Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today's humid and hot Indiana weather was just right to test the air conditioner. My judgment: It's weak. I never felt "cold" like I get in other cars. I kept the fan setting at "2" just to keep the car comfortable enough.

I checked the engine compartment when I came home and the metal pipe that carries the icy coolant from the condenser to the passenger compartment had too much condensation on it and I saw a small puddle of water below the pipe too.

I am thinking maybe putting on a generic insulator on the pipe would help..

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
or you could take it to the dealer...

·
Registered
119 Posts

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
I thought the same thing so I bought a commercial thermometer and it read around 37F at the 1 fan and around 39F at the 2 fan setting. This was on a pretty hot day a few weeks ago. Thermometer is inserted into an air vent to get a reading. Pretty good temps actually. Prior to turning on A/C the inside temp of the car was 106F.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Mine works pretty decently, but in really humid weather, it does take several miles to cool the car down...to be expected in a black car with black leather though.

OP...What part of Indiana are you in?

·
Registered
41 Posts
My 2 cents:

D113's post of soundproofing his car showed that there is no insulation between the headliner and the roof. I find that my forte is pretty damn hot already and its just barely summer. Insulating the ceiling of the car has moved up a few notches on my (to do) list.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Yea my AC works amazing i would take it to the dealer to get it checked out....

·
Registered
76 Posts
Mine sucks. Had a Spectra before the Koup, that thing would freeze you out. This one never really gets cold. Gotta run it on max cold with fan on 4 and then still just seems to cool things down, never cold air.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Dude.. I live in Puerto Rico where it is humid as hell. Temperature outside is always above 90 F and with the humidity, the heat index climbs to 105 or 106F. The AC of my Koup works great. I cant dial it below 73 as it will get too cold for my taste. One thing that I hate is that the temperature controller will always set to let fresh air into the car. I really don't like it because it will let the smells from outside get inside the car. Too many cars and trucks leaving smoke curtains when accelerating

·
Registered
56 Posts
you're definitley not the only one having this problem man, Im in NC and damn that humidity here will kick your ass. But you're right usually on my previous vehicles all i really had to do was just put it on 1 and on max ac and instantly feel cool/cold air flowing through the vents. On my koup i was actually s little embarrased man. I was cruising with my sunroof open windows down until i said man screw this am going with the AC. Well it took no shit like 5 minutes to actually feel any cool air coming out through the damn vents and i had it on 2 max ac. Thats pretty damn weak if you ask me. I expected more especially on a 2010 new vehicle.

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
Dude.. I live in Puerto Rico where it is humid as hell. Temperature outside is always above 90 F and with the humidity, the heat index climbs to 105 or 106F. The AC of my Koup works great. I cant dial it below 73 as it will get too cold for my taste. One thing that I hate is that the temperature controller will always set to let fresh air into the car. I really don't like it because it will let the smells from outside get inside the car. Too many cars and trucks leaving smoke curtains when accelerating
if when the a/c is off or at 0, the air circulation icon turns off... but if you hit the air circulation button after the light as turned off, the light will turn back on and not allow from the outside into the car. at least thats how mine works. as far as how well my a/c works, i love it. my previous car had a good a/c but nothing like this one. it gets cold fast and im in Sa, texas and the weather is starting to get like the waiting room to hell... HOT! lol

·
Registered
62 Posts
if when the a/c is off or at 0, the air circulation icon turns off... but if you hit the air circulation button after the light as turned off, the light will turn back on and not allow from the outside into the car. at least thats how mine works. as far as how well my a/c works, i love it. my previous car had a good a/c but nothing like this one. it gets cold fast and im in Sa, texas and the weather is starting to get like the waiting room to hell... HOT! lol

I know what you mean. Dallas is getting to be a hell hole lately. I can't even imagine San Antonio this time of year. I usually get in my car and turn on Max AC on 3 for a few minutes and it gets really cold within about 3-5 minutes. After that I turn on normal AC at about 2 or 1 setting and I am fine the rest of the drive.

Actually most of the time even when it is 90 degrees out with high humidity I get too cold in my car even with my air conditioning at the 1 setting. I end up turning it off and on every 5 minutes to keep a decent temp...

·
Registered
88 Posts
I find you dont need AC doing a 100 on the HW with all the windows open :D J/K My AC works fine and I have my sunroof open 90% of the time and I still get cold.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The AC in my Koupe doesn't work as well as I fell it should either! I live in Northern Florida with a large amount of humidity. I have to let the car idle before i get in to go somewhere. Makes me wish I had a remote start also! I have pretty much coughed it up to being so hot out side, but now that I know so many other people are having the same trouble I'll probably take it in to see the service department.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hear in New Orleans the heat and humidity is miserable. That being said, the A/C works pretty well in my EX Sedan. It does take a couple minutes to get colder as soon as I get in the car after work but keep in mind that it's been baking in 105+ heat and humidity for 8 hours. Overall I'd say it's a "decent system". IMO the best A/C system I have ever seen is in the Nissan Frontiers, my friend has one and it gets cold almost immediately no matter what the temperature outside.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts