Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Kia Forte Koup SX
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to install a boost gauge on my forte koup 1.6t. Want to tee off the vacuum line connecting the BPV/BOV and the intake manifold. As far as i know the turbo isn't really accessible without going under the car which i assume means the BOV or BPV is also down there.

Does anyone know if i can access this vacuum line without going under the car?

If anyone can help point me in the right direction that would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
4,144 Posts
I'm trying to install a boost gauge on my forte koup 1.6t. Want to tee off the vacuum line connecting the BPV/BOV and the intake manifold. As far as i know the turbo isn't really accessible without going under the car which i assume means the BOV or BPV is also down there.

Does anyone know if i can access this vacuum line without going under the car?

If anyone can help point me in the right direction that would be much appreciated!
The BOV (RCV - recirculate valve, actually) is on the cold pipe - the cold pipe is between the throttle body and the intercooler.

IMO I would not want to connect a gauge to hoses connected to the RCV (BOV) - could mess with the operation of the RCV solenoid or the RCV itself. Use the distro-block from SXTH Element instead.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
4,144 Posts
RCV (BOV) location:

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
RCV (BOV) from under car:

Pictured is my modified SXTH Element cold pipe (I didn't take any pictures of stock pipe). This is where the RCV (BOV) is located.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
and finally...the factory cold pipe:

·
Registered
2014 Kia Forte Koup SX
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow! This is amazing! Thank you so much!

When I get home I'm going to take a look under the hood and see if I can find the RCV. Now to make sure I understand correctly, the cold pipe is the pipe coming from the engine air filter to the turbocharger? (shown below):

Attachments

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Wow! This is amazing! Thank you so much!

When I get home I'm going to take a look under the hood and see if I can find the RCV. Now to make sure I understand correctly, the cold pipe is the pipe coming from the engine air filter to the turbocharger? (shown below):

You have circled the intake - not the cold pipe. You see that large rubber hose attached to the intake you circled? That rubber hose goes down to the RCV. The RCV releases the intake manifold pressure back into the intake - hence reciprocating valve...technically the RCV is a Blow Off Valve (BOV) but in this case the pressurized air is not released to atmosphere - it goes back into the intake ahead of the turbocharger.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Forte Koup SX
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for clarifying.

The vacuum line I plan to tee off is shown at number 5 in the below image:

I am expecting to find a small vacuum line (~3/8"-5/8" diam), but don't see any like that in the photo. Have you seen such a line attached to the RCV? I understand the diagram shown above depicts a BOV and what the forte koup has is more like a BPV but I assume it should still have a vacuum line.

Could that line with the yellow zip tie in your photo of the RCV be the vac line connecting it to the intake manifold?

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
The "yellow zip tied" vacuum line is from the RCV solenoid to the RCV:

**vacuum or boost pressure actually.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Hmmm...ok. Any idea which line i can safely tee off to measure boost psi?
The one person I know that has...is using the SXTH distro-box in post 2 above.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Found this thread and people are saying you either need to tap into the vac line on the throttle body or the MAP sensor.

Any idea where these are?
The SXTH distro-block goes under the MAP sensor. the MAP sensor is on your intake manifold - you look at it every time you open the hood...lol

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
You can save yourself all this trouble by going with a wi-fi OBDII scanner and a smart phone or tablet.

This is what my tablet looks like:
Speedometer Light Gauge Measuring instrument Font

However, you're still looking at @$200.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Forte Koup SX
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm trying to get this on the cheap atm. So not really trying to drop $50+ on any part right now. I've seen the OBD things too but I like the idea of creating the actual gauge.

Do you know how to find the throttle body?

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
I'm trying to get this on the cheap atm. So not really trying to drop $50+ on any part right now. I've seen the OBD things too but I like the idea of creating the actual gauge.

Do you know how to find the throttle body?

·
Registered
2014 Kia Forte Koup SX
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, so i took a look under my hood yesterday and I'm thinking your right. It will be much easier to simply use the vacuum block. Since this is my first car mod of any kind I figure its best not to get in over my head. I'm gonna go ahead and purchase the gauge today and then save up some money to buy the vacuum block. Will post here when I get them both and start setting up. Thanks for all your help so far, I've learned a lot.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Forte Koup SX
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Now, a quick question. How easily removable is the vacuum block? Say I want to sell the car in the future and need to remove the boost gauge, would that be easily achievable?

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Now, a quick question. How easily removable is the vacuum block? Say I want to sell the car in the future and need to remove the boost gauge, would that be easily achievable?
It's just held in by two bolts. Make sure to properly install the two new gaskets.

To put it back to stock you'll need to save the original bolts - put them in a small zip-lock bag and keep them in the glove box.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts