Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Only if the dealer can prove the CAI and/or exhaust caused the damage. I have a CAI and if anything goes wrong, I'm just gunna replace the stock intake.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
4,171 Posts
Put it in perspective:

The CAI or exhaust will not automatically void your car's warranty...but...

If your fry your ECU and you have an aftermarket intake on it you have 2 choices...put the original back on and lie -- if you are in a position to do so OR if you are stranded in the middle of nowhere and can't get to the original intake then the dealer/manufacturer can look at the aftermarket intake as a mod that prevented the ECU from getting proper cooling -- dealer's/manufacturer's choice on this one...

Exhaust usually does not void a warranty...however...if you blow your engine or tranny up you could end up with a question over the warranty with a larger, performance oriented exhaust system. Since the exhaust will most likely not be of factory dimensions the dealer/manufacturer can claim you altered the vehicle enough to help cause the damage by increasing the engine's output. They will probably lose a potential future customer if they don't warranty the repairs...

One way to take care of this is to talk to your dealer's service department...if they say they will cover the warranty with the aftermarket parts ask them to put it in writing. I asked my service manager about the aftermarket intakes and was told the ECU would not be warranted. This is sad because I'd like to make my Koup into a display car for shows to promote the Koup -- but I'm not going to do so if I lose my Warranty. Kia -- and the aftermarket -- needs to produce items that won't affect the warranty!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thats what i figured the manual said they wont fix anything broken caused by aftermarket parts but there's a thin line for the dealer, they could always pull some b.s. i just really want to be able to get an exhaust and not have to put the stock one on when something happens, the CAi no biggie like a ten minute job to throw back on =p.

·
Registered
202 Posts
well you know you could always get a muffler and use the original exhaust tips and thats it, I know that you want performance out of it but you have to compromise, I'm in the exact position your in, I want to but I'm not willing to loose, so I'm just ganna put the muffler, that wont void your warranty sence your not messing with the CAT, the CAI well you said it lol....

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
Just had my SX sedan in for it's 24,000 km Service 2, no one had any problem with my Turbokits CAI. Had a few nice comments on the car and the awsome sound though.:D

·
Registered
204 Posts
Just had my SX sedan in for it's 24,000 km Service 2, no one had any problem with my Turbokits CAI. Had a few nice comments on the car and the awsome sound though.:D
Hehe, nobody there will have a problem until you do, then their attitudes may change ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts