Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
here is my problem i have 2 12'' rockford fosgate 800 watt dual 4 ohms and a 700 watt rockford fosgate amp in a closed box.The amp is bridged i keep poping fuses on the power wire. the power wire is a 8 gage i just dont kno what is wrong. Do i need a bigger power wire or a capacitor any info would help and the bas is at 0 in the car and on the amp and gain is at half

THANKS

·
Registered
444 Posts
A capacitor wont affect whether or not you blow a fuse. They simply help deliver the power to the amp exactly when it needs it. Check if the wire jacket is still good. If you went through the firewall it is possible that the jacket has been cut or worn through and the lead is grounding out before it even gets to the amp. If that's not the problem then check the sub wiring. If your subs are dual voice coils then depending on how you wired the subs you could end up running the anywhere from .5 to 16ohms. Check the wiring and make sure it matches what the amp is capable of. A simple google search will yield sub wiring diagrams. If that doesn't work, maybe consider using a larger fuse on your lead. For 800w a 100A fuse should do. Im running 2400w on a 150A fuse with 4ga lead and ground. 100A should be more than enough for you.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A capacitor wont affect whether or not you blow a fuse. They simply help deliver the power to the amp exactly when it needs it. Check if the wire jacket is still good. If you went through the firewall it is possible that the jacket has been cut or worn through and the lead is grounding out before it even gets to the amp. If that's not the problem then check the sub wiring. If your subs are dual voice coils then depending on how you wired the subs you could end up running the anywhere from .5 to 16ohms. Check the wiring and make sure it matches what the amp is capable of. A simple google search will yield sub wiring diagrams. If that doesn't work, maybe consider using a larger fuse on your lead. For 800w a 100A fuse should do. Im running 2400w on a 150A fuse with 4ga lead and ground. 100A should be more than enough for you.

here is what im working with the subs are wired pos 2 pos and neg 2 neg then ran to the amp and the back of the amp says (in pic) and my power wire is a 6g as is the ground and my fuse is 100a and im on my 2ed one the out side of the fuse melts a little bit befor it pops. so any more info would help
THANKS

Attachments

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
my first question, why do you have it bridged? if the amp is a two channel that is 2 ohm stable(per channel). and each sub is dual 4. oh each sub you would put the pos together. and then the negative together. then wire up each channel.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
also. another thing. where did you attach your power wires?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my first question, why do you have it bridged? if the amp is a two channel that is 2 ohm stable(per channel). and each sub is dual 4. oh each sub you would put the pos together. and then the negative together. then wire up each channel.
there bridged cuz if there on there own only one sub will hit. i tap into the two rear speakers and then ran them to a line converter then to the amp so if i did something wrong can you let me know

·
Registered
444 Posts
If you are bridging the channels then that's what's doing it. Bridge the voice coils to one another (on each sub separately) and connect each sub to each channel.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Bridging the amp will cause the fuse to blow because it will be at 1 ohm mono, the amp can only hold a 4 ohm mono or a 2 ohm stereo. Check your RCA wires. If that don't work switch the speakers to different channels. And if that don't work you have an issue with the power supply in your amp.....

·
Registered
649 Posts
No offence intended but i would take it to a proper install shop. Or you could cause some real damage to your system. If your not sure have it checked out by pro's..:D

·
Registered
119 Posts
How often do the fuses pop? Is there a short in the wire possibly?

·
Registered
289 Posts
First off you can not run the coils in parallel (+ to+ and - to -) and connect each woofer to separate channels on an amp...unless they are in separate air space. you can not run 2 woofers in the same airspace in stereo. They will cross cancel one another. You will get sound but it will be shitty. They must be in mono. And just to clear a few things up... you can not bridge speakers. You bridge the amp. My guess is that the power cable is grounding out on something. If not the output transistors may be blown. If that is the case then the amp would oscillate causing the woofer to cycle without signal and would eventually blow fuses. check your power wire and make sure its not short to ground and while you are at it check your groung to ensure it is okay.

·
Registered
289 Posts
just a question....are the fuses in the amp blowing or the power wire fuse? what are the sizes of the fuses in the amp and what is the size of the fuse in your power wire?

·
Registered
289 Posts
in stereo the woofers will cycle at different rates. When one is pushing the other has a tendency of pulling... canceling sound waves.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts