Kia Forte Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
I replaced my battery about a month ago because everytime I'd wake up in the morning and try and start my car it'd be dead (and the battery was about 3 years old). Now today I went to go start my car and first of all the battery was so dead the keyfob wouldn't even unlock the doors, when I finally got in my car I tried turning the overhead map lights on (which are LED btw) and even they wouldn't turn on. Jumped my car and it started up fine. Drove it around for a little bit and it's fine now and starts up fine. I'm pretty sure it isn't the alternator because it's obviously charging the battery or else it wouldn't be starting hours later after I drive it. It's only if my car has been sitting for a couple days that it won't start. Anyone have any idea what could be causing this? At first I thought maybe my sound system was drawing too much power and draining the battery but I haven't been listening to music lately (with my car on or off) and I turned my amplifier off too. So I'm lost... anyone have any ideas? :confused:
Did your wiring involve changing out a cable connector to the battery ?
Cable connections do what you describe when they are not making good contact. Next time it will not start, try wiggling each of the battery terminal connections and try to start it again before connecting the jumper cables.

·
Premium Member
2,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Did your wiring involve changing out a cable connector to the battery ?
Cable connections do what you describe when they are not making good contact. Next time it will not start, try wiggling each of the battery terminal connections and try to start it again before connecting the jumper cables.
Nope, only replaced the battery itself. I don't have any corrosion on my battery terminals either. But I'll definitely keep that in mind and try wiggling the connectors if it happens again. Thanks!

·
Registered
368 Posts
My son's 1998 Chevy S-10 had a bolt for his side connector battery that was about one half of a thread too long. We changed the battery 3 times in it and should not have had to do that. I discovered this one day by wiggling each connection. Even thought the bolt was tight, the connection was not. I filed down the last thread of the bolt and put it back together. No more problems since.
Good luck with it.

·
Premium Member
2,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
My son's 1998 Chevy S-10 had a bolt for his side connector battery that was about one half of a thread too long. We changed the battery 3 times in it and should not have had to do that. I discovered this one day by wiggling each connection. Even thought the bolt was tight, the connection was not. I filed down the last thread of the bolt and put it back together. No more problems since.
Good luck with it.
hmm yeah I'm definitely gonna check mine. Thanks again! So far so good as far as the battery goes... not dead and the voltage is remaining normal

·
Registered
128 Posts
I replaced my battery about a month ago because everytime I'd wake up in the morning and try and start my car it'd be dead (and the battery was about 3 years old). Now today I went to go start my car and first of all the battery was so dead the keyfob wouldn't even unlock the doors, when I finally got in my car I tried turning the overhead map lights on (which are LED btw) and even they wouldn't turn on. Jumped my car and it started up fine. Drove it around for a little bit and it's fine now and starts up fine. I'm pretty sure it isn't the alternator because it's obviously charging the battery or else it wouldn't be starting hours later after I drive it. It's only if my car has been sitting for a couple days that it won't start. Anyone have any idea what could be causing this? At first I thought maybe my sound system was drawing too much power and draining the battery but I haven't been listening to music lately (with my car on or off) and I turned my amplifier off too. So I'm lost... anyone have any ideas? :confused:

Batteries quit providing volts for one of 4 reasons
1. battery is low on 'water'
2. alternator isn't charging the battery
3. battery cells are dead, that is battery is shot. They don't last forever.
4. There is a short circuit in the battery poweer wiring.

So check the 'water' level (its mostly sulfuric acid so be careful)
check the current flow from the battery when the car is shut down. If I guessed it would be that sound system wiring and its taken a while to draw the battery down to where it discharges overnight.
Most aftermarket parts places will check your alternator output.
And they will check your battery output and cell condition too. At 3 yeasrs its not unusual for a battery to go bad.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I am in the midst of replacing the ground cable. Stock one is a braided steel wire ground. I am replacing with a copper core ground cable. My stock battey was getting weak so I found a 1000 amp one that fit. Works great but I can't pull the power I need to at times.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,
I bought my kia sportage 2012 a year ago, it started to have battery problems 6 months after, the battery would go dead after not using it for 24 hours. 6 months I'm having that problem, even dealer chip can't find the issue.
After "professionnal" advices, I changed the battery, bring it several times to the dealer cheap, first they told me it was the after market alarm and after market Led lights, so they took them off, car was working find for a month after, and start to have the same problem again...
Bring it to the dealer cheap again 3 days ago, they did a diagnostic again, kept it for 48 hours, didn't find any problem!! I picked it up yesterday, bring it home, didn't drive it for 24 hours, this morning( the battery was dead again!!!! How is it possible?? MY BATTERY GOES DEAD WHEN THE CAR IS PARKED AT HOME! I heard battery can drain next to hight voltage lines or because of proximity keys. My roomate is parked next to my car in the drive way and doesn't have the problem. Please help me!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,
I bought my kia sportage 2012 a year ago, it started to have battery problems 6 months after, the battery would go dead after not using it for 24 hours. 6 months I'm having that problem, even dealer chip can't find the issue.
After "professionnal" advices, I changed the battery, bring it several times to the dealer cheap, first they told me it was the after market alarm and after market Led lights, so they took them off, car was working find for a month after, and start to have the same problem again...
Bring it to the dealer cheap again 3 days ago, they did a diagnostic again, kept it for 48 hours, didn't find any problem!! I picked it up yesterday, bring it home, didn't drive it for 24 hours, this morning( the battery was dead again!!!! How is it possible?? MY BATTERY GOES DEAD WHEN THE CAR IS PARKED AT HOME! I heard battery can drain next to hight voltage lines or because of proximity keys. My roomate is parked next to my car in the drive way and doesn't have the problem. Please help me!
Did you get your issue figured out? I have a 2012 Sportage that is doing it too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did u every find out whats was wrong im having the same problem

21 - 31 of 31 Posts