Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seriously, when I start it up in the morning it sounds just like my Jetta TDI did. Not quite as loud, but you can hear a definite clattering sound!! It has done this ever since I bought it a couple of months ago.

Is this common?

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
hmmmmm... where do you live? super cold temperature at start?

·
Registered
318 Posts
i hear a ticking sound but i think they all have that?

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Mine did it too..... not as loud as a diesel but still!!
In winter or summer, maybe a little louder on winter!
I think it's either noisy valve or injectors.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Well it's a good thing we don't have the direct injection yet, then it would be even louder ticking lol. The ticking you're hearing is the CVVT. So it's normal, my other car with VVT made the same exact noise.
That's good to hear. I asked a salesman about it today. I mentioned that it wasn't that long ago that that sort of thing was known as lifter noise, and it was most definitely not a good thing. He said they all do that for a while, but it goes away. I wasn't sure he knew what he was talking about.

·
Registered
78 Posts
my EX Eco makes that kind of noise (I think) whenever it's COLD at start-up (cold being relative as I live in Southern California). Whenever the outside temp is 55 or below, which has been quite often, the engine clacks until it's warmed up.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
^^^
yup they are loud at start up
these motors also have sold lifters... which is part of the noise
thou annoying its ok, in the morning its kinda like owning a old car lol

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,891 Posts
Rainyraven's right....just change "solid lifters" to "solid cam followers". Since the cam followers are not hydraulic to take up the slack (cold shrinks metal, heat expands metal) the engines "clatter" a bit...normal.

Just trying to properly educate the masses...LoL!!!

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
The injector rail is right at the front of the engine, not at the back like many engines where that sound gets mostly absorbed before reaching the front. This adds to the noise the engine is making even when warm.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Add some Lucas to your oil

·
Registered
284 Posts
Same problem you can clearly hear the diesel sound when your parked in a parking space beside a house wall or car wash bay (where the sounds vibrate off the walls).

Spoke to my dealer about it, they said something about the fuel delivery system - something about a ball bearing (fuel injector tip i think) - not exactly sure but I remember him saying it was like a ball bearing running back and forth.

Not too worried about it but it does sound crappy when I do hear it.

-Forte333

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey how do i change "solid lifters" to "solid cam followers". That's a brilliant Idea ForteSX2.4. Plz Let me knw. Valve Noise is the only Issue in my KOUP..

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
It has a lot to do with the the high pressure fuel system. These new engines have a higher fuel pressure so when it sprays the spray is a finer mist. Higher pressure also allows better control of fuel as you want to spray the correct amount of fuel when at the correct time.

Think about it when you're revving 6000RPM the time for you to inject fuel is very slim. You can do it old school and just keep dumping fuel so it doesn't shut off but then you get less than 34MPG and crappy emissions. And we have a relatively high compression. Go back 10 years and you'd need premium on a engine like this to get the power you get.

You should hear what it sounds like on the GDI engine. The engine cover on the GDI is a big one because they need it to cover the injectors to inhibit NVH.

At least this takes care of the dieseling noise. The cold start noise is the lifters, I find using 5W20 full synth in the cold helps with this a bit. easier to pump, gets oil to the areas that are most impacted by metal on metal contact.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey how do i change "solid lifters" to "solid cam followers". That's a brilliant Idea ForteSX2.4. Plz Let me knw. Valve Noise is the only Issue in my KOUP..
I think he was just pointing out that our cars use a follower system and not a direct cam over valve setup, so you don't need to change anything its already that way :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Is it a piston knock sort of sound? Check your oil level to be safe. Not sure if I understand what sort of clicking sound you hear, I don't believe mine does it. Just as a safe measure if it was myself I'd check my oil level out of paranoia haha

·
Registered
348 Posts
I think he was just pointing out that our cars use a follower system and not a direct cam over valve setup, so you don't need to change anything its already that way :)
Aaaaactually....

We do have a "direct cam over valve" design, as it's the most efficient, mechanically simple system. In further interest of proper education for the masses, we don't have a classic follower system or a lifter system. We have a "solid lash adjuster" system. As I said it's the most mechanically simple system available, with the absolute minimum in moving parts and points of failure. That said, it is also known as one of the worst systems for not being able to absorb it's noise.

The price paid for a lower price paid.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts