Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on the interstate today and had a time constraint, I had to get there quickly and make it back, which meant I had to pass someone every now and again.

Unfortunately, I really started to notice that past 55mph, there's really not enough oomph. I know there are cold air intakes, but they're not gonna work I don't think. The intake isn't moved far enough away from the engine and the heat shielding doesn't seem that effective.

This leads me to ask, is there anyway to tune the stock engine to use more air and gas? I don't really care about getting 45mpg and am perfectly fine with 30. I have to floor it everywhere anyways.

Edit: it's a 2018 Kia forte EX, base 2.0L NA Inline 4 MPI Nu engine, peak HP is 147, torque is something like 130ft lbs. Quite depressing and overtaking is a weeklong event.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
4,152 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was on the interstate today and had a time constraint, I had to get there quickly and make it back, which meant I had to pass someone every now and again.

Unfortunately, I really started to notice that past 55mph, there's really not enough oomph. I know there are cold air intakes, but they're not gonna work I don't think. The intake isn't moved far enough away from the engine and the heat shielding doesn't seem that effective.

This leads me to ask, is there anyway to tune the stock engine to use more air and gas? I don't really care about getting 45mpg and am perfectly fine with 30. I have to floor it everywhere anyways.

Edit: it's a 2018 Kia forte EX, base 2.0L NA Inline 4 MPI Nu engine, peak HP is 147, torque is something like 130ft lbs. Quite depressing and overtaking is a weeklong event.
btr's alphaspeed canned tune could be good, but on completely stock parts I doubt it would improve performance that dramatically.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT DCT Black
53 Posts

My advice is to see what Kia will give you for it. I had a 2018 metallic brown Forte FE, 2.0L with 6 Speed Manual and it had just over 30K miles. It wasn't much to look at, but it was a great car for the $13K they sold it to me for! No matter how hard I drove it, it would get greater than 40MPGs and if you drove it like a grandma I could get it over 50 on long drives. Anyways, I got one of those generic offers to buy it back in the mail for $10K, so I called them up and got the soft close for $10K confirmed. They tried to talk me down a bit when I got there by noting that I got it for only $3K more than that and I said how is that my problem and backed myself up with the fair market and trade in values which were between $11 and $12.5K and said I owe $10 (actually owed $7) and need that or I'm leaving. They finally caved and I I did them a solid by purchasing a 2021 Forte GT DCT for $23K and 0%! Could work for you too!

·
Registered
12 Posts
The 2.0 motor is a dog. The 1.8 engine in my 2016 has a lot more pep than the 2.0 in my 2021. Luckily, I have the manual transmission in both cars. The N/A engines don't make any decent power until 3K rpm plus, I have never driven a CVT car. Is there anyway to get the RPMs up in the power range to give it more pep?

As for the air intake adding power; this would depend on the flow rate of the MAP assembly. If it is currently flowing at max rate with the stock setup - adding it won't do anything. However, if the MAP is capable of flowing more air and the restrictive part of the intake is something else; the intake will add a little performance and probably allow the engine to rev out faster, which in turn may be just what you are looking for. I won't install one; I keep all of my commuter vehicles basically "stock" for warranty purposes, but with the manual trans - I just down shift a few gears to put the engine in the proper RPM range to get the performance I need for daily driving (I commute over 800 miles a week for work).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts