Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
WARNING: OEM chrome handles and aftermarket badges

Well, as many of you know, I purchased a set of the red "K" badges as soon as I got my Forte. After a winter of driving the car, the chrome on the badges is fading/peeling/spotting green. I just wanted to warn others.

I don't feel like paying $30/year for badges. I'm gonna re-apply the OEM badges. I guess I need to buy the 3M adhesive now.

But, more importantly:

My OEM chrome door handles are displaying the same problem. I am going to bring the wrath of God onto Kia. FIVE months I've owned the car. Maybe I'll demand the LX body-coloured handles.

Anyone else experience this

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
Hey Ile, let me know where you get the adhesive. I'm hoping to make some custom badges in the next few months and I'd like to get some 3m tape too.

Also, maybe a good word of advice is to tell people they may want to throw on a bunch of all-weather clear-coat layers to prevent this.

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
you mean spray can clear coat
?????

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I would, but I didn't get a chance. Also, I've a bigger problem, as you can see from the updated thread. Pictures will follow. It's night-time now.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Thanks for the warning , i was about to order those badges . That clear coat spray has a tendency to turn a milky colour after one winter . I sprayed the chrome aftermarket lug nuts that i used with custom wheels on my Tib because they tend to rust but they turned a spotty milky colour over time .

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
Then one could always take it to an actualy body shop and get it done right for a few bucks I'd imagine. =)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Again, I apologize for the camera. The badge shots are horrible, but the handles could be seen.

I know that this is expected with chrome, but my chrome trim on my Saturn L200 barely showed any wear when I traded it in for the Forte. It was 6 years old and saw plenty of Canadian winter.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
Ile, so sorry to hear about your handles.... That is inexcusable! They better replace them! I must have glanced over that part of the thread initially. Mine are fine btw and I bought mine last May.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Same thing with my K badges, what a dissapointment.

Well, as many of you know, I purchased a set of the red "K" badges as soon as I got my Forte. After a winter of driving the car, the chrome on the badges is fading/peeling/spotting green. I just wanted to warn others.

I don't feel like paying $30/year for badges. I'm gonna re-apply the OEM badges. I guess I need to buy the 3M adhesive now.

But, more importantly:

My OEM chrome door handles are displaying the same problem. I am going to bring the wrath of God onto Kia. FIVE months I've owned the car. Maybe I'll demand the LX body-coloured handles.

Anyone else experience this

·
Registered
142 Posts
Then one could always take it to an actualy body shop and get it done right for a few bucks I'd imagine. =)
Yes , one could actually do that . I would have it done before putting the badges on the car however .

After seeing those door handle shots i washed our sedan and checked the chrome closeley , perfect shape .

·
Registered
39 Posts
I was looking at the quality of the chrome on my handles and i was wondering how they would hold up...
They are fine now but i will have to see after the winter.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts