Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
708 Posts
Air fuel ratios are simple: 14.7:1 is perfect - maximum power generated for each unit of air vs. fuel. Anything else, either rich or lean, will make less power. Rich will cost a fortune as your fuel economy falls, and lean tends to generate too much heat and you'll start wrecking things.

Turbos need engine management because the amount of air they generate requires more fuel than the stock computer is programmed to provide through stock injectors but they'll ideally aim for the exact same 14.7:1 ratio - with maybe a slight nudge to the rich side of the ratio for safety reasons.

The point of my post is this: you can gain more horsepower in other ways than a program or reflash will ever do with stock components. So start there, and by the time you actually need a change in engine control, something may be available.
oh god i hope you dont tune your car personally

your car aims for 14.7 at idle and cruising that doesnt change no matter what you have done to it .. on WOT for N/a engines your car should aim for 13-13.5 or so being WOT at 14.7 is lean that might be good for an NA direct injection car but even that might be much

boost you want 11-low 12s afr at wot, with meth you can get away with 12-12.8 but thats pushing it .. ( depends on knock for the engine)

further more .. turbokits dyno sheet shows their car going down into low 11's and even high 10s afr wise.. a good tune could pick up as much as 20 or so whp just bringing the AFR up to 13s and tweaking timing a bit from the looks of it. a retune on this car will gain more then any single bolt on

i'd honestly be surprised if you guys get tuning in the next 6 months maybe even not before the end of this year .. cracking an ecm isnt easy

· Registered
708 Posts
i also asked the guy that does my tuning .. he said it would be about a year from now .. if he had to start from the ground up. thats if he started right away.. and right now he has cracking saabs as well as the new vauxhall insignia OPC (buick lacross) so it would be a bit.. however he is very interested in you guys

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.