Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, guys,

When I bought my koup I bought the vortex valve my dealer offered me to increase gas mileage and horse power. Now I have been reading on the net bad reviews about the vortex valve, but every now and then one person says it works great.

Has any of you guys applied a vortex valve to your koup? I haven't gone to the dealer yet so they install them, but I did pay for it. What is your recommendation?

·
Registered
459 Posts
It's simple physics, how does restricting airflow increase power? Even if the little useless piece of tins wind tunneling effect did anything once the air goes into the intake manifold it would lose that.

In short you got ripped off by buying it. If you look around the internet people have dyno'd them and they net loss.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,880 Posts
It's simple physics, how does restricting airflow increase power? Even if the little useless piece of tins wind tunneling effect did anything once the air goes into the intake manifold it would lose that.

In short you got ripped off by buying it. If you look around the internet people have dyno'd them and they net loss.
That's why it gets better gas mileage...restricts airflow...LoL Even when you push the throttle down more the vortex restricts the airflow and reduces your power overall to get better gas mileage.

Seriously...if these things really worked they'd be in every car -- since the Government is mandating higher fuel mileages these things would be on the car as would the chips and the gas additives and every device you can find an ad for...please get your money back!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
WOW, how bad, this was $199 and it was added to the financing of the car. I don't know if there is anything I could do at this level. The car was bought on March 11, the vortex thing hasn't arrived to the dealer so I haven't installed it.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Is it the same Vortex Valve as the website? vortexvalve.com
The website lists it at 77.85
I have seen similar on ebay around 8.50.

I am surprised a car dealership would sell this gimmick.

I would get them to use that money for some other mods from that dealership worth 199.00. Like cargo net and liner, Hood deflector and so on.

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Seriously...if these things really worked they'd be in every car -- since the Government is mandating higher fuel mileages these things would be on the car as would the chips and the gas additives and every device you can find an ad for...please get your money back!
Agree with you........ but why don't they put CAI or hi flow filter as stock equipment??? Noise!?!

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
They do have CAI, thats the black inlet that pulls air from the front. Makes it easier to change the filter but not as much performance. Cone filters are also more expensive. Noise may also be an issue. Would suck if all cars made that throaty acceleration noise. Would be funny though seeing granny pulling away from a stop light sounding like that.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I guess I will try getting something else for the $199 they charged me and they keep their trashy vortex valve. And yes, it is the same as vortexvalve.com

PS: I just got my car into a hand car wash, wow, I love my koup. It is so beautiful.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,880 Posts
Agree with you........ but why don't they put CAI or hi flow filter as stock equipment??? Noise!?!
The intake is technically a CAI as it draws air from the front of the car -- but you did hit the proverbial "nail on the head"! Sound abatement is the primary motivator here...the reason for the small diameter exhaust, for example. It is easier to control the exhaust sound with a 1 3/4" pipe than a 2.5" inch pipe. Manufacturers have to meet mandates.
...and in all honesty have you heard the sound a throttle body makes in normal driving -- not something 99% of owners would want to hear every time they drive -- why they call the air intake system a air "silencer".

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
So I guess I will try getting something else for the $199 they charged me and they keep their trashy vortex valve. And yes, it is the same as vortexvalve.com

PS: I just got my car into a hand car wash, wow, I love my koup. It is so beautiful.

Yea, see what they will offer in it's place.

After washing don't forget to pay special attention to the water collection points -- like the low point in the crease of the doors just below the mirrors, the front grilles, and around the tail lights. If you don't you'll get water streaks as soon as you start driving...LoL!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hah, good advice, I did noticed some, thanks. Let me see what I can work out of this vortex valve scam. I will post to update on the situation.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Good luck...I hate to hear about dealers scamming customers.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, since the dealer says I paid for it already so nothing can be done. I know that is not the way but well, since I got it from a dealer where a person of the family I know works there I will not make anything out of this. I will ask them to give me the vortex valve and not put it in, just sell it on ebay for $5, heh.

I wanted to ask you guys, I am thinking of buying the Cold Air Intake turbokits has. Does that invalidate my warranty with KIA? Do you recommend it to me? Do you have any suggestions?

·
Registered
459 Posts
A CAI won't directly void your warranty, but if the dealer can blame it on that, they will void your claim. I mean you blow a strut while a CAI is installed, obviously they will approve the claim.

Most intakes are easy to take on an off. I just throw my stocker on when I go to the dealer, takes 10 minutes.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Well, since the dealer says I paid for it already so nothing can be done. I know that is not the way but well, since I got it from a dealer where a person of the family I know works there I will not make anything out of this. I will ask them to give me the vortex valve and not put it in, just sell it on ebay for $5, heh.

I wanted to ask you guys, I am thinking of buying the Cold Air Intake turbokits has. Does that invalidate my warranty with KIA? Do you recommend it to me? Do you have any suggestions?

I agree common since would tell you that anything that broke on the car that was not directly related to the intake should never be in question as to if its coverage is voided. That being said though... After seeing what I saw at my local dealer I wouldn't put anything past them. See my thread here.
http://www.forteforums.com/forums/forte-forums-lounge/812-lady-stuck-kia.html

My best advice is that if you have any question on if a part voids any part of your warranty like others have said on here before ask your dealer and get him to put it in writing!!! LOL if he will not do that there is a reason. tomrrows service manager might not honor what yesterdays todl you. Lke Zero said though. Intake is a 15 minute swap out. Just hold on to your stock one.

Oh yea I just remembered... when I got the hummer there were loads of mods on the market. The dealer actually offered to put some on for me and told me that they would be covered under the factory warranty if they did the install. the install would cost money but that may be a safe option for you to look into. you buy it they put it in... worth a shot.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think I will go that route, I buy it, they put it in. Thanks for your response guys. If there are more suggestions please keep em coming.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, I am mad at my dealer, so much I'm calling other dealers to get accessories from.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts