Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There has probably been a thread on this before but should you get the traditional 3000 mile oil change or wait for the first 7500 mile service.:confused:
7500 miles before your first oil change seems to be a long time.The dealer is telling me that with these new motors,oil change doesn't need to be done so often.
I live in Philadelphia with a lot of stop and go traffic.
Thanks for any imput.

·
Registered
436 Posts
You'll get 101 different opinions from 100 different people, so...here's mine.

Consider the potentially low quality oil that some automakers put in their engines at the factory. Bought from the lowest bidder, it likely only meets minimum requirements of protection. Then consider how many times the car is started, moved, and shut down after it's built, during it's trip across the pond, after it's arrival, and around your dealership. Starting an engine without warming it to normal operating temperature can cause condensation to build inside the engine, eventually ending up in the oil. And every time you start a cold engine, it's programming causes it to run rich, potentially causing excess fuel and carbon to enter the crankcase. By the time you buy the car, the oil is old, and diluted with moisture and fuel. Since it wasn't that great when it was new, consider its condition when you purchase it.

Then, give some thought to the break-in material that enters the oil during the first 100 miles of driving. Nearly microscopic shards of aluminum, copper and iron enter the oil, and being too small to be caught by the filter, they get busy causing accelerated wear inside bearings and in the bores.

Because of all this, I don't want this oil in my engine for 500 miles, much less 7500. I change the oil as soon as I buy a car, again at 500 miles, and again at 3000 miles. Due to their superior thermal stability and resistance to oxydizing and shearing, I use high quality synthetics at 3000 and beyond.

Just one of many points of view you'll likely get on this thread. Happy motoring!

·
Registered
567 Posts
I just got mine changed at slightly over 5000. Figured it was good inbetween.

·
Registered
973 Posts
You'll get 101 different opinions from 100 different people, so...here's mine.

Consider the potentially low quality oil that some automakers put in their engines at the factory. Bought from the lowest bidder, it likely only meets minimum requirements of protection. Then consider how many times the car is started, moved, and shut down after it's built, during it's trip across the pond, after it's arrival, and around your dealership. Starting an engine without warming it to normal operating temperature can cause condensation to build inside the engine, eventually ending up in the oil. And every time you start a cold engine, it's programming causes it to run rich, potentially causing excess fuel and carbon to enter the crankcase. By the time you buy the car, the oil is old, and diluted with moisture and fuel. Since it wasn't that great when it was new, consider its condition when you purchase it.

Then, give some thought to the break-in material that enters the oil during the first 100 miles of driving. Nearly microscopic shards of aluminum, copper and iron enter the oil, and being too small to be caught by the filter, they get busy causing accelerated wear inside bearings and in the bores.

Because of all this, I don't want this oil in my engine for 500 miles, much less 7500. I change the oil as soon as I buy a car, again at 500 miles, and again at 3000 miles. Due to their superior thermal stability and resistance to oxydizing and shearing, I use high quality synthetics at 3000 and beyond.

Just one of many points of view you'll likely get on this thread. Happy motoring!
seconded. I'm trying out some royal purple thursday for my oil change, going to see if there are any noticeable gains from it as the royal purple rep said there would be, and I'm curious. Tired of hearing that its crap and then that its the best out there, so I'll find out for myself lol

·
Registered
436 Posts
The only way to determine if you have any 'gains' will be on the basis of the oil's performance. No 'butt dyno' is sensitive enough to detect the minute horsepower gains you may or may not get from a specific oil. What I'd like to suggest is that if you're curious about how well / crappy Royal Purple performs, you leave it in for at least 5000 miles and send a sample off to Blackstone for analysis. They'll be able to tell you how much it sheared and how well it protected against wear.

The reason I use Penzoil Platinum is because of how well it performs in a used oil analysis.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I got mine changed a couple days after I got the car. Like Corsa said, you never know exactly what they put in it. I switched my car to Full Synthetic neways. Probally in my head, but the engine runs smoother. Premium grade fuel, and full synthetic oil. Only the best for my engine :)

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I'd never leave the first oil in the car longer then a thousand miles.
I change my oil at 3000 miles or 3,500 with synthetic I change sooner then most with synthetics due to small filter size etc.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Not saying what oil or filter you should use (those are discussions we've had in other threads far too many times) but the number one rule I live by is that :

You will NEVER cause harm by changing your oil sooner than later. Period.

It's just a good idea.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts