Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2104 Kia Forte that made 5 years old in June. I recently noticed that water has leaked into the trunk compartment. How I found it is I had to return a package that came damaged and I placed the box in the trunk and when i took the box out at FedeX is was completely wet. Several month ago I noticed a white powdery substance in my trunk that I vacuumed out. Since I never use my trunk I haven't looked in there in months. It rained very hard had last night and I opened the trunk to check and took the piece out that goes over the spare tire and when I turned it over the mold covers the entire back side of it. Mold has also spread to my back seat. The bottom of my trunk has water in it. Because I have a lung disease and I can't be near mold I immediately brought it to the dealer. He seems to not know the problem so he kept the car to try to fix it. It only has 45,000 miles in 5 years. Has anyone had this issue with their Kia??

·
Registered
593 Posts
Hi Jane, sorry to hear about that. Your dealer pretends ignorance, that's a bad sign. Although not a serial problem with the 2014, it is well known and documented and there is a factory fix for it. Tell him that, and that he should dry it out and treat the mould. Good success!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had to search and search for a remedy for my 2014 Kia Forte. I found it in this forum last year. I will search for it but I had to seal the tail lights with clear silicone and it held for quite some time. The leak was detected soon after my purchase in 2013 and took it back to KIA for answers but no one knew.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also have a problem with my 2014 Kia Forte leaking water when it rains. My daughter is in her last year of college in Washington and took it with her I didn't want her using Lift or Uber. Now the trunk is full of mold under the trunk carpet and moved in to the back of the seats I filed a complaint with Kia Consumer Affairs and they basically said they were so sorry I was going through this and it wasn't tier problem I had to cover the cost for repairs and clean up. The Kia Dealership in Washington said it was faulty gaskets will cost $380 to replace and $1380 for Mold Clean up which Kia won't cover.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also have a problem with my 2014 Kia Forte leaking water when it rains. My daughter is in her last year of college in Washington and took it with her I didn't want her using Lift or Uber. Now the trunk is full of mold under the trunk carpet and moved in to the back of the seats I filed a complaint with Kia Consumer Affairs and they basically said they were so sorry I was going through this and it wasn't tier problem I had to cover the cost for repairs and clean up. The Kia Dealership in Washington said it was faulty gaskets will cost $380 to replace and $1380 for Mold Clean up which Kia won't cover.
Did you ever get it fixed? So it was not the seal but a gasket? I am having the exact same problem with my 2014 Kia Forte too!

·
Registered
2016 Kia Forte - Nu 1.8 MPI - Aurora Black Pearl
16 Posts
I too had some water leaking into my trunk from inside the trunk lid liner (that carpeted cover on the inside of your trunk lid). I had my local KIA dealer look at it and they discovered the backside of the left tail lamp assembly (the one fitted to the trunk lid, NOT the car body) had a hairline crack in it and was allowing water to enter & pool up in that tail lamp. When the trunk lid was lifted open, the water would then drain out of tail lamp assembly through the bulb socket, run down the trunk lid liner and exit through a small opening next to the left trunk lid arm, dripping water inside my trunk.
The dealer replaced my driver's side trunk mounted tail lamp assembly for FREE under warranty, which fixed my problem; no more water leakage.

So, if you have water leaking into your trunk, CHECK YOUR TAIL LIGHTS for condensation or water inside them. If so, that may very well be the source of your problem.

I hope this helps someone. Good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
THIS! This is my exact problem! It’s that freaking tail light and leaking when I open the trunk! Water pours down that arm thingy. Thank you for your post, now I know how to fix mine. :)

I too had some water leaking into my trunk from inside the trunk lid liner (that carpeted cover on the inside of your trunk lid). I had my local KIA dealer look at it and they discovered the backside of the left tail lamp assembly (the one fitted to the trunk lid, NOT the car body) had a hairline crack in it and was allowing water to enter & pool up in that tail lamp. When the trunk lid was lifted open, the water would then drain out of tail lamp assembly through the bulb socket, run down the trunk lid liner and exit through a small opening next to the left trunk lid arm, dripping water inside my trunk.
The dealer replaced my driver's side trunk mounted tail lamp assembly for FREE under warranty, which fixed my problem; no more water leakage.

So, if you have water leaking into your trunk, CHECK YOUR TAIL LIGHTS for condensation or water inside them. If so, that may very well be the source of your problem.

I hope this helps someone. Good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
THIS! This is my exact problem! It’s that freaking tail light and leaking when I open the trunk! Water pours down that arm thingy. Thank you for your post, now I know how to fix mine. :)
why do we have to repair our own cars when KIA should be doing this at no cost to us? I am having my attorney start a class-action lawsuit over this.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Forte LX
920 Posts
Class action lawsuits generally don't pay off very well. I was part of one last year concerning contaminated milk and got a whopping $7.51. My wife just got a check from a class action suit she was in against Equifax for a breach of information and she got, (drum roll here) $13.99!! We're going to buy a half tank or maybe even 3/4 with out settlement checks combined!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.