Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright newbs, here's the easiest way of describing it.

Think of the warranty as the alphabet, all 26 letters of it. Each letter represents a part of your car. For example, H is for headlights. IF you install HIDs (with a harness), you void the Headlight part of the warranty, the rest of the warranty is still intact.

So basically the warrant isn't a single piece of coverage that gets completely voided, it only get partially voided. If you mess with your headlights, and you get an oil leak, IT IS COVERED UNDER WARRANTY.

Secondly, Aftermarket parts DO NOT VOID WARRANTIES. If you install a CAI, it doesn't void your warranty, if your engine breaks because of the CAI. (and it can be proven that the CAI was the direct cause of the damage), then it voids the warranty.

you still following?

Now for the simple FAQs about voiding warranty:

1. CAI = warranty NOT VOIDED
2. HID = NOT voided. (unless damage was cause by the particular part, EG: headlight melted)
3. LEDs = NOT VOIDED
4. Lowering springs= Voids strut warranty since it causes premature damage.

And thats it. Warranty is pieces, not a whole. You don't void the whole thing, only parts.

Anyone care to add?

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
yea one more thing no more warranty questions or get banned for a week!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Nice post noodile. I hope people actually see this. I have always contacted the dealer about the warranty issues. I called them and asked about a cai, and as you stated, unless the mass airflow sensor error pops up and damage is caused by it, then its fine. I am surprised I have not seen more about car stereo mods voiding warranties.

·
Registered
800 Posts
yea one more thing no more warranty questions or get banned for a week!
Will putting an ass muffler on my koup get me banned and void my warranty? jkjkjk

But this actually helps me out as im in need of an oil change and i wanted to know if it was cool to leave my intake on lol... Oil Change number 2!!!! :D

And Im gonna get to some Koup workin!!! WOOT!

Hey.... Dont ban me.. HAHHAHA

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'd rather be save than sorry i just lost 10 year/100000 mile warranty.. just me tho.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Technically you could probably get your shocks covered under your warranty as well. Just replace the springs again and be like... I DUNNO WTF HAPPENNN....

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Technically you could probably get your shocks covered under your warranty as well. Just replace the springs again and be like... I DUNNO WTF HAPPENNN....
The amount of work to remove them and re-install and then re aligning.. would it really be worth it? :D

·
Registered
916 Posts
I thought about this too and decided when they go I'll be payin to replace them, hopefully KYB or the like will have some better ones available by then, im sure they will eventually, just look how many of us are lowered already on springs only.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I agree 100%. But two other things need to be added...

The AM parts themselves are not covered under warranty. The other issue is that the dealer can, incorrectly, deny a repair under warranty using the AM as an excuse. The problem here is that it's then up the owner to press the issue.

Again, I'm not saying the AM does void the warranty but it might create an issue. Dealers are not going to like repairing the engine if they see a turbo, CAI, modified electronics, etc in the engine compartment.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Will this void my warranty?!!?!?

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Good post.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Here is my 2 cents on the warranty. I have a stock Kia Koup SX with no modifications at all and I have been denied coverage on items that are in fact covered. I can't even imagine trying to get warranty coverage on a Koup with mods. My drivers side window stopped going down with a single touch [I have to hold the button down the whole time]. It worked perfect for a year then it stopped working. I would consider this an item that is covered under warranty [bumper to bumper it says] The dealer said that I must have had the door open too long when it was raining and water went in and did some damage [my fault he said]. Of course I told him the the windows controls are on the door and that was Kias decision to place them there and they should have considered rain when opening the door. We went back and forth and it went nowhere. He won I lost. I don't have the energy to battle this out and it will be cheaper for me to get a new window switch and do it myself than to fight it out with Kia. Bottom line is this; it doesn't matter what Noodile or anybody believes, what matters is what the dealer and Kia Corporate decides. Period - end of story. If you put in a CAI and for some reason your engine is acting wacky, whether it is the CAI or not, they can deny your warranty. It is then up to you to fight it out with them and that takes time and money. Oh and the burden of proof is upon YOU not THEM. They don't have to prove a damn thing, rather YOU have to prove everything. Just like speeding tickets the burden of proof is upon you to prove you DIDN'T speed. You can't simply say 'Your honor I swear I didn't speed that day'. The judge will find you guilty. I can barely get them to honor the warranty under stock conditions...I can't even imagine modded. Good luck with that one.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
its not our fault that you have a shitty dealer and can't work yourself around issues. I've had my headlight replaced under warranty (fogging), had an oil leak fix (bad sealant), door not closing right (window hitting the trim). and my dealership never had an issue for warranties.

he couldve denied the headlight because of HIDs or power-washing.

could've denied the oil leak saying i was too hard on the engine or scraped it.

could've denied the door saying i slammed it, but they didn't cause they're a decent dealer, not like your stealership.

·
Registered
585 Posts
its not our fault that you have a shitty dealer and can't work yourself around issues. I've had my headlight replaced under warranty (fogging), had an oil leak fix (bad sealant), door not closing right (window hitting the trim). and my dealership never had an issue for warranties.

he couldve denied the headlight because of HIDs or power-washing.

could've denied the oil leak saying i was too hard on the engine or scraped it.

could've denied the door saying i slammed it, but they didn't cause they're a decent dealer, not like your stealership.
And how does this information help those who have been denied warranty for items that in fact are covered under warranty? Should we bring a printout of your 'Alphabet A to Z' theory, show it to them and see if they tremble? Your statement 'Aftermarket parts DO NOT VOID WARRANTIES' is not accurate in the real world. It is a case by case, dealer by dealer basis. Obviously my dealer [and from what I have read on this forum other dealers as well] could care less about your alphabet theory. Preaching this to new Kia Owners is not giving them the reality of Kia Ownership.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Here is my 2 cents on the warranty. I have a stock Kia Koup SX with no modifications at all and I have been denied coverage on items that are in fact covered. I can't even imagine trying to get warranty coverage on a Koup with mods. My drivers side window stopped going down with a single touch [I have to hold the button down the whole time]. It worked perfect for a year then it stopped working. I would consider this an item that is covered under warranty [bumper to bumper it says] The dealer said that I must have had the door open too long when it was raining and water went in and did some damage [my fault he said]. Of course I told him the the windows controls are on the door and that was Kias decision to place them there and they should have considered rain when opening the door. We went back and forth and it went nowhere. He won I lost. I don't have the energy to battle this out and it will be cheaper for me to get a new window switch and do it myself than to fight it out with Kia. Bottom line is this; it doesn't matter what Noodile or anybody believes, what matters is what the dealer and Kia Corporate decides. Period - end of story. If you put in a CAI and for some reason your engine is acting wacky, whether it is the CAI or not, they can deny your warranty. It is then up to you to fight it out with them and that takes time and money. Oh and the burden of proof is upon YOU not THEM. They don't have to prove a damn thing, rather YOU have to prove everything. Just like speeding tickets the burden of proof is upon you to prove you DIDN'T speed. You can't simply say 'Your honor I swear I didn't speed that day'. The judge will find you guilty. I can barely get them to honor the warranty under stock conditions...I can't even imagine modded. Good luck with that one.

Take you car to another dealership.....your bad switch is warranty all day long!!!!!!!! And I should know.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts