Kia Forte Forum banner

What color is your coolant?

• Green

• Pink

• I'm too lazy to look

• SHHH Stop asking questions, they're watching....

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
'21 GT Manual
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is really annoying me. My 2021 Forte GT Manual that was built in the Monterrey Mexico plant on 11/2020 has pink coolant. I have not seen a single other GT with pink coolant, it looks like everyone else got green. I have no idea why mine is different. I work in a manufacturing plant, and I suspect I got the cost down coolant due to supply issues. I am trying to figure out why or what the difference is. Please look at the sticker inside the door frame and see when your GT was built, where it was built, then pop the hood and check what color coolant you have. I really want to figure this one out.

Attachments

Reactions: BlueStang

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
4,134 Posts
You got what was available on the assembly line...LOL!

Don't forget to cast your pink vote...:)

The real reason it's pink:

Your car is a girl

JK!!!

·
Administrator
582 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
4,134 Posts
If you look here:

It seems Pink isn't so bad. My 2010 has green and they call it "Older Vehicles" :(
If you read up on "coolant colors" green is good for 60K miles while pink is good for 100K miles.

Maybe Chevrasaki didn't get a bad deal after all...

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Chevraski, Looks like you have company - 2 votes for pink...LOL!

Reactions: Chevrasaki

·
Registered
'21 GT Manual
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Reactions: ForteGT2

·
Registered
252 Posts
'Tis green for me an my Canadian 2021 Forte GT Limited. I wonder if the transmission type matters, and the manuals have pink while the DCTs have green, for some arcane reason?
Nope! Mine is pink and I have the DCT.

I think that is why he asked for build date, build plant, and coolant color. But I believe all Fortes come from Mexico.

MFG date maybe? Or like everything else that is in short supply so was the coolant they were using and only had or could get pink?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Nope! Mine is pink and I have the DCT.

I think that is why he asked for build date, build plant, and coolant color. But I believe all Fortes come from Mexico.

MFG date maybe?
Yeah, it could just be what they had on the line that day. Contrary to popular belief, coolant color is meaningless. There's no standard in that regard. Coolant manufacturers are free to add whatever color additives they want to any coolant, so these are probably functionally identical coolants from different suppliers that used different colors for their blend.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
According to many sites, green is used so that rust can be identified in the fluid, while pink or red colors can mask the rust.

Inorganic Acid Technology (IAT)
Commonly used in the cars produced in USA between 1920 and 1990.
This contains silicates and phosphate corrosion inhibitors to protect metal parts such as the radiator and engine.
Usually found in a bright green color, it is recommended to be flushed out of the cooling system every 30,000 miles or every 2 years. It’s typically used in older cars manufactured before the mid 1990s ( Domestic vehicles from ’20s to ’90s, GM, Ford, Chrysler)
Organic Acid Technology (OAT)
Present in newer cars all over the world, OAT coolant color ranges from orange, bright red, red, blue and dark green.
This does not contain silicates or phosphates, however it contains corrosion inhibitors that enables it to last for a much longer period of time. Special additives are used to prevent rust and corrosion, however metal parts could support some wear in time. It is recommended to be flushed out of the cooling system every 135,000 miles or every 10 years. Typically used in newer cars. While usable in older model cars also, it is best to check the owners manual to make sure that OAT coolants would be safe and effectively used. (Typically used in GM, VW, Honda, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Toyota)
Hybrid Organic Acid Technology (HOAT)
A mix between IAT and OAT coolants, it is designed for new cars. This contains added silicates that increase aluminium protection and prevents corrosion. Additives are also present to prevent rusting. To differentiate these a little easier, HOAT coolants are found in yellow, turquoise, pink, blue or purple colors.
It is recommended to be flushed out of the system every 150,000 miles or 5 years. (Typically used in Major European, German and Asian car manufacturers, Chrysler)

·
Registered
112 Posts
According to many sites, green is used so that rust can be identified in the fluid, while pink or red colors can mask the rust.

Inorganic Acid Technology (IAT)
Commonly used in the cars produced in USA between 1920 and 1990.
This contains silicates and phosphate corrosion inhibitors to protect metal parts such as the radiator and engine.
Usually found in a bright green color, it is recommended to be flushed out of the cooling system every 30,000 miles or every 2 years. It’s typically used in older cars manufactured before the mid 1990s ( Domestic vehicles from ’20s to ’90s, GM, Ford, Chrysler)
Organic Acid Technology (OAT)
Present in newer cars all over the world, OAT coolant color ranges from orange, bright red, red, blue and dark green.
This does not contain silicates or phosphates, however it contains corrosion inhibitors that enables it to last for a much longer period of time. Special additives are used to prevent rust and corrosion, however metal parts could support some wear in time. It is recommended to be flushed out of the cooling system every 135,000 miles or every 10 years. Typically used in newer cars. While usable in older model cars also, it is best to check the owners manual to make sure that OAT coolants would be safe and effectively used. (Typically used in GM, VW, Honda, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Toyota)
Hybrid Organic Acid Technology (HOAT)
A mix between IAT and OAT coolants, it is designed for new cars. This contains added silicates that increase aluminium protection and prevents corrosion. Additives are also present to prevent rusting. To differentiate these a little easier, HOAT coolants are found in yellow, turquoise, pink, blue or purple colors.
It is recommended to be flushed out of the system every 150,000 miles or 5 years. (Typically used in Major European, German and Asian car manufacturers, Chrysler)
I checked the owner's manual, and it's... disappointing in this regard. This is what is specified as the coolant type:

Mixture of antifreeze and water (Ethylene-glycol with phosphate based coolant for cooling device)
Umm, what? This doesn't help. A coolant specification to meet would be nice, or at least a hint of the coolant technology used.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts