Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting to shop for a replacement for my 2000 Celica. My key requirement is something fuel efficient that is also fun to drive. I drive 110miles round trip to work everyday all highway. 6th gear sitting at around 2600rpms at 80mph is a big plus for me. Also must fit someone who is 6'7.

New Cars I'm considering:
Forte Koup SX 6 speed
Mini Cooper S
Mitsubishi Lancer GTS
Mazda 3s hatch
Honda Civic SI
Hyundai Genesis coupe
Subaru Impreza WRX(ok...if I decide to nix the fuel economy and would rather throw snow in winter)

May still go the used route as well.

What all else did you look at? How do you feel the Koup compared?

·
Registered
973 Posts
are you not too tall for a 3s or a cooper?

I looked at a couple early 2000's IS300's, a mercedes kompressor, and a mazda 3 hatch
the mazda 3 was actually also at the dealership I got my forte from, it turns out it is WAY easier to qualify for financing for a 15k brand new car than for a 10k 4 year old car
lol
good luck with the search, I know it's a pain but it'll be worth it when you find the perfect match

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
I actually didn't consider any other car. I wasn't even in the market to buy a new car and I drive past a Kia dealership daily and I found myself looking at the forte every day and finally did the research. Liked what I read, test drove it and bought it.

For the price and features no other car is close

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
I was originally interested in the Dodge Avenger and the Honda Fit. I was leaning toward the Fit until I saw how small it was. Then I thought about the civics. For shits and giggles I figured I would check out the Kia website, and see what they had to offer. Once I saw the Forte and the Koup I knew I had to pay Kia a visit.
My plan was to get a sedan, but I test drove a Koup first. That was it, game over! Never test drove the sedan, I knew what I wanted. Took a day to decide on color and leather option. Had my car 2 days later =]

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
i honestly dont think any other car in its class can match the forte's physical looks. i love the way the forte looks. as far as head room goes, i do know there are a couple of members that say that they dont have much room cuz theyre tall. i have an ex model and im 6'3" and i have no problem fitting inside. i also was looking at the mazda3 hatch but went with the koup instead cuz i love its looks

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I looked at:

Genesis Coupe
Mitsubishi Evo
Civic SI
Celica GTS

Honestly, I was questioning buying any one of these... because I wanted something that really screamed me! All of these cars I couldn't picture myself in for some reason. I'm a huge car enthusiast, and so is my friend. And when he reminded me of the Forte Koup (after I got into my car accident and needed a new car) I immediately fell in love. I confess, I was outrageously obsessed with this car until I finally got her. I still have magazine clippings of her underneath the glass of my desk. The koup is just so unique and so practical... so me! :) And I would have gone the Genesis Coupe way if it weren't for the horrible head room in the back seats in the Genesis... If you wanted to punish someone you can buy that car and stick them in the back!

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
in all fairness, you dont buy a coup/koup if you are going to have multiple ppl in your car. i have had more than 2 ppl in my car only on 1 occasion and that was when my mom and dad wanted a test drive. if you want a car with power in it already and that looks clean and that you can mod as soon as you get it, i would go with any other car than the forte koup because(in reality) not a big engine and nearly no performance/body mods out on the market YET. if you dont plan on doing major things to the car and you want a car that gets AMAZING gas( i get nearly 30+-mpg) and looks hot already i would so go for the forte koup cuz IMO the mini, lancer(more so than the rest), and the civics are terrible looking. blah. and again, my opinion so no civic/mini/lancer fans bashing me :) I LOVE THE FORTE KOUP

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm squeezing 38-40mpg out of my celica on my 99.5% highway commute. Curious how the koup would do in that situation.

Don't care about back seat space. But I gotta say the trunk is very underwhelming coming from a hatch. But otherwise love the car and never thought i'd say that about a Kia.

·
Registered
104 Posts
i wont lie im a huge evo fan.. i love its new aggresive stance and power.. but i hate its price!!! i test drove the civic si and the scion tc. i went with the koup because it handles way better than the civic and tc and has an aggressive stance and front diffuser like the evo.. also price was great considering the dealer is installing black leather/ blue suede custom seats.. i love this car and most of my friends are now looking into buying kias.. might i add that i used to get bashed on when i first bought the spectra sx..

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I'm squeezing 38-40mpg out of my celica on my 99.5% highway commute. Curious how the koup would do in that situation.

Don't care about back seat space. But I gotta say the trunk is very underwhelming coming from a hatch. But otherwise love the car and never thought i'd say that about a Kia.
I'm getting about 32 mpg in my city drive. And I'm a huge lead footer. I def push the pedal to the metal. On the way to austin on a huge highway drive, i averaged about 34-36 mpg. (Note: I was not really paying attention to how I drove then) But if you're into gas mileage you should consider the EX over the SX. Just a thought.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Well I'm not talking Evo, just the 'sport' package lancer which is in the same price range and performs similarly to the koup. With a few more bell and whistle options.

·
Registered
104 Posts
i see... well the koup is much more stylish than the gts... idk if thats a factor you are considering..

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't know, I like the current Lancer's mean look. Certainly one of the better looking sedans in the price range out there. Do have to admit the Koup looks quite like a Civic copy. I like them all enough to consider, but yeah more interested in driving performance than looks.

·
Registered
104 Posts
well the next step is test driving... always fun..=D

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
But if you're into gas mileage you should consider the EX over the SX. Just a thought.
Well the EX handling is junk. Doesn't meet the "but still fun to drive" part of the equation. Plus the tilt and telescopic steering wheel is an absolute necessity.

If I go for all out mileage I'd get a Golf TDI.

·
Registered
211 Posts
The EX handling is fun enough for me. Plus, in Canada, we get the tilt/telescoping wheel ,).

Anyways, these were my test drives:

Saturn Astra XR - gorgeous car, could fit my frame, panoramic sunroof was the best, $8000 GM rebate; decided against it due to it being discontinued after 2 model years with Saturn's closing as I didn't feel like importing Opel/Vauxhall parts

Ford Focus - Looks like crap, ride's comfortable enough, too many bland buttons inside

Mazda3 GS sedan - Great drive, great comfort, nicest interior, front end looks like crap, worst on fuel out of all test drives (but still good enough), was my second choice but the Forte was a better price with a better warranty and a nicer exteriorž

Toyota Corolla S - Like the looks inside and out, bland drive, costs more than it's worth

Honda Civic DX-G - Almost as ugly as the Focus, terrible to drive, expensive; how the hell is this Canada's best-selling compact?

Pontiac Vibe 1SB - Looks nice, great cargo space, worst to drive, cabin noise on highway is unbearable

In the end, the Forte EX sedan would have lost to the Mazda 3 GS sedan if the Mazda price was lower and the warranty was comparable.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Plus, getting a diesel or a hybrid just for "gas savings" doesn't really make sense to me, since they are thousands of dollars more expensive to begin with. For most of these models, you'll find that by the time you broke even with the more efficient vehicle, it's already 10 years old. Now, I do see myself owning the same car that long, but only if it turns out to be a very reliable car.

For diesels, I was referring to what's presently available in North America. If we get as many choices as in Europe, I'd definitely consider it.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Plus, getting a diesel or a hybrid just for "gas savings" doesn't really make sense to me
Agreed, though with my long commute I make it up faster than most. Plus I'd never get a hybrid unless they made one with a manual transmission. Plus a hybrid would do me no good. Highways are where the diesels reign.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts