Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found that I had rain in my trunk interior rear quarter panels. It had rained a lot on & off last week. Couldn't find where the water was coming from.

Took off the rear bumper cover & finally found it. I don't know the name of these but the rubber seals around them have become weak, loose & hardened.

I have a full service & repair manual & the area/part isn't named.

If I can't find replacement rubber seals. I might use seal mate aka gutter glue from home depot (yellow tube) or I just may cut some stainless steel plates & screw them on.

·
Super Moderator
302 Posts
Looks like they're called Vent Grilles

If I'm not mistaken, those vent the excess air pressure in the cabin when you close the doors, or something like that.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm gonna dry test/cover them & see if the air pressure inside make a difference.

I thought the vents were also to help with removing or drying moisture inside?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Why not just put a bead of silicone gasket maker around the edge of the flap assembly and reinstall them?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Why not just put a bead of silicone gasket maker around the edge of the flap assembly and reinstall them?
I second that. And given, that it is behind the bumper cover, you don't even need to be very good at it, no need to win the prize of beauty, as long as it waterproofs.

Reactions: NovaResource

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I covered the vent grills with an aluminum plates, stainless steel plate & finally flex tape.

All 3 didn't change the air pressure. No popping, ringing or ear drum disturbances or pressure change to my ears. The doors & trunk closed fine with no problems.

I tested my theory with me outside & inside the Kia. Windows up the entire time.

I was really expecting to get some push back or some resistance. Especially from the trunk.

Nothing. The Neighbor was looking at me like I was on something. Opening & closing nicely & respectfully forceful for 15min.

Had my kid help me with the trunk testing. I even got in the trunk & laid there.

So in conclusion, to me there's no mechanical change that would affect the performance of the car. Didn't affect my eardrums/air pressure around my ears. Doors & trunk closed properly & with no problems.

Anthony

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Ended up with flex tape. What do you, heavy damn rain last night (10-16-20) no rain from news. Stupid weather reports. Now the car stuck in our backyard. 😤

Absolutely no leaks & water in the trunk. 👍💯👏👏

1 - 10 of 10 Posts