Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been thinking about switchbacks but looking at some pics (google), I noticed they are pretty bright...So I was wondering if they are brighter than the stock lights? If they are I would probably wait since I would prefer to go with projectors, when they are more readily available....

Anyone here on the forum with them, if you could post pics that would be great....Thanks!

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I dont have pics but they are brighter then the stock lights. They are bright white LEDs while the stock lights are regular amber bulbs. I think they look great tho!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Shaks... Is there any other lights (NOT HIDs) available that are brighter than stock that could match up close to the intensity of switchbacks. Something that will work until I could afford projectors??? I don't want HIDs because they are illegal, and also I know how annoyed I get with the glare on other peoples car, so I don't want to be that guy!

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I bought bulbs to do the same thing you're trying to do before I got HIDs and the bulb just didn't cut it. I don't think there's any non-hid bulb that will match the whiteness of the switchbacks. I see HIDs everywhere now that I don't care if I'm that guy lol how long until projectors? Cuz I think u have to get HID bulbs for them anyway no? The projectors would just be the assembly...i could be wrong

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
No matter what's illegal, cops shouldn't bother u for that shit...most new cars come with either projectors or HIDs stock so it's hard to tell for them what's stock and what's not.

Y&R: answering for fas cuz I have them too but I got mine from Diode Dynamics. They have plenty of threads on the forum with sales and stuff for their products. Theyre pretty cheap, grab them. Theyre awesome looking! Never seen anything like it before I got my koup.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
No matter what's illegal, cops shouldn't bother u for that shit...most new cars come with either projectors or HIDs stock so it's hard to tell for them what's stock and what's not.

Y&R: answering for fas cuz I have them too but I got mine from Diode Dynamics. They have plenty of threads on the forum with sales and stuff for their products. Theyre pretty cheap, grab them. Theyre awesome looking! Never seen anything like it before I got my koup.
There is a lot of science to lighting and how it is reflected and aimed. You cannot compare a retrofit/aftermarket projector to something that comes stock.

HID's in a Halogen bulb housing are illegal because a halogen bulb has a much different light pattern than an HID bulb.

Either way, will a cop bother you? More than likely no, but if you are aimed too high and blind him/her coming the other way then you may have an issue. Of course the more blue you go in temp rating the more noticeable you get.

So there are tons of factor at play here but for less than $100 for a kit it wont be a huge ordeal if you get stopped for it. Plus they are easy enough to pop out, roll thru inspection then pop back in. :p

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I cant imagine having anything brighter than stock. I get flicked off on a daily basis for my headlights. I'm getting 6k HID's to replace my bulbs cause im sick of people flashing their brights at me.
What do you have now? 6000K won't be less bright than stock.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Then you might want to do a little research. If you are having issues with people now it will be much worse with HID's. you will have a ton more light scatter. Try aiming you headlights down.

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
I just replaced my fogs with 8k lights and they seem to be a better match than the 6k bulbs I put in for my high beams.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Okay I'm learning here....thanks for all the info...And although HIDS and Projectors are illegal, didn't I read a posting that said that projectors give off a better beam of light than HIDS? If so that seems like the way to go. I try to be a safe driver, so blinding somebody else is not my idea of a good mod. If projectors prevent that then that would be more ideal for me. So tell me guys/gals, I see things about 6K, 8K and I really don't understand the difference between the two. I want something that is white, not blue or yellow. What is my best bet? And who do you recommend to buy from??? Thanks guys. I know there are lots of threads about this. I know SEARCH BUTTON. I just can't search for a hour while I'm at work. 12HR SHIFTS SUCK D**K!!! EAT,SLEEP,WORK, SHIT...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts