Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know everyone is talking about turbos around here, but honestly I've owned both turbo and supercharged FWD cars before. For me, the turbo is faster but does not give you the same around-town fun that a supercharger will.

I was wondering if any companies plan on making a supercharger kit for our cars, and if so what kind of torque does it make?

·
Registered
427 Posts
I know everyone is talking about turbos around here, but honestly I've owned both turbo and supercharged FWD cars before. For me, the turbo is faster but does not give you the same around-town fun that a supercharger will.

I was wondering if any companies plan on making a supercharger kit for our cars, and if so what kind of torque does it make?
Suprechargers are different and usually better for cars that have high redlines. They operate by the belt of a car and are geared to turn about 10x faster than the water pump pulley they are connected to. Turbos can spin much faster and provide more boost usually earlier with less rpm, which would make it a better option for the forte. Although superchargers sound so awesome. I actually prefer them because they require less maintenance and use the same oil routed from the engine.

I agree with you. The Ion redline has a supercharger and it sounds sweet.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I love the sound of a supercharger, I had a 1995 Buick riviera and I'd turn off the radio when merging just to hear the charger whine. Anyway I think the supercharger would be tough on the forte because of its super high compression ratio, and fuel management would probably be a b*tch.

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
I love the sound of a supercharger, I had a 1995 Buick riviera and I'd turn off the radio when merging just to hear the charger whine. Anyway I think the supercharger would be tough on the forte because of its super high compression ratio, and fuel management would probably be a b*tch.
I too would love to see a supercharge Forte/Koup.......
As for fuel and engine management, you HAVE to look at it no matter witch force induction you choose!!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I agree with the last comment.. Either way, you're going to have to modify the ECU programming. A big problem with superchargers is that they use engine power to make power. Turbos, on the other hand, have little to no parasitic draw (which makes them a better choice for 4 cyl. cars). Mind you, I have limited experience with turbo systems, so I may be a little off.. ;)

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Suprechargers are different and usually better for cars that have high redlines. They operate by the belt of a car and are geared to turn about 10x faster than the water pump pulley they are connected to. Turbos can spin much faster and provide more boost usually earlier with less rpm, which would make it a better option for the forte. Although superchargers sound so awesome. I actually prefer them because they require less maintenance and use the same oil routed from the engine.

I agree with you. The Ion redline has a supercharger and it sounds sweet.
You got it backwards, turbos are better for high rpm cars, superchargers make torque down low.

The Forte does not have a high compression ratio, 10.5:1 is about normal these days. I remember the Celica GT-S had 11.5:1 and still managed to use a TRD supercharger.

As far as power is concerned, I'm not aiming at horsepower, I'm aiming at low-end torque.

·
Premium Member
859 Posts
There's a supercharged blue Forte Koup in New Jersey. It's my friend's cousin, he got the supercharger customized for his Forte Koup. I'm pretty sure he hasn't posted anything on the Forums but I'm trying to get his number because he is selling the supercharger. All my friend told me about the blue Koup was, "It's f***in fast"

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
get it, then post the specs of the supercharger for us.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Ryude:

You are right, I made. A mistake.

And hell yeah I want a supercharged Koup if only for the sound!

·
Registered
427 Posts
I think we should subpeona him for video evidence...

There's a supercharged blue Forte Koup in New Jersey. It's my friend's cousin, he got the supercharger customized for his Forte Koup. I'm pretty sure he hasn't posted anything on the Forums but I'm trying to get his number because he is selling the supercharger. All my friend told me about the blue Koup was, "It's f***in fast"

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I bet the fun factor of a supercharged Forte has to be way up there :)

I'd like to have a supercharger for the Gains but Honestly I love the sound of a turbo car if we are going for sounds I just like the sound of the blow off valve when your inbetween shifts Lol

Ya show us some pics or video that'd be great

·
Registered
708 Posts
sc the car would be fun.. but 90% of the time turboing will provide a better outcome it's just inherent with the style of the FI..

·
Registered
708 Posts
I bet the fun factor of a supercharged Forte has to be way up there :)

I'd like to have a supercharger for the Gains but Honestly I love the sound of a turbo car if we are going for sounds I just like the sound of the blow off valve when your inbetween shifts Lol

Ya show us some pics or video that'd be great
hehe there are certain blowers you can do that with for instance i had whine and BOV>. now it didn't sound as whiny as a roots blower but still

but performance wise.. a correctly sized turbo> a sc.. sound wise .. well thats lal opinion

·
Registered
431 Posts
If you guys like the BOV sound you know you could replicate one in a non turbo car.. lols..

Im just saying its possible.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Do you know where in NJ?

1 - 20 of 59 Posts