Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my battery about a month ago because everytime I'd wake up in the morning and try and start my car it'd be dead (and the battery was about 3 years old). Now today I went to go start my car and first of all the battery was so dead the keyfob wouldn't even unlock the doors, when I finally got in my car I tried turning the overhead map lights on (which are LED btw) and even they wouldn't turn on. Jumped my car and it started up fine. Drove it around for a little bit and it's fine now and starts up fine. I'm pretty sure it isn't the alternator because it's obviously charging the battery or else it wouldn't be starting hours later after I drive it. It's only if my car has been sitting for a couple days that it won't start. Anyone have any idea what could be causing this? At first I thought maybe my sound system was drawing too much power and draining the battery but I haven't been listening to music lately (with my car on or off) and I turned my amplifier off too. So I'm lost... anyone have any ideas? :confused:

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
Sounds like improper wiring on the sound system causing parasitic drain. Check your remote wire for your amp and or radio and make sure you're not tapped into a constant power wire.

·
Premium Member
2,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My sound system has been in since June though... I didn't start having this problem till the end of December. If my sound system was improperly wired wouldn't it have given me this problem before then? Anyways... I did check the wiring and the remote wire is going from the amplifier to the remote wire on the back of the head unit. My amplifier light isn't on so it's not getting power from a direct 12v source.
The only other time I've had this problem was once a few months after I got the car it sat for about 3 days and the battery was completely dead (this was before I even had my sound system). When that happened I took it to my dealer, they checked it out and couldn't find anything wrong with it. and like I said... it seems to have to sit for at least 2 days for the battery to be dead.

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
Best thing to do is check all of your fuses with a volt meter and find your drain, Something is not turning off or you have a short somewhere. and bad wiring on the stereo wouldn't necessarily kill the battery instantly, especially if it was a good battery.

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
Is there anything else aftermarket in your car? Check any mods to make sure they're wired properly.

·
Registered
193 Posts
You also could have a defective/bad alternator...that seems to happen with me with every car i've ever had(never had one this nice tho soooo :))

·
Premium Member
2,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Fuel110_: Thanks, I'll check the fuses tomorrow with a multimeter like suggested.

@KoupRider: Lol tons of things. The most recent are headlights and fogs, but I had this problem before I installed either of those. Thanks though, I'll check over my mods tomorrow...

@Cpr3g0: The thing about the alternator is it seems to be working though. I've been driving around the whole day today and the battery must be charging cuz I've left the car sitting for hours and it's still starting up fine. I guess it could be intermittently working, but it seems like my car runs starts fine as long as it doesn't sit more than 2 days. So idk. Thanks though. I think I'll let the car sit overnight and check the voltage on my battery tomorrow to see if it's drained any... that way I at least know if it's losing voltage.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I replaced my battery about a month ago because everytime I'd wake up in the morning and try and start my car it'd be dead (and the battery was about 3 years old). Now today I went to go start my car and first of all the battery was so dead the keyfob wouldn't even unlock the doors, when I finally got in my car I tried turning the overhead map lights on (which are LED btw) and even they wouldn't turn on. Jumped my car and it started up fine. Drove it around for a little bit and it's fine now and starts up fine. I'm pretty sure it isn't the alternator because it's obviously charging the battery or else it wouldn't be starting hours later after I drive it. It's only if my car has been sitting for a couple days that it won't start. Anyone have any idea what could be causing this? At first I thought maybe my sound system was drawing too much power and draining the battery but I haven't been listening to music lately (with my car on or off) and I turned my amplifier off too. So I'm lost... anyone have any ideas? :confused:
I had that happened to me since i work at Firestone i had them do a better test and what it found was the headlights if you leave them on some times the park lights stay on if you do not turn them all the way off before you turn your car off. Just make sure your headlight are off when you get out

·
Premium Member
2,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had that happened to me since i work at Firestone i had them do a better test and what it found was the headlights if you leave them on some times the park lights stay on if you do not turn them all the way off before you turn your car off. Just make sure your headlight are off when you get out
Hmm interesting. Did you have this happen on your forte? I don't usually leave my headlights on, but I thought our cars had a feature the car headlights turn off as soon as you remove the key and open the driver side door. If my parking lights somehow stayed on that would definitely explain it...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hmm interesting. Did you have this happen on your forte? I don't usually leave my headlights on, but I thought our cars had a feature the car headlights turn off as soon as you remove the key and open the driver side door. If my parking lights somehow stayed on that would definitely explain it...
Yea i did and its a 2013 with the Auto lights but i moved them to just on so i would try to turn them off and see what happened

·
Premium Member
2,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea i did and its a 2013 with the Auto lights but i moved them to just on so i would try to turn them off and see what happened
Wow that's interesting. Thanks a ton, I'll definitely try that!!

·
Premium Member
2,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You welcome did you have your headlights retrofitted?
Yeah I did them myself about 3 weeks ago. They're MiniH1's with Gatling Gun shrouds and 5000k XB35 bulbs...

·
Premium Member
2,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Do you have an pic of them and how much would you charge to do mines if i sent them to you
Well, that was actually my first retro so I'm by no means an expert at retrofitting. Depending on what you want done I might be able to do it. But if you want to have them done by someone who's done a bunch of retros already I'd suggest PMing noodile. He's done a ton and I've seen pics of them here on the forum and they look amazing. He also gets a discount on the projectors and all that.
I posted a thread with pics of mine a few weeks ago here...
http://www.forteforums.com/forums/kia-forte-lighting/16369-finished-my-headlight-retro.html#post246433

·
Registered
107 Posts
Well, that was actually my first retro so I'm by no means an expert at retrofitting. Depending on what you want done I might be able to do it. But if you want to have them done by someone who's done a bunch of retros already I'd suggest PMing noodile. He's done a ton and I've seen pics of them here on the forum and they look amazing. He also gets a discount on the projectors and all that.
I posted a thread with pics of mine a few weeks ago here...
http://www.forteforums.com/forums/kia-forte-lighting/16369-finished-my-headlight-retro.html#post246433
Wow those are very nice how long it take you to do them ?

·
Premium Member
2,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow those are very nice how long it take you to do them ?
Thanks! Hmm 3 days I think... most of it was waiting for stuff to dry (paint for the shrouds and cutoff shield, JB weld for the LEDs....)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts