Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Am I in the minority here? I've had this car (EX Sedan)for just over a month now and there's already a tiny chip/crack in the windshield.:mad: Now I do commute 80 miles total a day but to give this some perspective, I have a Grand Cherokee that has 77,500 miles on it (6 years old) and has taken waaaaaaaaaay more and waaaay bigger pebbles/rocks/debris to the windshield than the Forte has and it doesn't have one chip in it.

Is this a sign of many winshield replacements in the future?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Dont know? I just got the biggest rock in the windshield last week and last time ive checked, nada:)

·
Registered
526 Posts
Am I in the minority here?
No, your not! I have been getting torn up with little chips and chunks!:mad: The glass is not very strong! I too have had other vehicles that I've owned for years and not one small ding!! My truck I drive at work catches h3ll on the road- stuff hitting it all the time- also...not a speck! I'm expecting to have to replace my windshield in my Koup before to long.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Here's a couple of pics of it, both are from inside the car, the second pic was taken while sitting a little further back in the seat in order to give a little perspective on the size. It's not a very big chip/crack (for now) but we all know how fragile glass is over time.

In the pic above the damage is kind of hard to see but it's located at right about the center of the pic (left to right), and slightlyabove center (looking top to bottom).

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
No, your not! I have been getting torn up with little chips and chunks!:mad: The glass is not very strong! I too have had other vehicles that I've owned for years and not one small ding!! My truck I drive at work catches h3ll on the road- stuff hitting it all the time- also...not a speck! I'm expecting to have to replace my windshield in my Koup before to long.

The thing that really scares the crap out of me about all this is just how LOUD it is when even a teeny tiny pebble strikes against it.

·
Registered
567 Posts
It seems the like quality of the paint is the same as the quality of the glass. CRAPPP

·
Registered
576 Posts
All new cars are the same, my previous car a Honda Civic was proned to chipped windshields. Older cars seemed to have thicker or tougher glass in them, I guess these days car companies are trying to reduce the weight of their cars hence weak windshields.
I make sure now I carry winshield insurance . Most windshield repair shops can fix little chips by injecting resin into the cracks, this almost makes chips invisible plus stops the chip from forming a bigger crack

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
maybe it has something to do with the angle of the glass as to why its so easy to break?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yep, I and my friend who both own the Sedans have already had cracks in our windshields. He has had 2, I just got my first after only having the car for 2 weeks. Kind of getting concerned.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep, I and my friend who both own the Sedans have already had cracks in our windshields. He has had 2, I just got my first after only having the car for 2 weeks. Kind of getting concerned.

Wow, this is starting to sound like crappy glass for sure....

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
I'm starting to think that the glass used is crappy. It's from Korea, where as the glass on the cars our family has owned has always come from US firms (PPG... etc).

I don't have an chips or cracks but on a sunny day on certain angles you can see ripples in the rearview mirror, rear glass and windshield.

You guys should all try to look for it, you'll see what I mean.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm starting to think that the glass used is crappy. It's from Korea, where as the glass on the cars our family has owned has always come from US firms (PPG... etc).

I don't have an chips or cracks but on a sunny day on certain angles you can see ripples in the rearview mirror, rear glass and windshield.

You guys should all try to look for it, you'll see what I mean.

Yep, I know exactly what you're talking about. I've noticed it on the windshield when looking at it from the inside on more of a side view (for example when you clean the windshield).

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Yup I see it in the rear pasanger glass, its the easiest place to spot it

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Got my windshield repaired 2 month ago! Stone chip!

You don't want to change it because they quote me 1600$ for it!! (canadian model with defrost)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Well, she finally cracked all to hell today! I'm not even going to post a pic because I'm so pissed right now. I stopped in at the dealership on the way home from work and they played the 'ol "chipped by rock routine". Asked for a quote just on the windshield (for shits and giggles) and it was 528.00 from KIA + labor.

I then called a local window repair shop here in Slidell, LA and they quoted me a Safelite windshield for 375.00 + tax which will INCLUDE installation. :cool:

My deductible was 500.00 so I'm not turning it in (obviously).

I'm just gonna chalk this one up as a MOD :D just so I can let my blood prssure settle a little. Seriously, the Safelite glass HAS GOT TO be much better than this Korean Crap they come with. We'll see, as it only took a little more than a month for the prior craptastic glass to give in...I'll report on the new glass that's going in tomorrow as time passes by.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I don't have cracks in mine, but my ice scrapper that I used, scratched the heck out of the windshield. I've used this ice scrapper on 2 other vehicles and the other windows of the car without any issues. I think the glass is too soft.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
New windshield has been in for 6 weeks now and its still fine. I swear the very next day after install while traveling to work I got nailed by another rock. Glass is still fine though.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
New windshield has been in for 6 weeks now and its still fine. I swear the very next day after install while traveling to work I got nailed by another rock. Glass is still fine though.
I've been hit 3 times now, it sounds like its hitting the glass but I've found a little white scratch were the rock hit the roof of the car:eek:
Its loud when it hits!!
no dent and so far no chips in the window lucky I guess

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.