Kia Forte Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I'm also going to recommend water-methanol injection. A guy named Gary recently posted a dyno of his 2018 Forte5 SX DTC with at Tork SRI and axle back exhaust with a JB4 on E30. He made 176 whp stock, now makes 230 whp.

BUT, in Arizona his ambient (outside temp) was 108 degrees. His inlet temps (into the intake manifold via JB4 logging) were 150 degrees!

If you drop that down to 100 degrees via water-methanol (yes you can use them together and it's not overkill), the mass air flow will increase and it will make more power, my guess is around 250-260 hp. I made this suggestion to him and he said that somebody told him to upgrade his intercooler and that data driven information I gave him didn't move him off that.

But as I said above an intercooler upgrade in of itself won't help you very much when the weather is more than 80 degrees.

The way the JB4 controls water-methanol and their map sensor adapter they make for the Stinger works on the Forte GT, making it 100% plug-n-play, no wiring up anything more than the pump and no running vacuum line for a boost source, it works by using the OBD-II stream to detect boost and use the o2 sensor information to maintain ideal air-fuel ratio.

But that is also the core of the safety systems built into the JB4. Any fault with the WMI, it will bump you down to Map 0 which is the stock tune. The beauty is it doesn't take a flash tune to dial-in your water-methanol system, you do it via the app and everybody at BMS will help you get the most of it.
I had water/meth injection in my last car and there is likely no way I'll ever do it again. Yes you can get better performance but the associated extra maintenance and worrying about failure is not worth it to me. At the end of the day this is a daily driver for me so there is no need for it for me. By all means don't let me talk others out of doing it to their car. There are some great systems that work well and don't have failures. It's just not for me and this car in particular for what I am using it for. Also E85 isn't an option around where I live as it's not readily available and buying barrels of it doesn't sound like fun to me either.

Some day I'll buy something ridiculously fast again but for now the Kia Forte Gt is mildly quick and inexpensive and I'd like to keep it that way.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I would say more but it kind of rubs me wrong when people say what I am doing is inherently risky while what you're doing is risk averse?

Also fairly inexpensive, I'll have a complete price break down and even do a video.

$914 total.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
The SXTH parts came in and I updated my original post.

The intake is awesome and I recommend it to anyone looking for the spooling up turbo sound. I have the one that removes the blow off valve recirculation port. WIth the GFB BOV and Whistle trumpet it makes all the right sounds now.
It's no longer a cold air intake so those of you who don't want that should avoid this one.

The vacuum distribution block, I am less of a fan of. It's expensive for what you are getting as it's not CNC machined it's a molded part that was poorly made in my opinion. I was also missing parts (one of the long screws and the wire ties for it so we'll see if SXTH makes right on that. I think it'll work it's just not good quality.

UPDATE: SXTH didn't reply to my e-mail but the parts did show up today.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Yeah I've seen that before. At first I liked it then as time goes on I like it less. Not really sure why. There's at least one member here that has it looks good on their car but it's just not for me. If I go into something like that I'd want to go more extreme like a wide body of some sort. Purely for looks of course, haha. I've seen some widebody Elantra and Veloster kits. Hopefully some Forte kits get made. I'm too lazy to make a custom one but it would be sick. I'm also too cheap to drop the proper amount of $$ to do anything like the below kits and finish work that would be required.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts