Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to get the best deal I can and just wondering what some of you who have already purchased the 5-door have paid?

I'm looking at the EX in part because its cheaper and the closest SX around WI is about 340 miles away and Im not partial to ordering one and waiting considering I need it in the next couple weeks as my current vehicle is on its last legs.

·
Premium Member
905 Posts
I haven't seen a member with a 5 door yet. Since they are brand spanking new you will probably have a hard time getting it below sticker. Good luck though!

·
Registered
144 Posts
I paid 16,900 with incentives and trade in. It was hell getting them that low. Also my trade was a 92 olds so I got 700 for it. I got Black EX with locking lug nuts. Sticker was like 18,800.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Classic Kia in Waukegan Illinois is doing 40% off of MSRP on all 2011s but the only 5 door they have is the spicy red and I'm not a huge fan. The one I'm looking at is a black EX as well, but the dealer Im going to also has a white one both listed at 17,300.

My current car isnt listed in the competition so I don't qualify for that but I'm gonna try and talk them down to atleast 16,5

·
Registered
105 Posts
I paid 16,900 with incentives and trade in. It was hell getting them that low. Also my trade was a 92 olds so I got 700 for it. I got Black EX with locking lug nuts. Sticker was like 18,800.
So what's your method for getting 1900 bucks knocked off...?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just bought mine last week. I paid 17.5k for it. Sticker was 18.5 plus the stealerships $500 protection plus stuff (paint protection blah blah). There was a $500 cash back and I got them to knock off their pro plus package + another $500. It was fair from both sides.

·
Registered
144 Posts
So what's your method for getting 1900 bucks knocked off...?
I only made them give up on like 700. Walking out of the dealership made them drop the price. I said my price, they said no, I said I want my keys back Im leaving, they went back and got me the price I wanted.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I only made them give up on like 700. Walking out of the dealership made them drop the price. I said my price, they said no, I said I want my keys back Im leaving, they went back and got me the price I wanted.
Yeah a friends' dad used to do the same when he was a car buyer. I figure I'll try that approach when the time comes. That said on Saturday I went to 2 dealers to test 5 doors. I had already driven on of them (an SX) and wanted to compare it to an EX down in south bay.

So on driving home I stopped by the one dealer with the SX who I had some rapport with a salesman and asked to test again. At this point he figured he had a wild eyed buyer and wanted to go in and run some numbers and do a credit report. I sat down with him at first hoping maybe he'd just throw some figures for consideration, but before I know it I'm feeling like Jonathan Pryce in 'Glengarry Glen Ross' when I thought I made it clear that I was not prepared to purchase this year (next year's what, a month away???) and I really wanted a different color in the base trim level. I humored him by accepting his offer to find one like I wanted(yeah I know my bad, but I knew he would come up empty, there are all of 2 or 3 of these in my county, I've checked all the dealers).

The other salesman by comparo only gave me his card and mentioned if he could help to give him a call, I was also up front with him as well on purchasing.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Okay, -wiping and editing- this entire text. Was one big miscalculation. I'm probably going to be paying around 17,000 for it. I need to re-check this paperwork on wednesday.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I used the Edmunds price calculator to find out the true value of my trade-in and what it would sell outright. I never make an offer on any car. I let the dealer negotiate with himself. This is the 55th car I have purchased in my lifetime.

My recommendation is to strongly go for the SX model. My only option was the sunroof. Otherwise it was perfectly equipped which is the reason I purchased it.

Just look at Edmunds. It has the price others pay and factors in the incentives. Then do the same thing for your trade-in and if you get a clean trade-in, you got the deal you can live with.

There is about a $1,000 markup over invoice to get to MRSP and a 3% holdback. If the dealer is selling it for less than his invoice and hold-back, then he has to have a special incentive to move more iron this month. I have no clue how anyone can sell a car for less than they buy it and stay in business.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Calling several Kia dealerships and telling them you have the other guys down to dealers price gets them to all compete against each other for best total package added to their wholesale.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I used the Edmunds price calculator to find out the true value of my trade-in and what it would sell outright. I never make an offer on any car. I let the dealer negotiate with himself. This is the 55th car I have purchased in my lifetime.

My recommendation is to strongly go for the SX model. My only option was the sunroof. Otherwise it was perfectly equipped which is the reason I purchased it.

Just look at Edmunds. It has the price others pay and factors in the incentives. Then do the same thing for your trade-in and if you get a clean trade-in, you got the deal you can live with.
I've been looking at Edmunds to do just that, but my question for you would be this: If trade in is around 4500 and private party north of that by almost half, which would be a better negotiating point, the trade in or a higher amount of cash on the barrel?

·
Registered
218 Posts
I've been looking at Edmunds to do just that, but my question for you would be this: If trade in is around 4500 and private party north of that by almost half, which would be a better negotiating point, the trade in or a higher amount of cash on the barrel?
If you can't sell it outright you have only the trade-in to go with. One could hold out for more but unless they dig into the hold-back or remove all their profit, I can't see how one can get them to go higher.

Now we all know that if they offer $5,000 for the vehicle they will clean it up and price it about $4,000 higher take $2,000 less so they make most of their profit on the trade-in. People will simply pay more at the dealer than they will from a private individual. This is not always true, but almost always true.

More often than not, the dealer will offer less than the clean trade-in and work up from there. I've had to walk out when they wouldn't meet Edmunds or KBB. I just waited until they got to it or left. I never make an offer.

Here in Texas they have us a bit over the barrel in that the trade-in comes off the sales taxes so that offsets somewhat the private sale which also doesn't account for the fact one would have to go to the courthouse and transfer the titles, and all of that nonsense. I made my deal a little less than a month ago and was out of there within 20 minutes after a deal was struck. I held out my arm and said to "twist it" so he would feel better. I got him down $1,800 over the original price shot me. And I never negotiated or made an offer.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Thanks for you insight missourimule. It'd be nice to sell it and bring cash to the table and have that type of leverage but me thinks one would get a better looking deal on paper with a trade in, especially if it has good value to the dealership and the buying public as you pointed out they have another chance at profit on a second vehicle.

Either way, I want to let the stock build up a little and get my things in order before striking out on a purchase.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought mine, a bronze EX on 26 Nov. Sticker was $18.8k. I paid $17.5k and change. No trade. No wheel locks but it has the auto dimming rearview mirror. The dealer agreed to provide wheel locks when he gets them. I made an offer and walked away. He called me two days later and we made a deal.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yesterday I paid $16,500 out the door for an automatic 5-door EX. No trade in and no financing and no incentives...just cash.

I would have much preferred a stick-shift but they could only bring one in from the east coast or Texas. For $16,700.

Oddly enough, since I did all my paperwork over telephone and fax, I haven't seen or driven a Forte. I trust you guys to have a valid opinion on this car as this forum convinced me to buy this hatchback.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I paid $19.5k for my SX with sunroof and leather and manual. They gave me another $4k for my 00 BMW 528i. It was a fair deal, but not a fantastic one. The salesman ended up buying my BMW, it didn't go to auction. It was in mint condition, but I just didn't feel like selling it on my own. I probably could have gotten about $6k for it if I did.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I was offerd internet price of $18,869.00 out the door SX-5 cloth with sunroof . MSRP was $20,840.00 Oklahoma city area ...Just orderd & put down a deposit $400.00 for a Titanium SX-5 im sure the price i offer will be lower than the so called internet price...:D

1 - 20 of 51 Posts