Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to a local dealership today to test drive some fortes- the sedan, coupe and 5, but they didn't have a whole lot to choose from, I also somewhat fell for the optima, but I think they are out of reach simply because I'm drawn to the smart key/push start so the LX is out.

I've been searching all the dealerships in a 75 miles radius of me (in MA) and most of them only have about 2-4 optimas and a handful of the various bodies of the forte. So I wanted to know if dealerships will be restocking or are they low because demand is high, or because 2012s are going arriving soon? I am wanting to wait until end of summer to make my purchase but if the pickings will be even slimmer than I don't want to wait that long.

I've never purchased a new car before so this is all new to me. I thought dealerships would have a bigger selection though.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Talk to different dealerships. some will call in and get you the car you want from anywhere. I had a friend who had the dealer get his from like 300 miles away. Just make sure you're confident and clear about you want. if the dealership is sure you want it, they will get it for you.

as for the 2012s, unless you're planning to wait till like january, then go ahead and buy now.

and dealerships get cars in batches, so ask them when the next shipment is coming.

it helps if you tell them the exact model, color, and options you want.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Here in Cleveland the Kias are hot sellers. Dealers are selling them as quick as they arrive. My Dealer Bill Doraty of Medina, Ohio was number 2 in the nation in sales last month and set for number 1 this month. When I purchased my car I saw 7 new car sales in the 5 hours I was there. Impressive to say the least

·
Registered
344 Posts
kelmn07,

Kia dealers usually do not know their future inventory until it leaves the port on truck or train here in the states. The closer you are to the port ( I am assuming east coast/New York), the better guess of timing they have. Sometimes they don't know they are getting a shipment until it shows up. You can't order a custom specific unit, either. It's the Kia way.

Our forte 5 was the first car we ever bought new. It was a somewhat frustrating process because we really thought when we bought a new car we could just order what we wanted and wait for it to come in. We looked for a long time for an 5 door SX with a tech package (which you want because of the start button). The closest one we could find was in California, but the dealer would not work with one here in Arizona. I even had different dealers calling them lol. Still none have showed up in phoenix area.

The tech package is a hard package to find. I would encourage you to stay persistent, call dealers in your region every week to check inventory, and hold out for what you want. I believe they are low in inventory because demand is high for cheap fuel efficient vehicles. The 2012's won't be here till the fall, the 2011 forte 5 just came onto lots about 3 months ago so it is relatively new.

That optima interior is sweet, and you can get into the gdi engine for less than 24k so it is tempting, but the forte is still going to be 6-7k less than that. If you can get the tech package, do it. At invoice cost, $1400 is a bargain for the nav, backup camera, push button start, and auto climate control. No one else delivers that kind of equipment for that price!!! Just think, people put in NAV systems for $1000 all day long, and that isn't even half of what the forte tech package has in it!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Our forte 5 was the first car we ever bought new. It was a somewhat frustrating process because we really thought when we bought a new car we could just order what we wanted and wait for it to come in.
That is exactly what I thought as well! I'm glad I'm not the only one. I don't think I'm very picky, I just want an ex with the tech package, and cloth interior. Both fortes that I test drove were leather and it felt too cheap, I thought the cloth was much nicer. The leather in the Optima felt really nice though.

I didn't really like the dealership I went to either, the salesman was kind of new and couldn't answer most of the questions I asked, which was disappointing. One thing that impressed me though on top of the warranty is that they cover 2 years of maintenance as well including oil changes and tire rotations etc. Now, is that something that Kia offers or is it probably something that dealership offers?

·
Registered
695 Posts
The two year maintenance is most likely a dealer offer. My dealership has a lifetime oil change and state inspection. Only reason I bought from them since the sales team kind of sucks.

·
Registered
916 Posts
When I was looking at SX sedans I couldn't find any within 100 miles of me, at 3 dealerships, so I sent my phone number via email to them and 1 called me back with what I wanted, though lacking the tech package, it was as close I could get without waiting forever. So I drive down the same day after they closed to rake a look at it without being bothered and fell in love, still had the plastic and protectors all over it even, only SX off the truck between all three dealers.

I bought it the next day and my local Kia dealer has only had 3 basic ex sedans and 1 Koup since, 2 months ago. Now as it is they only have one spicy red ex sedan without any extras. Best to tell the dealerships around you that you have them all looking for whatever car it is you want for said price, first to deliver gets your business.

By the way those new Optimas are siiick.
They had a blue 2011 GDI SX, panaramic sunroofs, etc navi,on the lot a month ago, probably be similar to what I buy next time unless they put GDI in te forte, which would result in better fuel economy than the optima.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The two year maintenance is most likely a dealer offer. My dealership has a lifetime oil change and state inspection. Only reason I bought from them since the sales team kind of sucks.
Where in Virginia are you from? You didn't get your Kia at Casey Kia by chance, did you?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I think it is odd how,after the initial 14-15 Forte 5's my dealer recieved last fall,NO new ones have shown up. They still have a few white SX's remaining & a black EX. I think they have ONE Koup.
If the '12s AREN'T going to show up till January,it would be nice to have some '11 product NOW.
If Kia had labor problems(like Hyundai with the new Accent & Veloster start-up),that would make sense. OR if they ARE selling like crazy as Cerato seems to be elswhere,then I guess we just wait for cars here. Could sure sell more if they were here to buy.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Forte 5's were barely on dealers lots in January - not sure what fall you are referring to.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Fall 2010. I think the 5's were there at the very end of November/first week December. Next time by,I'll see if I can get a definitive. They know me well.
And,the Forte's are ''barely on dealers lots'' now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey everyone,
I am waiting for my blue 2011 Forte EX to arrive at my dealership. I read that I could call other dealerships and ask them if they have the car, what would be the advantage to them? Why would they share this info if I have already bought the car at the other dealership? I wonder.
This thing about not knowing if the car was shipped or not really sucks. So I may be looking at a 2 weeks wait or a 3 months wait and there's no way of me knowing?

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Same here. I see your in MA kelmn07, did you try any NH dealers?? I bought mine at Peters in Nashua, fantastic dealer. They have quite a few 5s on their lot, a few sedans, but no Koups. I originally wanted a Copperhead SX with leather, sunroof, and the 6sp MT, but they had no clue if anymore were coming stateside for the year. Amazingly, later that week, they recieved 2 Koups with all I wanted, except in Corsa Blue and Titanium. One look at the Corsa Blue Koup, which had the wheel plastcs and seat covers on still, and I was smitten! I guess what I'm tryin to say is, MA is small enough that it may not hurt to expand your search to southern NH as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just drove 200miles to get my Koup SX. Figure out what you want and what your willing to pay for it. I went to 3 dealerships who refused to budge from the invoice price, so I hopped in my car and drove to the dealership that had two fully loaded in the color I wanted. (abt 3 hrs away)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.