Kia Forte Forum banner

What is the best option for my poor hood??

• Get a new one!

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Repaint it!

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • Matte black wrap it!

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • CF wrap it!

Votes: 3 13.6%

What should I do about my hood?!

4K views 29 replies 19 participants last post by  SX FORTE 
#1 ·
Anyone in the northeast could vouch how bad of a winter we had this year thus having to constantly clean off the car from the feet of snow. I made a silly mistake by taking a frozen brush to push off the snow on my koup. I tried not to get too close to the paint cuz I knew I was gunna scratch it and what do ya know? I did! Badly!!!! It's only my hood but it's rly bad!! There's 2 huge scratches and then a lot of smaller ones around the whole area. I failed to mention it before cuz i just didn't have the money to do anything about it but it's bugging me too much to have to look at it everyday. I have a few ideas on what I wanta do but need some help deciding! Should I get the hood repainted? Get a new hood? Matte black wrap it? CF wrap it? I want to wrap it rly badly but am not sure how it would look on my bright silver Koup. Any ideas??

#8 ·
I am getting excited cuz I wanta do it so badly! Would the hood need to be sanded down first or can they just lay the wrap over the hood with the scratches?? I'll take a pic of the hood when I can cuz it's bad :( I actually didn't realize it until days after I brushed the snow off and saw it coming out of applebees when I was under a street light and was furious!! Thanks for the replies guys (except KIA lol). I am def leaning towards a matte wrap! Need an estimate if anyone can chime in on how much it may cost

#9 ·
You could also try to polish and wax it out... I'm just sayin.

#10 ·
No idea how bad the scratches are. Photos might help. If you can feel them with your fingernail then polishing won't remove them... at least not completely. But I've polished down some deep scratches to where they were difficult to see.

You may want to try some Megs Ultimate Compound and some elbow power to remove the scratches.

That and don't use the plastic part of the ice scraper on paint?

#13 ·
To me, the matte wrap looks like someone primered a hood and forgot to finish. I've only seen pictures, so maybe they look alot better than I believe.

#15 ·
The scratches r pretty deep and i already had the area buffed with compound and its still rly bad. Thanks for the input guys! Would I have to buy the wrap and then bring it somewhere? And where would I get this done?

#16 ·
If the scratches are so deep that they can't be buffed out (with a machine - not by hand), won't they show through a wrap? I'm not familiar with the thickness of the material you're referring to. If it were me, I'd get a professional's opinion about getting it wet sanded & buffed before I concealed it beneath a sheet of vinyl.

#22 ·
It has been wet sanded and buffed and whatever else lol I went to the dealer and I know the detailer there and he did it for me but they were so bad that all that could be done was them being reduced but farrrr from gone. Like u corsa, idk if it'll show through the wrap. I need to find a place that does this and ask them.
It's not going to show thru. The vinyl is a pretty heavy ply. Do this, order a sample sheet online and slap it over the scratch so you can see if you are worried.

#17 ·
It has been wet sanded and buffed and whatever else lol I went to the dealer and I know the detailer there and he did it for me but they were so bad that all that could be done was them being reduced but farrrr from gone. Like u corsa, idk if it'll show through the wrap. I need to find a place that does this and ask them.

#26 ·
Matte gray rap the hood +1

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.