Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys (and girls!), I was wondering at what interval you change your oil and filter, and why?...

Owner’s Manual gives only two options:

1. Normal Driving Conditions: 12 months _ 7,500 miles
2. Severe Driving Conditions: 3 months _ 3,000 miles

if your car falls under any of the following conditions, it somehow makes you a severe driver.

A- Repeatedly driving shorts distance of less than 5 miles in normal temperatures or less than 10 miles in freezing temperature.
B- Extensive engine idling or low speed driving for long distances.
C- Driving on rough, dusty, muddy, unpaved, graveled or salt-spread roads.
D- Driving n areas using salt or other corrosive materials or in very cold weather.
E- Driving in sandy areas.
F- Driving in heavy traffic area over 90F.
G- Driving on uphill, downhill, or mountain road.
H- Towing a Trailer, or using a camper, or roof rack.
I- Driving as a patrol car, taxi, other commercial use or vehicle towing.
J- Driving over 100 MPH.
K- Frequently driving in stop-and-go conditions.

I fall under A & B, but changing oil at 3,000 miles can get expensive and may be unnecessary.
Also, A & B can be open to interpretation, for example: what is considered low speed driving?
What is a long distance? What is a short distance?

And thus, I have arrived to the conclusion to change my oil at 5,000 miles. It’s somewhat of an intermediate point between Severe and Normal driving…

Maybe I’m over thinking it..

·
Registered
196 Posts
5000 or 7500 would be fine for the majority of drivers. A good quality synthetic along with a good quality oil filter would be best. Check your oil at least monthly and you will be fine. The old school 3 months 3000 miles is to make the oil companies richer.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
$20 bucks for an oil change is expensive?

It's not $20 bucks for an oil change at the dealer, more like 35$ to 40$... Also, I wouldn't want to use anything other than a KIA filter, especially after that one incident on another thread: The after market filter leaked oil and the guy had to pay for repairs (because it wasn't covered under warranty)

The dealer uses regular Mobil oil, and apparently KIA does not recommend synthetic (according to one of the Service Guys, sounds like BS!)

·
Registered
139 Posts
i deliver pizza, putting over 3k miles a month on it.

summer, i use mobil synthetic and change it every 7.5k.

winter, i use mobil one conventional and change it every 5k.

I use the synthetic in the summer because i live in the south and synthetics work better under more extreme temperatures, especially with the car running almost 8 hours a day, and i cant say every xx months as i get mine changed well before the time runs out.

So far, oil changes at 2.2k, 9.3k, 16.1k.

·
Registered
973 Posts
kia not recommending synthetic sounds like bullchit..
I go every 5k miles and change oil and filter
I drive 37 miles to school, most of it open country road, but some hectic stop and go traffic when I get closer to the school. Also drive it to wokr which is a small distance.
It says you fall under extreme driving conditions if you only drive small distances because those conditions don't give your car time enough to get to operating temperature.
ran royal purple 5w30 in it with k&n filter this time, going to go with the same filter and mobil 1 synthetic 5w20 this time, which is going to be when I buy my fumoto valve to replace the oil drain plug. I've just now turned over 19k miles, I'll have had the car for a year the 2nd or 3rd of January.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I've always changed my oil at 3,000 on every car.. when I run synthetic I go about 5000 miles or 6,000 but that depends on the oil filter i use too.

2,213 Posts
Wix filters are the best!! i only know cause i used to work in an auto parts store. some dude selling a crap filter came in, and wanted to prove how much better his oil filter was then wix. so he randomly picked a wix filter off the shelf, cut his no name brand open, and had some other filter i forget the name of, and then cut the wix open. the wix was so much better inside. then the other 2. better rubber gaskets, more filter paper. the dude was in such shock, he paid for the filter he destroyed and just walked out the door, head hung low! lol

·
Registered
585 Posts
It's not $20 bucks for an oil change at the dealer, more like 35$ to 40$... Also, I wouldn't want to use anything other than a KIA filter, especially after that one incident on another thread: The after market filter leaked oil and the guy had to pay for repairs (because it wasn't covered under warranty)

The dealer uses regular Mobil oil, and apparently KIA does not recommend synthetic (according to one of the Service Guys, sounds like BS!)
$40 bucks is not expensive either.

Now this hurts: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_much_does_a_oil_change_cost_on_a_ferrari

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wix filters are the best!! i only know cause i used to work in an auto parts store. some dude selling a crap filter came in, and wanted to prove how much better his oil filter was then wix. so he randomly picked a wix filter off the shelf, cut his no name brand open, and had some other filter i forget the name of, and then cut the wix open. the wix was so much better inside. then the other 2. better rubber gaskets, more filter paper. the dude was in such shock, he paid for the filter he destroyed and just walked out the door, head hung low! lol
What's a Wix filter? I've never ever heard of it... I used to work at a local auto part store called Pep Boys and sold FRAM, Mobil 1, Purolator, K&N, AC Delco, Motorcraft, Royal Purple... PLEASE EXPLAIN! :D

·
Premium Member
859 Posts
I got my oil change at 1200 miles due to the fact other Forte Koups had aluminum build up inside their engines due to dirty oil. Better safe than sorry. I explained my reasoning to the dealer, they completely understood and I received my oil change.

I'm also storing my Forte Koup for the next 2 years in a car storage. My mileage should be around 5000 miles when I get my last oil change before I store it. Also having mechanics run a lot of tests of my Koup to make sure it's good to go for the lengthy car storage. So my cases for my oil changes are unique but reasonable.

·
Registered
215 Posts
So far( 12K miles), I've been changing oil at the dealer every 3,000 - 4,000 miles. The dealer uses bulk Kendall oil ( as stated in the invoice of about $37). Since Forte uses 5w-20, I don't know my somewhat aggressive (keeping above 3k rpm when accelerating) driving style would degrade the oil sooner or not... so just to be on the safe side, I change earlier than later.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I was listening to this guy on tv and he had mentioned that with the new cars and their technology getting better, you could change your oil after 10,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
^^^^
well you could do that now LOL..
but your motor would not be happy
oil with that kind of miles on it is going to be water thin black and full of ickyness metal shavings etc.. not good for long motor life..

Even with the great oil filters we have these days there not good enough for 10,000 miles lol

Where did you see this anyway? I'm just curious

·
Registered
196 Posts
I got my oil change at 1200 miles due to the fact other Forte Koups had aluminum build up inside their engines due to dirty oil. Better safe than sorry. I explained my reasoning to the dealer, they completely understood and I received my oil change.
I do similar for my first oil change. I changed mine at about 1300 miles. I believe it is better safe than sorry for cleaning anything that might be left over from the manufacturing or initial break in time. I had the dealer do this change and it was about $34. They used 5w30 Mobil and of course the KIA filter. This also gave me the opportunity to check out the underside while it was on the lift.

Also they had a display with the KIA filter cut open and a generic filter (they didn't know the brand). The KIA filter appears to be a very good quality. The tech said he wasn't sure but recalled being told it was the Mobil one filter branded as KIA. If someone could confirm this I am sure we would like to know.

·
Registered
144 Posts
^^^^
well you could do that now LOL..
but your motor would not be happy
oil with that kind of miles on it is going to be water thin black and full of ickyness metal shavings etc.. not good for long motor life..

Even with the great oil filters we have these days there not good enough for 10,000 miles lol

Where did you see this anyway? I'm just curious
Lots of companies are now suggesting longer maintenance intervals. BMW and VW both suggest 10k miles or more. You can buy oil that lasts until 15000 miles. Its always best to follow the service manual though. If the manual says 10k then wait 10k. If it says 3k, change at 3k.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
^^^
Ya I've heard of oil eco friendly oil etc..
and yeah I agree to follow what your car company says to do for oil changes but honestly if they say 10,000 miles then you are covered to go that long with out worry about warrentey issues but well half to agree to disagree about this being ok for the motor.. as a child of a motor builder I'd never feel comfortable leaving oil in a car for 10,000 miles.

oil breaks down just sitting in a car for a few months even if the car is not being run.. but again if your covered under warrenty then ok, but if it was my car I'd still change it every 3,000 miles and my first oil change around thousand.

I'll bow out of this topic now with a smile, and best wishes and no disrespect

1 - 20 of 41 Posts