Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I ordered my rims the other day. They should have shipped today but it got me wondering. What exactly is hyper black? Is it a material? A color? What? The reason I ask is because I have to do something with that front grille. Since Hyper Black is not chrome I think it will look odd to have that on my rims and have a grille with chrome on it. I was thinking it would be cool to have the chrome matched to the Hyper black but I am not sure if it's a type of paint color or something else...If anyone knows I would appreciate knowing where I can find the color or a place that can do it...Thanks...

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
So I ordered my rims the other day. They should have shipped today but it got me wondering. What exactly is hyper black? Is it a material? A color? What? The reason I ask is because I have to do something with that front grille. Since Hyper Black is not chrome I think it will look odd to have that on my rims and have a grille with chrome on it. I was thinking it would be cool to have the chrome matched to the Hyper black but I am not sure if it's a type of paint color or something else...If anyone knows I would appreciate knowing where I can find the color or a place that can do it...Thanks...
Not that I wouldn't do something like this either so I'm not trying to be rude, but you ordered wheels in a color you don't know about? It's not like they're $20 and if they suck then oh well...wheels are expensive. I hope it works out for you and would love to see some pics when you get them in

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not that I wouldn't do something like this either so I'm not trying to be rude, but you ordered wheels in a color you don't know about? It's not like they're $20 and if they suck then oh well...wheels are expensive. I hope it works out for you and would love to see some pics when you get them in

a5ylum5150....I'm not trying to be rude either but I think I know my wheels aren't 20 bucks...I didn't drop a grand not knowing what they look like. I know exactly what they look like. I know of quite a few people who knew everything about the wheels they ordered only to be disappointed by the quality when they received them so I hope your not suggesting I made a decision in haste because I am asking a question that so many people on so many different forums have asked about this type of wheel. If you look at hyper black wheels they all can look so different....Google 'em and see if you can come to a conclusion...Some look black..some look gunmetal...some look like chrome....So I guess my question should be more like "What is the process to make hyper black wheels because the final product looks different on each manufacturer"????

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hyper Black is a color [sort of a black chrome] . here is an example: ROTA RB HYPERBLACK Wheels - Buy ROTA Wheels Online at Victoria Tire & Wheel

I have these on my Miata. www.microsoftinstructor.com/miataweb
Thanks Michael....Helps a little....Depending on the manufacturer and the wheel they all seem so different....This whole process of picking out my wheels was like my fiance picking out her wedding dress. Took forever but as soon as I saw them I knew they were the ones!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,601 Posts
Like you said it all depends on the wheel and brand, they're all different. You're just gonna have to wait and see how dark they end up being and decide what you wanna do with the grille from there.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Like you said it all depends on the wheel and brand, they're all different. You're just gonna have to wait and see how dark they end up being and decide what you wanna do with the grille from there.
Well yea....That's why I wanted to know what the process of creating hyper black wheels were. If it's a type of paint I can buy (which I just found on the internet that they do sell it), then maybe I have enough skills to do it myself. If it's a different process all together then maybe there is a company that can do it for me at a price. Problem is the information I have found so far is limited...I will have to keep searching!

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
a5ylum5150....I'm not trying to be rude either but I think I know my wheels aren't 20 bucks...I didn't drop a grand not knowing what they look like. I know exactly what they look like. I know of quite a few people who knew everything about the wheels they ordered only to be disappointed by the quality when they received them so I hope your not suggesting I made a decision in haste because I am asking a question that so many people on so many different forums have asked about this type of wheel. If you look at hyper black wheels they all can look so different....Google 'em and see if you can come to a conclusion...Some look black..some look gunmetal...some look like chrome....So I guess my question should be more like "What is the process to make hyper black wheels because the final product looks different on each manufacturer"????
I havent really looked into them but will be very soon as i need new tires...Lookin forward to seeing how yours are so it can help me get a better understanding

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I havent really looked into them but will be very soon as i need new tires...Lookin forward to seeing how yours are so it can help me get a better understanding
Well honestly I wasn't trying to get testy...I hear what you're saying. I will definetely post pics but the one thing I know from having wheels on previous cars is they never look the same in a pic and in person. And never look the same on one car to another. Sucks eh?

Just to show ya what I am talking about. Here are two wheels. Both from Ruff Racing. Both Hyper Black. One (the one I chose - RR r395) looks more chrome and the other one looks more gunmetal. The pic of the car is with the one I chose which is what sold me on the wheel but looks nothing like BLACK CHROME.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
905 Posts
It looks like a slightly darker than average chrome. I imagine that it's like any other "chrome" where you can have it chrome plated (chromium molecules chemically applied to the object) or you can get a can of paint that will give you a "chrome like finish". I'm sure you can guess which method will actually be durable.

As far as the plating goes, my guess is that the different shades of chrome come from using a different chromium-having molecule (i.e. the chromium atoms are arranged differently or they introduce different elements to the molecule).

And that concludes your completely speculative science lesson for the day.

Edit for clarification: think of chroming like powder coating. You can't really do it yourself but you can find cheap paint that will give you that "look".

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
my advice for the "hyper black" look if you wanna do it to your grille is to head down to autozone/ advanced auto/ pep boys, etc. and they sell a product that darkens chrome rims into a "hyperblack" look, its kinda like nite shades but for the rims. i think its callled "shadow" something, get it, and paint over your chrome grille with it. it should tint it enough to make it look hyper black

EDIT:

Here's the name of the product
"Dupli-Color SHD1000 Shadow Black Chrome Coating Spray"

and here's a linky: (notice its only for a "black tinted effect over chrome")

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Well honestly I wasn't trying to get testy...I hear what you're saying. I will definetely post pics but the one thing I know from having wheels on previous cars is they never look the same in a pic and in person. And never look the same on one car to another. Sucks eh?

Just to show ya what I am talking about. Here are two wheels. Both from Ruff Racing. Both Hyper Black. One (the one I chose - RR r395) looks more chrome and the other one looks more gunmetal. The pic of the car is with the one I chose which is what sold me on the wheel but looks nothing like BLACK CHROME.
Yea I see what youre saying....nice choice btw haha

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So the wheels came in so I wanted to revisit this thread....My hope is to get the right paint code so I can paint my front grille.....Question I now have is this - Do I paint the entire grille Hyper Black or do I just paint the chrome accent piece of the front grille the Hyper Black.....Opinions appreciated on this.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts