Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone have any success with undercoating or coating their wheel wheels to help reduce the noise of loose gravel or rocks kicking up? It's horribly loud.

If so what did you use / process?

Let me know if you had any luck

Thanks

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I was planning on doing an undercoating from a detail shop here a bit later on to reduce road noise. Noise from those back wheel wells are pretty noticeable.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Yeah, I heard it the day after I got it and said: man, and I thought this car was perfect!! :( but I agree its ridiculously loud!!!

·
Registered
695 Posts
Has anyone used some undercoating material that you can purchase from the auto stores and spray a nice coat inside the wheel wells. I have the undercoating placed on there from the dealer but like everyone has said, its horrible loud when gravel is kicked up.

Was just an idea to spay, but i am curious to everyone else's thoughts are on it.

·
Registered
432 Posts
^^ I'm going to buy some tomorrow and hopefully i'll have time to do the rear wheel wells this weekend. :)

I'll let you know how it goes...

·
Registered
432 Posts
^^ There's already some kind of coating inside the wheel wells so i'll wait and see how the sound is before applying anything else myself.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Update?

Has anyone done anything to lessen the sound yet? My Forte is insanely loud inside. My local auto parts store sells spray cans of undercoating with "sound proof" (from Rustoleum, I think). I almost bought some...I really don't want to peel up the carpeting and put heavy mats on the floor boards...the idea of that is worse than living with the road noise.

Anyway, just curious if anyone has tried the spray can stuff yet, or if there are some good suggestions for getting rid of the noise.

·
Registered
436 Posts
What little factory undercoating my car had was fading away, exposing blue paint in the wheel wells, so I bought two cans of 3M Rubberized Undercoating and went to town on it. I think you can go as thick as you like with this stuff, as long as you do it in seperate coats. I didn't go very thick, but enough to protect the painted surface below from anything the roads can dish out. I haven't noticed any sound deadening qualities, but I'm sure if I keep adding to it, it'll be noticable.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Im planning on the 3m Rubberized coat too for the back, on gravel roads you can hear every rock as you go, but can you paint over that stuff?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Do yourself a favor...take the wheels off before you start spraying. It's SO much easier and you can get everything Kia missed.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Yeah removed wheels, taped plastic around coils had a drop sheet under on driveway. the stuff just kind a farts out & half was overspray coming back down.lol wife got a good laugh.

and it was stickyy for a awhile. thinks i used a couple cans.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts