Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my 2104 Kia Forte LX since June. I have noticed water has leaked into the trunk compartment. The entire liner is soaked and I have looked for the possible areas water may be coming in. I know that the water is not coming in from anywhere above the liner since the sides and top are not even wet. We have had a significant amount of rain in the past few days. Has anyone had this issue with their Kia??

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
Id go straight to the dealer with it. Any work required should be free. And it will probably turn out to be a leaking seal around trunk or rear window. Your the first to have a leak. Let us know what they find.

·
Registered
6 Posts
How did you make out with your leak? I too purchased a 2014 Forte LX about three weeks ago. Yesterday we had a lot of rain and today I noticed that the carpet in my trunk was wet. Upon further inspection it appears to be leaking from the right side tail light. The whole light assembly doesn't seem to fit as well as the left side. Appointment booked for Monday. After 2 ford vehicles with barley any issues, I am hoping that this isn't the beginning of a bunch of problems. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Turns out my leak was not taillight after all but a poor seal on the back window. Not big, but just enough to allow a little water in the trunk. Window removed, resealed and hopefully as good as new. Service manager said he never seen anything like that before and that part of the sealant didn't take when window was installed at the factory. Happy camper now.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Turns out my leak was not taillight after all but a poor seal on the back window. Not big, but just enough to allow a little water in the trunk. Window removed, resealed and hopefully as good as new. Service manager said he never seen anything like that before and that part of the sealant didn't take when window was installed at the factory. Happy camper now.
I am still working on getting it into the shop as I live 3 hours from the nearest Kia dealership. I suspected the window but never found any wet spots near the window but always on the bottom of the the trunk. I will notify the service tech of the your
window leak. I just try avoiding washing too much in the trunk area but that is the main area that gets dirty...my daily commute consists of a 6.5 mile drive on a dirt road by the way :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well we thought it was a leaking window. Two days after the window was fixed, there was still water coming in. So myself, the sevice manager and the guy that does their glass work were all in the shop with the car to do a water/soap test. With some compressed air inside the trunk blowing out, we determined that it wasn't the window after all but a bad seam in the trunk just below the corner of the glass (passenger side). They sealed it really well, did a water test and sent me on my way. Being curious I have done a few of my own water tests and no leaking. Originally the water would leak in that area but travel in different directions. There were water drops around the taillight, inside of the quarter panel which ran down and got the carpet wet. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Do you notice fogging problems with your car ? I bought a 2014 forte 1 month age a seem to have a fog problem in the car. The defrost on 2-3 setting seems to help a little but I never had to have the defrost on the whole time in any other car. Let me know, thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Do you notice fogging problems with your car ? I bought a 2014 forte 1 month age a seem to have a fog problem in the car. The defrost on 2-3 setting seems to help a little but I never had to have the defrost on the whole time in any other car. Let me know, thanks
Yes I noticed that this car fogs up more so than my last car or any car that I have had. I have been blaming the colder weather. Do you have any creaks/noises etc in you car. I do get a rarely heard noise from somewhere near the back window passenger side but its not bad. Heard a few noised on the bumpy roads yesterday. I cam from a 2010 Ford Focus which was built rock solid so I might be just being a little picky. BUT it is a nice car to drive with a lot more interior room than I had in the Focus. Did you get an LX/EX?

·
Registered
1 Posts
2014 Kia Forte EX Water in trunk and mice in car

I think I have found the source to the water in the trunk problem. Under the trunk liner on the sides by the wheel wells there are two vents one on each side. I removed the trunk liner on the drivers side and found water around this vent and mice foot print where a mouse or mice had crawled through I believe this is the problem will be taking to the dealer asap as I have only had the car for 6 months! Only reason I noticed water in the truck is because I was looking for where the mouse had got in! What the hell brand new car:Atomic:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think I have found the source to the water in the trunk problem. Under the trunk liner on the sides by the wheel wells there are two vents one on each side. I removed the trunk liner on the drivers side and found water around this vent and mice foot print where a mouse or mice had crawled through I believe this is the problem will be taking to the dealer asap as I have only had the car for 6 months! Only reason I noticed water in the truck is because I was looking for where the mouse had got in! What the hell brand new car:Atomic:
I am having this same problem and the water appears to be coming from the same spot as yours. What did the dealer do for you? Mine cleaned out my car but said they couldn't find where the water came from. They were looking for leaks in the windows I think but couldn't find any.

·
Registered
1 Posts
just discovered

Well we thought it was a leaking window. Two days after the window was fixed, there was still water coming in. So myself, the sevice manager and the guy that does their glass work were all in the shop with the car to do a water/soap test. With some compressed air inside the trunk blowing out, we determined that it wasn't the window after all but a bad seam in the trunk just below the corner of the glass (passenger side). They sealed it really well, did a water test and sent me on my way. Being curious I have done a few of my own water tests and no leaking. Originally the water would leak in that area but travel in different directions. There were water drops around the taillight, inside of the quarter panel which ran down and got the carpet wet. Hope this helps.
Just discovered the same problem in my 2014 Forte LX! Much water damage floor alot of drying out to do. Have appointment tomorrow, we'll see what they do. Thanks to OP I was able to determine where the water was getting in. Unbelievable, hope KIA comes through.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update

I had my car's rear window taken out and resealed by a body shop. I still have the same problem. Is it all possible to send a photo of the location of the reseal you had done. I have noticed water drops in the area of the trunk lid (where the electric harness comes out) and the water collection is mainly on the drivers side (in the trunk and back seat floor). Thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a rio that did the same thing (3 days old at the time). the water came from the under the rear bumper that the body was not sealed on some spots. Kia fixed it after lots of parts were replaced..tail lights, window and seals. after all that they checked the body sealer and bingo thats the problem (missing on a few small spots) they resealed the rear of the car and I have not have a problem since.

·
Registered
1 Posts
kia 2014 forte

we had a bad storm 2 weeks ago and smelt somthing when i was putting grocerys in car and when i lifted black cover tht seprates the trunk to the foam tray were spare would be i found a big puddle in my drunk . so i thought i left my trunk open or somthing so when this last storm yesterday i mad sure i had my keys out of my pocket at all times went and checked today and water in my trunk and on right hand side and also my back seat passenger side is damp wth is going on ... i bought a new car only have had it for 18 months almost and leaking somewere ... plz help .... i have an appt with dealer on thursday of nxt week soonest they could see me go fugure but i took pics of water and everything ...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well thanks I think. Didn't know I had a problem till I just read this thread. It rain good last night and when I just checked, there was a water puddle under the spare tire. Guess it's time to call the dealer and get it fixed. Kind of looked like it was leaking by the driver side tail light.

·
Registered
1 Posts
trunk water leak & then some

i'm so relieved to find that others have had this issue. at first, i thought my window was leaking somehow, because my back passenger seat is soaked. but the water was only toward the crack of the seat, not really following a pattern of water coming in through the window. i took all my recycling & donations out of my trunk, and discovered my trunk mat was soaked, and there was around 2.5" of water in the place designated for a spare tire. so, i'll be calling the dealership tomorrow. they have lots of work to do! the trunk, a regulator/motor not working in a back window (they have already replaced the other one), and whatever the recall notice was about! geez.....
hoping i didn't choose unwisely.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2003 Acura TL and the only place water was accumulating was in the spare tire well. Found out the tail light gaskets are to blame. Of course the fix is to replace them. I know my car is 10 years older, but its an idea of where to look if the tire well is the only place water is accumulating.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just saw this thread. We have a 2014 Forte and also noticed water in trunk, read drivers side floor and seat.

Took it to the dealer, they said it's the rear drivers side taillight seal. Fixed, and waiting to see if it works.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts