Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently put 45-50% tint on the drivers and passengers side windows. The passenger side is starting to peel a little from the bottom now, even though I made sure the tint went below the little rubber piece into the door. On the drivers side, I have already replaced it once due to it peeling at the bottom. Now, my replacement piece is peeling. Is there something in the door that is causing this? I have tinted all my car windows for 20 years and never had a problem. Usually I go with a darker tint but here in NC we have to pay extra to have it tested each time our car is inspected, thats why I went with a light tint, but now I am thinking its a thinner piece of tint and therefore easily peeled back by the door.

Anyone else experienced this????

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
First thought, you are using cheap tint.
Second thought, you aren't waiting long enough for it to cure before rolling your windows down.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
I am not trying to disrespect or undermine your window tinting abilities, but i am with arine on that. Over the last couple of years window tinting became so popular, and unfortunately with that came cheap poor quality window tint. so i'd say get it done at a professional shop (the type with lifetime warranty), or start looking for better quality tint. (avoid walmart, autozone, ebay, amazon and so on)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
U may be right, I got my tint off ebay, one of those pre-cut deals. I was thinking since its not as dark, it was thinner but bottom line, it may just be cheap tint. I give it at least a day or two in the sun before rolling down the windows so I dont think thats the problem.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
you may want to try leaving it on for more than just 2 day before you role down the window. i got mine done professionaly and i needed to leave it unouched for a week.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dang, a week? After two attempts with this window, Im thinking I just may pay someone to do it for me, then if it peels, I can take it back to them.

Anybody know what they typically charge for just the two windows, my back window is doing fine.

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
I wait 72 hours.
My guess is a combination of both. Ebay is fine, but lots of knock offs out there.

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
Depending on the temperature and the adhesive you gotta give it 3 days to a full week. In the Winter you'll need like 2 weeks for it to fully adhere. Summertime in 40+ C temps 0 humidity it'll dry in 48 hours but if it's humid you'll need at least 3 days. That's just my experience.

Pre-cut stuff off ebay sounds like crappy stuff. You need at the very least LLumar to get ~5 years. 3M or Pinnacle is higher end and will last pretty much the life of the car.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Was just looking on E-bay, they have LLumar, 3M and "The Black Box Tint" all pre-cut with lifetime warranty. The LLumar and 3m were both about $85 and the other was about $55. Considering getting one of these for my car, but have a couple of issues.

First is that Georgia has a limit of 32% VLT. Now I don't know what the car comes from the factory with but could I get 35% and still be pretty close to the state limit? Know I could probably go darker and not have a problem but I would rather stick close to allowed limit. I've got nothing else with tint so even 35% will be an improvement.

Second is if I tint the side and rear windows I want to do the sun roof as well, none of the kits include a piece for it. Would it be a simple matter of requesting a piece cut for it as well?

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
The car does not have Factory tint. 35% should keep you above 32% legal limit. (Lower number is less light transmittance, thus darker tint)

·
Registered
147 Posts
When I got my tint, I didnt roll down my windows for a little over a week, got it done at trimtech in Oshawa, all windows (besides windsheild) for 220, I would say a little less then 100 for just the front two. I have 15% tint and havent been stoped for it. been rocking the tint for a few months now.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
for the KOUP, the best place in town charged me 130 for it.

(includes Back windshield $60, and back quarter windows (about 40$)). so you should be looking at about 40-60$ for just the front windows.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cool, I appreciate everyones responses. I believe I will just get it done by someone who does it all the time. I will also wait at least a week before rolling down the windows. Maybe its a combination of cheap tint, only paid around 10 bucks for the two windows, and me rolling down the windows too soon.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
The local shop here. (in PA), usually makes you wait 3 days before you roll it down. (whether its winter or summer)

·
Registered
536 Posts
My installer put little sticky tabs over my window buttons that read "Do not roll down for 5 days"...I followed that....Have not had a problem....Car before my Forte I got it done in winter and didn't roll down for a month...didn't have a problem with that either....It's gotta be the tint!

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
You can go darker on the back side and rear windows. The limitation is measured at the front window.

·
Registered
147 Posts
My installer put little sticky tabs over my window buttons that read "Do not roll down for 5 days"...I followed that....Have not had a problem....Car before my Forte I got it done in winter and didn't roll down for a month...didn't have a problem with that either....It's gotta be the tint!
I got a sticker aswell mine said 7 days but just to make sure i didnt roll them down for a little longer, better safe then sorry :p

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Yup, I had dealer do it on my Koup, as part of my deal. They put stickers on that said the same things, over the switches.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My buddy got cheap priced pre-cut tint for the windows of his truck and they didn't last at all, just a cheap name i'm sure...but when it comes to my car, I always get the pros to do it despite the cost, at least i'm hoping to get a better job done this way and some kind of warranty!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts