Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Googled window tinting in the Northern Virginia area, and found out that the law had changed and I could only do 50% on the front windows. I called one guy, and he said I could easily get away with 35%. As long as you can be seen behind the wheel, cops generally will not mess with you.

However, I have heard of people having to remove tinting that was too dark. I was quoted $250.00, or $50 bucks per window. He was willing to tint it to whatever % I wanted, but I had to sign a waiver that I understood it was illegal.

Do you guys know just how cool a white sedan looks with black windows and some classy rims? OMG. I am also just NOT PSYCHED for another 110F summer with 500% humidity. I bet if I put a chicken in the car for 8 hours, it would be cooked perfect. So, what do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
I think $250 is WAY too much $$ I just paid $180 OTD for my 5-door

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
i paid 120 for my tint. they guy used high profile tint and did 5% on the rear windows and 20% on the front. it faded a tad in the year that ive had it but that would be from our texas heat lol 250 is way too much

·
Registered
644 Posts
Go to a tint shop and ask them to show you what 35% looks like... It's pretty clear still.. I originally planned to get 35% tint because here the legal limit is 70%, but after seeing what 35% looked at I didn't even really think it would be worth it to pay the money to get that done, and I don't like having windows different tint %. So I ended up going with 20% and it looks way better, and I don't regret it at all, if I see a cop I either open my windows or open the sunroof to let some more light into the cabin to lighten up the windows.

But yea $250 sounds like too much money, and even though the guy here told me that it was illegal to do 20% he didn't make me sign anything.. sounds a little sketchy to me, although it's possible the laws are different where you are or something. I paid a good deal less than that and I even got my side markers tinted.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
and 35% isnt going to block sh*t. your car will get just as hot as it would get if you didnt have any tint.
sorry but you are wrong....my car interiors are much cooler than non tinted cars of the same type.

Solar Control Window Film: LLumar Automotive Films
Solar Protection
The sun’s rays can cause a car’s interior to become unbearably hot. Installing a high performance window film can reduce your car’s interior surface temperatures by as much as 16°C (29°F)… creating a more comfortable ride, lessening the burden on the air conditioning system, and saving fuel.

·
Registered
205 Posts
yeah i agree with everyone else. 250 is way to much.
i payed 130 for 5% in the back and 35% in the front.

·
Registered
695 Posts
250 is way to much, I got my koup done for 140 and I am in Va I did the 50/35 which is legal, I wish I did 35 all around. If you get caught they will make you remove it and its a small fee. Doesnt count as a moving violation.

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
I've had 35% for the past year and I'm very happy with it.
Law enforcement doesn't harass me over it and it's enough to keep the interior cooler than if I didn't have any tint.
I like to appearance of the same shade of tint all around as opposed to a lighter front windows and darker back windows....but this is my personal preference.

·
Registered
39 Posts
my buddy had 20% all the way around on his civic coup and finally got pulled over after 3 months lol I was gonna go 15 but Im thinking either 20 or 35 now

·
Registered
436 Posts
I've done several of my 2-door cars with dark on the rears, and 'legal' on the fronts, and I think it looks fine. 35% isn't super dark but I am happy with the privacy it provides. If you don't insist on smoke color, they also make a tint that has a lot higher heat rejection, but it has a silvery tint to it. Nothing bright or gaudy, but it's not traditional black.

I also use a reflective sunshade on the windshield and it helps a lot while parked & baking in the Texas sun all day.

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
sorry but you are wrong....my car interiors are much cooler than non tinted cars of the same type.

Solar Control Window Film: LLumar Automotive Films

i am speaking from experience as well. when i had my mazda6 i paid $200 for 35% when i was in high school and i might as well have just left it stock. $200 for 35% isnt worth it; much less $250.

you also need to find out what type of tint theyre using. cheap tint will fade out in the summer and you will have wasted 250 bucks

·
Registered
916 Posts
I usually get and did my forte with a black mirrored tint, reflects uv rays an heat instead of absorbing it, doesn't fade or change color and because of the metal that is in it it is more resistant to scratching etc, it is not legal and on a cloudy day you can't see in at all, but on a sunny day you can somewhat. IDK, it's different and that's why I like it... Only cost me $200 for 20% all around and it's some of the most expensive film available.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Light does not generate heat... it's UV rays from the sun. Film that is clear can block about 99% of UV rays so tint does not need to be dark to reduce heat... nor will darker tint reduce more heat. So that argument is moot.

OP... you never know when police are going to need a reason to pull you over. If you go with dark tint, you just gave them a reason to pull you over whenever they want. Also, this person at the shop who is willing to illegally tint your your vehicle is giving you legal advise? Have him do your taxes while he's at it.

Personally, I'd go with 50% in front and 35% in the rear. It looks just as good but you will not only be able to see out of the front windows better at night but you won't have to worry a single minute about tearing it off. Also, I'm betting surrounding states have the same laws. So it's not just VA that you need to worry about.

·
Registered
95 Posts
if i remember well. i paid 120 for mine and is 35 % in the front and limo tint i the back.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
i am speaking from experience as well. when i had my mazda6 i paid $200 for 35% when i was in high school and i might as well have just left it stock. $200 for 35% isnt worth it; much less $250.

you also need to find out what type of tint theyre using. cheap tint will fade out in the summer and you will have wasted 250 bucks
not trying to pick on you, but % of tint has little to do with UV and Heat reflectivity. That is handled by either ceramic or metal layers in the tint.

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Any of you get a guarantee against fading?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.