Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I noticed a possible electrical problem with my ESC switch, looks like something is over heating and causing the plastic to deform, any ideas ?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
maybe there is a short in something behind that, and is making the plastic hot.
yeah.. I agree theres lots of heat going on there,
maybe a wire is pulling to many amps.. due to a short or as thread said maybe just a faulty switch.. either way make them check/replace both the switch and the plastic cover.

I wonder if there is a wire for the optional stuff there.. I don't know which option is there I'd have to look in the manual.
it could be that wire is not taped and is a hot wire, if there is metal behind the plastic that would make sence Idk thou

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I noticed a possible electrical problem with my ESC switch, looks like something is over heating and causing the plastic to deform, any ideas ?
lol- my first thought when i saw that picture was- wow- they installed it backwards-
but then i realized you were in australia......
that section that is bubbling up appears to be where the button/switch for the windshield de-icer goes......
have you checked the fuse box for any odd looking things there?

from checking kiatechinfo-
i cant find any fuses directly related to the windshield wiper deicers-
but there is a fuse 'deicer' described as 'icm relay box windshield defogger relay'
and another fuse 'ign 1-a'
described as 'esc switch,eps control module'

have you done any electrical mods where you piggy backed off the fuse panel onto either of those fuses?

in any case- i'd def take to dealer - cuz an electrical fire is no fun at all.

looking at the picture-that bubble up area looks just like what and where the plug would be if you had the windshield deicer......
wondering if there is a chance a piece of wire or something fell behind the cover and shorted a plug that wasnt being used out?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
have you done any electrical mods where you piggy backed off the fuse panel onto either of those fuses?

?
Doh it's just dawned on me, when I installed my 4 Channel Power Amp yesterday I was trying to find an accessory's wire to get secondary power to the Amp. I noticed on the fuse cover that there was a spare 15 amp fuse on the right hand side the 4th fuse down, I place the bare wire over that fuse and inserted the fuse back into the fuse holder. So most likely that caused something there to heat up.
Well I'll take the car into the dealer and act innocent and deny all and see whether they will replace that cover.
Thats what happens when your too anxious to install something. By the way I have since run the accessory's wire for the Amp to the back of the cigarette lighter.
PS. Just one question, what size wire should I run from the battery to the Amp for main power, some wires I have seen are about as thick as your little finger mine is about 8 gauge from memory.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
yup-i think you plugged right into the deicer fuse- its 15amps and 4th down.....
(and if not the deicer-if you went all the way over- you got that wire into the 15amp seat heater)

lol- gotta love it in a way- that the simplist solutions are- what did you do before it blew up?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And me being an ex Firefighter it would have been enbarrassing if my car caught alight LOL. Thx for your help

·
Registered
526 Posts
Well I'll take the car into the dealer and act innocent and deny all and see whether they will replace that cover.
My 2 cents...I think the dealer is gonna know it was something caused by you:eek:! But it's worth a try! If you pull this off...I will never believe another word you say! lol JK:cool:

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
And me being an ex Firefighter it would have been enbarrassing if my car caught alight LOL. Thx for your help

lol rpps-
1) the ex firefighter bit- yeah- all the buddies at the station would be yanking you a new one..........
2) aint that why we are all here? to help each other thru it all?

i'm just glad we figured it out and that you didnt set your car on the barbie- lol

soon as the bridge is built- i'll drive over and visit you :)

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
lol rpps-

i'm just glad we figured it out and that you didnt set your car on the barbie- lol

soon as the bridge is built- i'll drive over and visit you :)
LOL it would have to be a long one ...Just did a video for you on U Tube of my home town called Hobart, in the state of Tasmania
Being a 911 Dispacher you probably can work out what my personalized number plate means ...( EX Fireman and out here we dile 000 for emergencies)

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
LOL it would have to be a long one ...Just did a video for you on U Tube of my home town called Hobart, in the state of Tasmania YouTube - Hobart. Tasmania. Tasmania
Being a 911 Dispacher you probably can work out what my personalized number plate means ...( EX Fireman and out here we dile 000 for emergencies)
yup-i know the 999/000 versions.....

after 23 years of listening to "flor-i-duhs".......
i really wish there was a bridge that i could drive across to hang out with you.........

·
Registered
585 Posts
"Well I'll take the car into the dealer and act innocent and deny all and see whether they will replace that cover."

...It's not fair to the dealer to have them waste their time and parts and pay for damage that you caused. Why not man-up tell them the truth and pay the bill. It's the right thing to do...it's called being honest.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
"

...It's not fair to the dealer to have them waste their time and parts and pay for damage that you caused. Why not man-up tell them the truth and pay the bill. It's the right thing to do...it's called being honest.
Mate, I couldn't care less about being fair and honest when it comes to car dealers. They always screw the poor car owner when it comes to trade-ins, to me they are fair game. Also when coming to service charges they are exorbinate and end up not doing the work properly.:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts