Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When do you open your sunroof?

I love the sunroof - it's great to have it open on a day like today (bright and sunny, 75 degrees), or even on a nice night.

But, what about when it's 90-100 degrees outside? Do you keep it open and just crank the AC? I feel like that's a waste.

·
Registered
50 Posts
^^^ done it before....

My buddy had a 94 supra tt and we had the ac blast with windows down and targa off, lol

·
Registered
33 Posts
I never leave windows open w/ the AC running... I'm a bit of a sucker for gas milage. One other great way to save power/battery/gas (whatever) is to open just the back of your sunroof (so you get a concentrated outlet for the pressure to equalize) and put your vents on the 0 (off) setting.

Because of the pressure difference outside air will pull through your fans at a speed of like 1.5-2 (fan setting). There is very little noise and it still makes you feel like youre cruising with the windows open without creating near as much turbulence/resistance.

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
One thing I wish I had is a sunroof. I plan on installing one down the road but if I had one, it would always be open. Our cars look so clean with them open :)

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I just open my sunroof at night.. love to see the stars when I'm out on the open road.
Also nice at night in town too!

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,897 Posts
Like to open mine as much as possible. But not at speeds above 45MPH -- too much noise in the koup. It's quieter in the sedan because the sunroof goes into the roof -- not slanted up like in the Koup.

BTW Koup owners if you have a "creaking" noise coming from your sunroof area there is a TSB on it. Mine originally didn't make the noise but it started to - and needed the metal adjusted.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I'm a sucker on the gas mileage also. I don't like to have the air on with the roof open.

I don't mind the noise at high speeds either because I usually got my music at level 15-17.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Its open as long as its not cold enough to see my breath or raining. Just love the fresh air... and it's my first car having one.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Cool Days and Nights

Hot days 75 f and up no way but when it is cool day or night it's great. Both windows open and no AC.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I really don't mind the warm days, and it's open as much as possible. It's that Humid air that gets me!I hate humidty, and we've been having alot of it in Indiana this year. Sucks!

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Hands down, summer is my favorite season of the year. So I have my windows and sunroof open whenever it is nice out to enjoy. Only exception is when its hot and humid and over 90F then it's AC time.

The only down point is, that if your windows are open all the time the new car smell will go away much faster. But I use a leathery smelling conditioner for my leather which keeps it smelling like new. :cool:

Enjoy your cars...

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Well, I'm in Atlanta and yeah, the temps are a bit extreme to have the sunroof open all that much this year, at nights definitely though. The temps are usually in the 95-100 range with the heat index being as high as 115 to 120. Hot as hell in other words. A lot of people are saying, "Hey, it's a dry heat". Yeah, well, so is a blast furnace, that doesn't make it any more enjoyable.

·
Registered
139 Posts
If I am in the car by myself I go with windows and Sunroof open a lot. I used to ride motorcycles so I still like to feel the air as much as possible.

If I am trying to have a conversation with other people I close it a lot of time if we are on the highway. That way we can talk rather than yell at each other.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I find on hot days its nice to open it up once I get in the car to help draw some of the hot air out, then close it up once the AC gets going. Other than that, I have it open all the time.

Second car with a sunroof, don't think i could go back to not having one

·
Registered
585 Posts
If you are doing some highway driving you can cut down on the wind buffering if you open your sunroof halfway and also keep the sliding sunroof interior panel closed halfway [don't leave it completely open]

·
Registered
288 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.