Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone else having this issue or have heard of it. If I do anything over 45 MPH with the window down there is a whistle-like noise coming from the drivers side mirror. If I fold the mirror in the noise stops or if I put my hand on the base that attaches to the door. This doesn't come from the passenger side, only the drivers side.

I plan to drop it off at the dealer but it's certainly annoying, especially with the warm weather that we'll hopefully be having soon.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Is anyone else having this issue or have heard of it. If I do anything over 45 MPH with the window down there is a whistle-like noise coming from the drivers side mirror. If I fold the mirror in the noise stops or if I put my hand on the base that attaches to the door. This doesn't come from the passenger side, only the drivers side.

I plan to drop it off at the dealer but it's certainly annoying, especially with the warm weather that we'll hopefully be having soon.
Yea, I had this happen to my car on both mirrors. In my case, there was excessive plastic on the parting line (Also known as "flash"). This is what caused the wind noise at the speeds you are describing. The solution was to re-sand and re-paint, and the dealer did this under warranty. The way I proved it was a manufacturer's defect was that I covered the excessive plastic with tape, effectively making the edge smooth with the rest of the mirror cover surface, and the noise was gone.

If you take a picture of your mirror cover, I can tell you where the problem area was on my car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Whistle From Mirrors

I bought my Kia Forte in October 2011 and my mirrors do the same thing. A loud whistle from the mirrors when I drive over 40 mph. Ive taken it to the dealer at least 4 times and they claim they don't hear it yet everyone in my life hears it when they drive with me. The dealer put tape around the housing of the mirror and the noise stops I cant hear it, but they won't actually fix it cause "they" can't hear it..But who want to drive around with blue tape over there brand new car mirrors.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Print out the TSB from Kia Info and show it to the dealer.

Just looked at Kia Info and did not find a TSB for this. Maybe Duncanville1 can direct you.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I bought my Kia Forte in October 2011 and my mirrors do the same thing. A loud whistle from the mirrors when I drive over 40 mph. Ive taken it to the dealer at least 4 times and they claim they don't hear it yet everyone in my life hears it when they drive with me. The dealer put tape around the housing of the mirror and the noise stops I cant hear it, but they won't actually fix it cause "they" can't hear it..But who want to drive around with blue tape over there brand new car mirrors.
I took it to another dealer. They carefully inspected the mirror for any damage and determined that it was defective. They replaced it and the problem went away.

Now if I can only get that pesky hatch rattle to go away.....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Such noise usually comes when there is a little hole in the plastic mold. The side mirrors usually come up with such kind of flaw and this problem has been seen a lot in Forte 5-door. Its basically when you are cruising at high speed, the air passes through that hole in turbulent condition and due to formation of nodes and anti-nodes, you hear a whistle sound. My suggestion that you re-paint the plastic and give it a test run before assuring yourself that the problem is gone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
can anyone plz link this TSB or a step by step how to fix this problem. I bought my Forte last month and I have the same problem. I ve taken my car to the dealer but they don't hear it.

I have had this car only for a month but I should have bought Focus or Cruze. wth was I thinking...........

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello All!
Just bought my first real car and had the same problem with the whistling mirrors. I identified where mine was and used some weatherstrip adhesive with a syringe and carefully placed it in the groove. The whistling stopped and now Im ready for summer with the windows down with no annoying whistle. Here are some pics of what I used and where it was coming from.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts