression is 11:1
my friend with a corolla S turbo'd it and gained 132 whp on stock internals, just intake clutch turbo and turboback, and some heat wrap
yeah, 242 whp. on a corolla. lol
their compression ratio is 10:1 if I remember right

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Shit thats high. Hope he had a WB and a scangauge!!
If he spent all the money, he should of done the internals and make some sick powah.
The good news is that the caliber srt-4 block bolts to the forte head.... back to the research.
Any idea what cc injectors are stock in the forte?

·
Registered
425 Posts
As far as warranty work goes it all depends on the dealership, and what mods you have done. I had a starter issue with my turbo charged SX4 and Suzuki fixed it, but I was on the hook when I had to replace my cam sensor.

As far as boost power goes I was able to get 112 WHP on a 2.0L motor at 10 PSI with 10.5:1 CR; the Suzuki J20 did not have VVT so I am sure I would have made more if I did. The AWD sucked a lot of power in the lower band but once I was in boost the car was fast, and it could hit the twisty roads hard.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts