Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was noodling around under the hood and needed to turn the ignition to "ON" without starting the car. somewhere around the right side of the engine I kept hearing this continuous "ticking sound" almost like an electric spark repeating itself...!?!??:confused:

I can't really hear the same sound on my son's Koup.....has anyone else noticed this....?? What is it...??

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
maybe a relay?? i wouldn't know just a guess

·
Registered
54 Posts
wrong side........

The alternator is one the side opposite the ticking....this is down near where all the plug wires come together, and the fuel line links up to the rail...???

·
Registered
973 Posts
The alternator is one the side opposite the ticking....this is down near where all the plug wires come together, and the fuel line links up to the rail...???
mannnn if it's over there and the car isnt started, and it wasnt just drove I have no clue lol
I'll listen to my car today to see if I hear the same thing

·
Premium Member
859 Posts
I have the same noise in my Koup SX 6 speed! It never made the sound when I first bought the car. I thought it was something with the belt but I'm not really sure. I hope it's nothing serious :(

·
Registered
139 Posts
mine too, was just told its normal valve noise and it uses a chain for the timing. Louder ticks you should be wary of.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
well if the key is moved all the way to the on spot, youre going to hear a tic sound
atleast I hear it in my car I'm guessing its for the ignition spark.(coil maybe?)

If your key is not in the car and ignition is in off and you hear that sound I'd not have a clue to what it was lol

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
I know what you're talking about. I have the same sound. It's when you put your key and turn it to the last position right before you turn it to the start position.

It just keeps clicking. I think the manual says this is the car testing the ESP (Stability) system.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I know what you're talking about. I have the same sound. It's when you put your key and turn it to the last position right before you turn it to the start position.

It just keeps clicking. I think the manual says this is the car testing the ESP (Stability) system.
yeah exactly:D

:) ooh that thing is loud lol, good to know thou thxs

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Most of you understand.....!!?!?

The "Tick" doesn't happen when the car is running, but NOT running with the key in the "ON" position. Now I'll be damned, but I have the sedan ...my son has a Koup...I don't hear anything on his. I want to know if it's just on the sedans or Koups or both...???:confused:

It can't be the ESC/ABS. That diagnostic noise is what you hear just as you move the car forward right after a fresh startup. (Used to be really loud on old Saturns). I barely hear it on newer cars.

This is a snapping sound....almost like an electric spark.....but it can't be the coil, I thought the coils are right at the ends of the plug wires.

67Beast....your black sedan is not alone.....!!!:eek:

·
Registered
407 Posts
My Koup does it too, Im guessing something in the ignition/fuel system, like how on older cars you can hear the fuel pump prime. i would just dismiss it. its nothing serious.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Replie...

Black SX sedan w leather pkg..... Nice..!!!:D

Dealer had a hard time finding one like that for a swap, came from Syracuse N.Y. dealership.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts