Kia Forte Forum banner

What color is your coolant?

• Green

• Pink

• I'm too lazy to look

• SHHH Stop asking questions, they're watching....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
4,422 Posts
You got what was available on the assembly line...LOL!

Don't forget to cast your pink vote...:)

The real reason it's pink:

Your car is a girl

JK!!!

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
4,422 Posts
If you look here:

It seems Pink isn't so bad. My 2010 has green and they call it "Older Vehicles" :(
If you read up on "coolant colors" green is good for 60K miles while pink is good for 100K miles.

Maybe Chevrasaki didn't get a bad deal after all...

·
Registered
4,422 Posts

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Chevraski, Looks like you have company - 2 votes for pink...LOL!

Reactions: Chevrasaki

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
According to many sites, green is used so that rust can be identified in the fluid, while pink or red colors can mask the rust.

Inorganic Acid Technology (IAT)
Commonly used in the cars produced in USA between 1920 and 1990.
This contains silicates and phosphate corrosion inhibitors to protect metal parts such as the radiator and engine.
Usually found in a bright green color, it is recommended to be flushed out of the cooling system every 30,000 miles or every 2 years. It’s typically used in older cars manufactured before the mid 1990s ( Domestic vehicles from ’20s to ’90s, GM, Ford, Chrysler)
Organic Acid Technology (OAT)
Present in newer cars all over the world, OAT coolant color ranges from orange, bright red, red, blue and dark green.
This does not contain silicates or phosphates, however it contains corrosion inhibitors that enables it to last for a much longer period of time. Special additives are used to prevent rust and corrosion, however metal parts could support some wear in time. It is recommended to be flushed out of the cooling system every 135,000 miles or every 10 years. Typically used in newer cars. While usable in older model cars also, it is best to check the owners manual to make sure that OAT coolants would be safe and effectively used. (Typically used in GM, VW, Honda, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Toyota)
Hybrid Organic Acid Technology (HOAT)
A mix between IAT and OAT coolants, it is designed for new cars. This contains added silicates that increase aluminium protection and prevents corrosion. Additives are also present to prevent rusting. To differentiate these a little easier, HOAT coolants are found in yellow, turquoise, pink, blue or purple colors.
It is recommended to be flushed out of the system every 150,000 miles or 5 years. (Typically used in Major European, German and Asian car manufacturers, Chrysler)

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Would be interesting to know if other Forte owners have green or pink coolant in their LXS, S, EX, or GT-Line!

Reactions: Chevrasaki

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Only use the same coolant in your car - don't mix the colors!

On-line search on this subject:

"What happens when you mix green and orange coolant?
The green and orange coolants do not mix. When mixed together they form a gel-like substance that stops coolant flow and consequently the engine overheats. There are some coolants that claim compatibility with Dexcool, but I would rather err conservatively and add what the system is supposed to take rather than gamble."

"Can you mix red and pink coolant?
DO NOT MIX pink and red, they ARE NOT COMPATIBLE! You have an 02 4Runner, yours takes red, mix it with 50% water. Pink is a completely different coolant to the red, its not just premixed red. RED is thicker even after doing the 50/50 mix, and works with the seals differently then the PINK."

"Can I mix antifreeze of different colors?
It's never a good idea to mix two different colors or types of antifreeze. Mixing two formulas won't cause any dangerous reactions or explosions, but it could turn your coolant into a sludgy chemical mixture that won't be able to flow properly through your cooling system."

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
I bought a 2021 forte lxs and noticed it has pink antifreeze. What type of antifreeze do i add to top off overflow tank? Everywhere i have searched says to use asian green but should i be mixing those? What type is the pink? Thanks for the help!
Do NOT mix colors. If you need to top off the coolant reservoir you need to get the same color coolant. There is NOTHING wrong with the pink/red coolant - it actually has a longer life then green coolant.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
From your Owners Manual:

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Most likely. With all the COVID related supply shortages nowadays I’m sure they run out of the “better” (?) pink stuff occasionally and have to use the generic green stuff.
Other way around...I've been buying Kias since 2000 -- ALL of them have/have had green coolant...LOL

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Interesting. I’ve always thought the green stuff was generic and the colored ones were specific for certain manufacturers. Maybe Kia wants to try to make service easier and cheaper?
No telling. Would be nice to know what's behind the different colors.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
So what type is the pink?
I really think you should call your service department and verify that it is pink and not red coolant so that you get the correct coolant.

Online search:
The pink coolant is an OAT (organic acid technology) that typically has a longer service life. The red coolant on the other hand is an IAT (inorganic acid technology) that is considered to be more “conventional” but still longer lasting than some other coolants on the market.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
For those that got pink like me, what type/brand are you buying or did you have them switch it to the green. When i called kia and my dealership that i bought it at, they told me it should be green. It clearly isn't, so just looking here to see what you guys have done. Thanks again!
I'm thinking that the coolant is red - not pink, Please ask your dealer to insure you get the correct fluid.

Here's why I think it is red: UPDATE: CORRECTION - It is PINK!

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Called dealership and they said it is pink antifreeze for sure. My question is what kind/brand did those with pink antifreeze get?i see a zerex asian red but the dealer said pink and i dont see anything at local napa thats actually pink. I asked the dealer if this was a H-OAT with sulphate and they said they didn't know. Any help appreciated guys. Thanks!
See if a parts store in your area sells this brand:

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Thank you a ton, that is one i found i was considering!
If you purchase it - make sure to check it against the fluid in your car. Make sure it matches the color exactly.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
I have pink in my 21 FE and it will soon require a top up. What do I use? I got pink/red Asian Vehicles Peak stuff, but it’s red while the stuff in my car is clearly very pink. View attachment 84028
Original from the car on right, new bottle stuff on left.
View attachment 84029
I'd check with your dealer to be sure.

Red coolant is listed as Organic Acid Technology

Pink is listed as Phosphate enhanced Organic Acid Technology.

Your pictured carton shows it to be more for pink coolant.

Sure is nice of the car and coolant companies to make this so easy...<sarcasm>

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Stuff that drives owners crazy:

Font Screenshot Material property Software Technology

What's the point in having different colors if it's all the same ingredients?!?!

Azure Rectangle Font Electric blue Parallel

1 - 20 of 21 Posts