Kia Forte Forum banner

What color is your coolant?

• Green

• Pink

• I'm too lazy to look

• SHHH Stop asking questions, they're watching....

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
'21 GT Manual
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Nope! Mine is pink and I have the DCT.

I think that is why he asked for build date, build plant, and coolant color. But I believe all Fortes come from Mexico.

MFG date maybe? Or like everything else that is in short supply so was the coolant they were using and only had or could get pink?
In our assembly plant, theres really only three reasons to change anything.
1) Cost-down - The new thing costs less than the old thing
2) Issues - The old thing was causing problems and we fixed those issues with the new thing
3) Availability - The supplier can't produce enough to keep up with demand so we move to another supplier

I'm thinking this is a cost-down, or an availability issue as you mentioned.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
4,134 Posts
Would be interesting to know if other Forte owners have green or pink coolant in their LXS, S, EX, or GT-Line!

Reactions: Chevrasaki

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
4,134 Posts
Only use the same coolant in your car - don't mix the colors!

On-line search on this subject:

"What happens when you mix green and orange coolant?
The green and orange coolants do not mix. When mixed together they form a gel-like substance that stops coolant flow and consequently the engine overheats. There are some coolants that claim compatibility with Dexcool, but I would rather err conservatively and add what the system is supposed to take rather than gamble."

"Can you mix red and pink coolant?
DO NOT MIX pink and red, they ARE NOT COMPATIBLE! You have an 02 4Runner, yours takes red, mix it with 50% water. Pink is a completely different coolant to the red, its not just premixed red. RED is thicker even after doing the 50/50 mix, and works with the seals differently then the PINK."

"Can I mix antifreeze of different colors?
It's never a good idea to mix two different colors or types of antifreeze. Mixing two formulas won't cause any dangerous reactions or explosions, but it could turn your coolant into a sludgy chemical mixture that won't be able to flow properly through your cooling system."

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought a 2021 forte lxs and noticed it has pink antifreeze. What type of antifreeze do i add to top off overflow tank? Everywhere i have searched says to use asian green but should i be mixing those? What type is the pink? Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
I bought a 2021 forte lxs and noticed it has pink antifreeze. What type of antifreeze do i add to top off overflow tank? Everywhere i have searched says to use asian green but should i be mixing those? What type is the pink? Thanks for the help!
Do NOT mix colors. If you need to top off the coolant reservoir you need to get the same color coolant. There is NOTHING wrong with the pink/red coolant - it actually has a longer life then green coolant.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
From your Owners Manual:

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Most likely. With all the COVID related supply shortages nowadays I’m sure they run out of the “better” (?) pink stuff occasionally and have to use the generic green stuff.
Other way around...I've been buying Kias since 2000 -- ALL of them have/have had green coolant...LOL

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Interesting. I’ve always thought the green stuff was generic and the colored ones were specific for certain manufacturers. Maybe Kia wants to try to make service easier and cheaper?
No telling. Would be nice to know what's behind the different colors.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
So what type is the pink?
I really think you should call your service department and verify that it is pink and not red coolant so that you get the correct coolant.

Online search:
The pink coolant is an OAT (organic acid technology) that typically has a longer service life. The red coolant on the other hand is an IAT (inorganic acid technology) that is considered to be more “conventional” but still longer lasting than some other coolants on the market.

·
Registered
112 Posts
From your Owners Manual:

View attachment 83406
The owner's manual doesn't even tell you whether the car takes IAT, OAT, or HOAT coolant. It lists absolutely no specifications that the coolant must meet. All it says is to use "high quality ethylene glycol coolant". That suggests IAT, but the change interval is 200,000 kms (120,000 miles)/10 years for the first change and then every 50,000kms (30,000 miles) /2 years, and IAT coolant doesn't last 10 years. As for colors, they do not matter. There is no standard for coolant colors, and manufacturers can make it whatever color they want. The green and pink coolants have to be the exact same thing, except they are likely from different manufacturers that use different dyes. In cars that take HOAT coolant, it commonly comes in yellow, green, pink, blue, red and orange.

Note that I do not have the section you posted in my owner's manual, which is remarkably vague on the topic of coolant. In fact, I don't think that's any owner's manual, because it appears to list step-by-step instructions.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts