Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just picked up new subs 2 kicker cvr's and when i turned up the amp and played them at normal listening volume my capacitor volts drop down to a point were it just says low, im running two amps, one for speakers and one for the subs and running 4g wire to the back, im just curious what some of you guys are doing with the higher powered systems..... second battery perhaps ?

·
Registered
522 Posts
What size cap do you have and what size in the amp, what impedence are the subs and are the run in series or parrell, and how many amps is the amp for the speakers and when ohms are the inpedeince and are they run in series or parrell???

·
Registered
289 Posts
I am running 2 JL Audio 330/2's and 1 JL Audio 500/1. I am running 1/0 gauge wire for power and ground. I upgraded my alternator to 180 amps and did the big three up front. I have no problems. Running 2 JL 12's and 4 sets of MB Quart components.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
littlejake - did you buy a whole new alternator or rebuild the factory one ? if its a new one do you know the brand ? yea im hopefully gonna do the big three in the next few days, see if that helps, then probably put a second battery in, i have my old aux batt still from my old truck.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
first, get a dmm and check your voltages. and if your running three amps you may need to get a second battery. i'm not sure cause your not telling us the actual voltage your at. if your droping below 12 volts your either running to much power or somethings not right on the alternator. i say this cause you said you had the knew one, it could have been built wrong, or you didn't wire things up. i didn't wire my setup correctly the first time and the ring terminals where sparking and glowing(they where really hot)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
its two amps, kicker 1000.1 test sheet on it is 1200rms the subs are 400rms each everything is wired into a 2ohm load, the speaker amp is a jl 2 channel with all 4 speakers wired into it, the cap is a 5 fared running off both amps, ive honestly done at least 40-45 stereo installs, i know that the wiring part is correct, it wasnt untill i put the higher poweered subs in today that i ran into this problem, and i cant even turn the gain up on the amp at all i think its at maybe 1/4 right now anything over that and its putting way to big of a draw on the system, i havent checked the actual voltage up front, not really a need to the cap will read the same voltage, maybe .2 or .3 lower due to the distance but still very close, reading into the car apparently these things only have a 60 amp alt stalk, so im pretty sure that is probably the problem not enoughcharging

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
oops. my bad. i thought littlejack's post what yours. but from what you just said it sound like everything is ok. you could try a second battery(that's what i did and no problems). but other than that i can say just recheck to make sure everything is tight. your not running enough power on the amps to really draw to much power.

·
Registered
522 Posts
You know you only need one amp for all of the stuff, you can run it all off the one amp as long it is a 4 channel you just have to wire it correctaly and you should not have any problems with a draw on the system with a 5 farret cap!!

·
Registered
522 Posts
P.S I HAVE 14 SPEAKERS IN MY OLD HONDA RUNNING OFF A PPI 4x25 INCLUDERING 2 12 INCH KICKER SUBBS IN A BOX 2 8 INCH SPAKERS IN THE BACK DECK AND 2 5 INCH SPEAKER IN THE BACK DECK AND 2 TWEETERS IN THE BACK DECK AND A 5 INCH AND A 4 INCH AND A TWEETER IN THE FRONT DOOR AND IS WAS HITTING 100 DB .

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
justinadams - hey when you ran your second batt, where abouts did you put it in the car, i wanna keep it clean, i was thinking of putting it in the spare tire well not sure if it will fit though.... and what did you use to isolate them with

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
my forte koup - yes i know you can run a 2 channel off everything..... but that is for lower powered systems.... 4 channels dont generally produce alot of power, and you where hitting 100 Db in the car or out side cause thats pretty low.... i was running 2 kickers in my old ion redline and hit 142Db tested inside the car....

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
I bet the problem actually is his ground. 4g is a little light in the 1000w range, even though he may not be hitting it. If hi ground in the rear isn't great then the system's ability to complete he circuit may be hindered. I'd say do all of these things:

2 of the big three (engine to chassis and negative to chassis)
A second 4g run to the battery negative and amp negatives

Add a small kinetik hc600 or similar as they are fairly easy to hide.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
i took out my spare tire and put it there. and so it wouldn't slide around i cut a piece of wood to hold it in place. and i didn't use an isolator. i personally don't see a reason for one.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
upgraded all the grounds, under the hood and in the back with no results, and yes the vehicle was running during all of this

1 - 15 of 15 Posts