Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a bad experience with my new Kia Forte Sedan today, I hopped in and then noticed a bick crack in the windscreen RHS.
The windscreen had not been subjected to any stones chips whats so ever, I was very disheartened to think a windscreen could be that thin that it would crack on it's own accord.
I visited the local Kia dealer he informed me that this a known fault with Forte windscreens manufactured from a certain batch, what a relief when I found out that they would replace the windscreen due to a manufacuring fault.
I was wondering if anyone else around the world has had the same problem:confused:

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
windscreen???? can anyone educate me on what this means. mean while i am headed to sleep i been up for about 28hours nite

·
Registered
105 Posts
windscreen???? can anyone educate me on what this means.
In North America it's called a windshield, on the other side of the pond (Great Britain, Europe) it's referred to as a windscreen. Same difference.

·
Registered
436 Posts
While uncommon, it isn't actually a difficult situation to have arise. If the windshield is installed incorrectly, installed in a situation where it's under uneven pressure, or installed in such a way where driving on rough roads puts centralized loads on the edges, a crack can occur. I had it happen with my 93 Sundance. A crack eminated from the left edge (under the trim) for no reason, overnight. Even the guy that replaced it couldn't come up for a good reason for the crack other than it may have been in a bind from the factory. Uneven pressure will crack a windshield every time.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Owners in Singapore were reporting problems with their windshields cracking in the 09 Ceratos (Forte; see - word play...LoL). Hopefully there were some defective windscreens/windshields and you were just unlucky enough to find one...

·
Registered
348 Posts
We have three Forte sedans at our dealership right now, all in for new front glass. Every one of them is cracked clear from one side to the other, in almost the exact same way. Every one of them is also a rental car, and from the same delivery from Korea (so all build dates are very close). The other 37 cars we sold the rental company at that same time don't have a problem, but we have alerted Kia Canada to these three, as it seemed a little curious at that time.

Interesting to see similar troubles around the world. The windshield is subjected to massive forces in the flexing of the vehicle, and are usually built to be very strong (that single piece of glass will support the entire weight of the vehicle) but like anything, faults can happen.

·
Registered
320 Posts
We have three Forte sedans at our dealership right now, all in for new front glass. Every one of them is cracked clear from one side to the other, in almost the exact same way. Every one of them is also a rental car, and from the same delivery from Korea (so all build dates are very close). The other 37 cars we sold the rental company at that same time don't have a problem, but we have alerted Kia Canada to these three, as it seemed a little curious at that time.

Interesting to see similar troubles around the world. The windshield is subjected to massive forces in the flexing of the vehicle, and are usually built to be very strong (that single piece of glass will support the entire weight of the vehicle) but like anything, faults can happen.
Any issues with the Koup's windshields that you've heard of yet?

·
Registered
1,874 Posts

Considering that they are rentals it's possible they saw "air time"...since a lot of people think when driving rentals they don't have to obey any laws and can treat them like $%#$!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
According to the Kia Dealer I was talking to, this problem was due to a bad batch of Windscreens from the supplier, hopefully they get their glass from another supplier now. Mind you the mis-informed Sales person I was talking to first off denied any faults and said Kia wouldn't cover it under warranty as it could have been caused by a football or a stone chip.
After then persuing the problem with the Service Manager I found out that it's a problem they are very aware of and had no hesitation getting it fixed.
It's a pity Kia doesn't make the owner more aware of this problem with a letter or something, especially as it only applies to a batch of cars produced in the second half of 2009:confused:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Has anyone heard a squeek/creek from their back glass on cold days?
It is like a jiggle sound, and it is quite loud. I could hear it when driving.
Only heard it the once, on a cold night. It has been very mild out lately. So i can't duplicate it again. Kia said thay would need to duplicate it to fix it.
They only have a 1 year warranty on glass issues they say...
Just covering my ass...

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
i know this is COMPLETLY off topic but what about the AC. when i have my ac on it makes this noise that i can only compare to air being lightly blown thru a tube with water in it. and the sound comes from where the middle vents are. ive never had a car do this and was just curios on what ppls thoghts were.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well, i had this EXACT problem with my Sedan two days ago, woke up, jumped in the car, and a crack on the right hand side, spit into two, one going up, one going down.

I was so bummed, took it to the dealer this morning, manager said he saw no chips whatsoever, so he's changing the windscreen for me on Monday at no charge :)

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, i had this EXACT problem with my Sedan two days ago, woke up, jumped in the car, and a crack on the right hand side, spit into two, one going up, one going down.

I was so bummed, took it to the dealer this morning, manager said he saw no chips whatsoever, so he's changing the windscreen for me on Monday at no charge :)
Good to hear I have had no problems with mine since the replacement. But when you first discover the crack it certainly puts a nasty taste in your mouth

·
Registered
40 Posts
Good to hear I have had no problems with mine since the replacement. But when you first discover the crack it certainly puts a nasty taste in your mouth
Windscreen was changed on Monday, got the vehicle back on Tuesday afternoon, brand new original replacement windscreen.

Jumped in the car after work today to find ANOTHER long long crack in the NEW windscreen coming from the bottom this time.

I could have cried :(

Heading back to my dealer tomorrow to see what's up.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Windscreen was changed on Monday, got the vehicle back on Tuesday afternoon, brand new original replacement windscreen.

Jumped in the car after work today to find ANOTHER long long crack in the NEW windscreen coming from the bottom this time.

I could have cried :(

Heading back to my dealer tomorrow to see what's up.
Gee that was bad news... I was told that Kia got a bad batch of windscreens from their supplier. Maybe your replacement was from that batch also, touch wood I hope mine doesn't decide to do it again. With winter coming up and frosty mornings it will be a good test.
By the way did the replacement windscreen have Kia marked on it somewhere mine did, just incase they put a cheap generic one on in place.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts