Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
'21 Forte FE 6-Speed
1,627 Posts
For the 2024 model year Kia will probably introduce a new Forte, undoubtedly based on the same platform as the current generation Hyundai Elantra.

That Elantra is long, low and swoopy as opposed to the current Forte's more taller stance. The typical Elantra has more goodies like independent rear suspension and electronic parking brake. A longer wheelbase, too.

Given the current gen Elantra carries over with the IVT and 2.0 and 1.6T engines, don't expect many mechanical changes for the new Forte.

I'm hopeful Kia stays with European styling and more minimalist philosophy, such as the manual parking brake. I don't mind the non-independent rear suspension -- it keeps the cost down.

One change I would love is more soft touch interior materials, particularly on the door cards.

What say you? What should Kia offer to us with the new Forte?
A proper sports car version along the lines of the Elantra N. Big power, available manual transmission, and track-focused suspension with an LSD and active exhaust. Basically the Kia version of an N product.

If that doesn't happen, then I'd like to see the Forte GT remain with the wide spread of options it has, from the relatively inexpensive manual transmission, manual seat, and fun-to-drive goodies only type of thing all the way to the loaded DCT with leather, heated and vented seats, full screen dash, pano roof, etc. Basically how the Elantra GT used to be.

·
Registered
'21 Forte FE 6-Speed
1,627 Posts
The GT, I'd like to see at least an option for a mechanical LSD. Better padding for the door and center armrest. Ditch the dual mass flywheel on the manual. A mode select with memory of last setting. Better sound dampening (the Soul has a more quiet interior than the Forte).

A manual option for the GT-Line and independent rear suspension. An LSD with an slightly higher redline. If Mazda can raise the redline to 7500 rpm with their Skyactiv 2.0, so can Kia.

2.0 engines, ditch the MAF. The Soul doesn't have one.
1.6T engines, dual injection. If not, at least the Smartstream 1.6T.
Agreed. AFAIK the 2.0 manual has a single mass flywheel and it’s one of the reasons I got my FE. No rev hang whatsoever and super rev happy. Revs to 6800, but feels like it could just keep going. Also agreed on the MAF. Restricts flow and intake upgrade options. Manual IRS GT-Line would be awesome. Takes the best parts of the GT and my car and combines them

Reactions: mobileterminaluser

·
Registered
'21 Forte FE 6-Speed
1,627 Posts
A 2 door koup, manual, automatic or with both, double din stereo (in the dash & not sticking out), manual seats (like 1st gen scion/adjustments), 2.4L turbo & NA.

Stroger, plastics that don't scratch the eff so easily.

No ultra special headlight bulbs with weird designs, connections, plugs.

Chilton & Haynes type full workshop/repair manuals.

A 2024 version of the 1st gen.
See I like the screen sticking out of the dash. It doesn't block your vision at all and you don't have to move your eyes very far at all to see the map or whatever you have up

·
Registered
'21 Forte FE 6-Speed
1,627 Posts
For the next gen I would like to see more safety tech in the lower trims like blind spot, adaptive cruise, LED projector headlights, and Forward Collision Assist. I think safety tech should be optional on every trim level and not locked behind a pay wall of the highest trims! That’s for all cars. not just the Forte. I hope to see the Forte as an IIHS Top Safety Pick Plus for this next Gen, 2021 Was a top safety pick, now it’s not for the 2022, not sure why exactly. I only looked at cars that were IIHS Top Safety Picks when looking at new cars, Safety is very important to me.

Visually, not much needs to change, I think it looks modern without being offensive.

Mechanically, I’d love to see an LSD in the Forte. I can hope for a manual for the base 2.0, but doubt that will ever happen any time soon. I hope it will stay rather lightweight as well. Additionally it needs better tires from factory, the stock ones aren’t that great in any weather.

Interior wise it just needs to be simple and functional. I think the current materials are fine and easy to clean. I would like to see wireless Apple car play and a heads up display. I hope we can get heated and ventilated seats in a non gt line or Gt trim as well. I’m probably missing a few things, but they don’t have to reinvent the wheel for this next gen!
Manual in the base 2.0 is already dead ('21 was the last year), which is unfortunate as it was a great combo.

Safety features are expensive, so they will stay behind a paywall of higher trims unless the base price jumps, which won't happen if they want to stay competitive (also the 3 star rear side impact likely didn't help the safety pick aspect. If you truly want safety, an original Saab 9-5 or P2-chassis Volvo XC90 will walk basically any car made today in a crash test with the exception of the new S Class and maybe a select few others. Many cars are built to the test, not true safety, but that's a story for another day).

Stock tires will stay because they are cheap and get good mileage, which is a bummer, but likely good enough for the average compact sedan buyer.

Would also love to see an LSD, but it's unlikely unless they make an Elantra N equivalent, since Kia doesn't put LSDs in any of its 1.6T offerings. A Forte N would be awesome, and something I hope they make. If the can differentiate it from the Elantra enough, I think there's a market for it.

Heated and vented seats would slap! Love me some vented seats. Would love to see that, and it's something I could see them doing, at least on higher trims or as optional extras on mid trims.

Agreed they don't have to reinvent the wheel, and they likely won't. I'm expecting a more Elantra-like experience, so similar to what we are used to but slightly sportier with newer tech.

Reactions: Shiesty and AP1929

·
Registered
'21 Forte FE 6-Speed
1,627 Posts
I have two ways of thinking on this. A Forte GT-R with 2.0L and limited slip would be nice but the price would also climb. The $26,000 price is what sold me so anything higher would be a hard sell for me regardless of capability. I love cars but not enough to spend over $30,000 on any.

As far as improving what we already have and keeping price the same. I would be interested in seeing what a taller final drive ratio in the 6spd manual would do overall. In the 2019-2023 model first gear overwhelms the front tires with ease and the rpms at 80mph are too high. AUTO UP/DOWN WINDOWS ON ALL FOUR DOORS. I would easily give up the lane keep/follow if I could gain auto windows. Just don't eliminate the heated seats (6spd does not have remote start).

I honestly can not think of anything else, this car checks all the boxes for price, power, size, comfort, features and fit and finish. I really have no desire to buy a "nicer" more expensive car. I work at a body shop and we see many high end cars and none of the expensive vehicles impress me at all knowing they cost two to three times what my Forte GT cost me.
Yes I forgot about auto up windows. I HATE having to hold the button when I need to steer and shift at the same time. Taller final drive in the 6MT would be nice.

• Haha
Reactions: Hamster-GT

·
Registered
'21 Forte FE 6-Speed
1,627 Posts
I used to say something along the lines of this when cars were smaller with manuals with hand crank windows. Lol
See I quite like crank windows because there isn’t much to break. If I have power windows, make them auto. I wonder if you can convert our cars to auto up (at least for the driver window).

·
Registered
'21 Forte FE 6-Speed
1,627 Posts
That would be nice. Some cars are as easy as doing a switch swap and soldering in a jumper wire.
At some point I'm gonna do a little bit of research about that. If my friend's 2014 Elantra has it, my car can too as far as I'm concerned. Hopefully it's simple

·
Registered
'21 Forte FE 6-Speed
1,627 Posts
Don't know why two-door cars are so unpopular in America. Had several Mustang hatchbacks and they were incredibly useful vehicles.
It’s a recent trend for sure. Everything used to have a 2 door variant. Now it’s just sports cars.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts