Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I caught a rock, or something. Landed right underneath where the wiper blades rest (I picked the wrong moment to clear the mist off the windshield, must be). Anyway, I noticed the windshield was cracked this morning (it was dark last night, so I guess I didn't see it).

I'm guessing I will need to get it replaced at some point. I have $0 glass deductible, so cost isn't a concern. I just want to make sure the job is done properly - I've heard many stories about them not replacing clips, not doing correct prep work, etc, leading to air or water leaks or such.

Does anyone know of any reputable shops who will do the job properly in the Albany, NY area? Or have any suggestions on how to make sure I pick the right place? Do KIA dealers tend to do replacements in house, or do they contract them out?

Also, is there aftermarket glass available that I have to worry about, or will it be an OEM replacement? Then again, high quality aftermarket OE spec glass may be better, the KIA windshields seem very soft (I have numerous tiny chips, and even some tiny scratches from the wiper blades).

Obligatory picture:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I heard the THWACK, and there is what appears to be a rock chip under the wiper blade:

·
Premium Member
905 Posts
There it is. That sucks. I got a chip in my windshield this weekend too.

I have to go the "glass glue to keep it from spreading and stare at it as I drive for a while" route because I don't want to spend the money on a it right now. There are just so many better ways to dump money into these cars. :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well, like I said, it shouldn't cost me a dime because I have full glass coverage. I just don't want a shoddy repair job done, I want a proper OEM-quality replacement. :(

Is it just me, or do these windshields seem to be really soft or something? I know someone else with a forte with a crack in it as well, and like I said, I stopped keeping count of the chips in mine because they kept popping up. I've had more damage on this windshield in 6 months than I had on my old '90 Celica in 2 years.

·
Registered
140 Posts
If you have a $0 deductible then you've got nothing to worry. Just call your insurance company and make a glass claim and they'll send you to a preferred shop. Where I'm from, any repair done through insurance is guaranteed for as long as you own your car. It should be the same for you as well. It's very unlikely that your insurance company would send you to a place that does poor quality work as this would increase the chance that they'd have to pay to get it fixed again in the future if it fails to hold up. Your windshield may only cost a few hundred to replace but the total cost for an insurance company is much more when you factor in the administrative costs and man hours. They'd rather make sure everything is fixed correctly the first time.

If you'd rather pick your own place to do it for whatever reason, make sure you pick a place that guarantees their work in writing. Don't go to those quick fix windshield/glass repair places you see in some parking lots or to a shop that only looks like it was opened yesterday. Also don't wait too long to get it fix as you have nothing to lose to get it done earlier if you can get it covered through your insurance. It doesn't take much for a crack to spread. Hit a big pot hole or two and next thing you know, the crack has gotten bigger and you've got water leaking inside your cabin during a heavy shower.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I agree call you insurance company you can get it replaced for free just make sure the use a factory gass. Safelite does great work!!

Where are you in the albany area??

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I actually live up near Saratoga, but I work in Albany, and go to school in Troy.

The crack is already spreading, it's about half way across the car now just from having the heat blowing on the windshield to defog it earlier.

My main concern was some of the horror stories you hear about the job not being done correctly or with subpar glass. I don't want air or water leaks or the structure of the car to be compromised because it was installed incorrectly. :eek:

·
Registered
522 Posts
Iam in clifton park i drive the northway every day, call you insurnace company and report the calim insist they use a factory gall and have safelite install it, i recommed them since i work for a honda dealership
and we use them every day and they do great work. Will look for you on the northway monday i am there every day at 5 p.m. I work in albany also!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've seen a couple Koupes around. In fact, I saw a copperhead koupe at the walmart in queensbury way back after I first got mine, back in April sometime.

Which safelite location do you recommend? My understanding was that it was a franchise outfit, and every one was different.

Also, at this point, my schedule is crazy. I'm only in the northway rat race on Wednesdays around 5pm, at least for the next couple months. So keep your eyes peeled then. :)

Thanks

·
Registered
522 Posts
Well we seem to get the same installer every time we use them and they are good at what they due. Will look for you every wed i am on at exit 6 at about 5:15 p.m will keep my eyes peeled looking for another one just like me!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi all, I'm from Singapore. This windshield crack problem occurred to Fortes here as well. In fact, a lot of members in one of Cerato Forte forums had reported it. It's been 100+ cases if I'm not wrong... and still counting. It is clearly factory defect, so KIA authorized dealer must replace it FOC. Hope it helps :)

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
it cracked @ 3,000 miles by a rock on my car... cheap glass... this has to be the billion-th time I've heard "windshield cracked"

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
I Have used Safelite in the past ( PT Cruiser) and was very happy with the work they did. They will even come to your home or job to do the work. It took about 30 to 40 minutes to install a new windshield. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not sure if you've already gotten it replaced, but if you haven't replaced it yet - and for anyone else who has to contemplate replacing a piece of glass on their vehicle - I'll give you some advice since I've worked in the automotive glass industry for the last 14 years.

First, don't go to Safelite. While the technicians they employ might do a good job on the actual install, the glass they use is considered aftermarket by the industry as they make it themselves. If you want to know a little more about glass quality, here are the types of glass you will find in the market today:

1. OEM - Original Equipment Manufacturer - Basically means glass straight from a dealer. Will be Logo'd with their branding. Not made by the vehicle's manufacturer (car companies don't make their own glass) but by glass manufacturers who are awarded contracts by car companies. The glass manufacturers take their glass and brand it with the vehicle manufacturer's Logo.

2. OEE - Original Equipment Equivalent - Basically the same thing as OEM glass but without the vehicle manufacturer's Logo branded on the glass. Glass manufacturers sell glass to auto glass companies, but because of their contract with dealers aren't allowed to sell auto glass companies Logo'd glass. So they will sell them glass that is the exact same thing, but without the Logo.

3. Aftermarket - Aftermarket glass is basically a "copy" of an OEE glass. A competing glass manufacturer (who doesn't make OEM glass - Safelite being a main example) will take the OEE glass and copy it in a manufacturing process, which makes the glass more liable to flaws, distortions, and defects.

So those are the types of glass you will encounter. Obviously you don't want to use Aftermarket as you'll have far more issues with that. OEM & OEE glass are basically the same thing just branded differently. Also as to the advice given above that you should go to someone recommended by your insurance company - in most instances you should stay clear of anyone your insurance company says is a "recommended provider".

Usually what those companies are doing is giving your insurance company a discounted rate to refer them more work. Shops that are discounting what an insurer pays them are liable to be using cheaper glass and installation methods. Another big thing you should know about "preferred shops" is that the majority of the time your insurance company will refer you to Safelite. The reason why they do this is because your insurance company does not actually handle their own glass claims, they are handled by 3rd party networks. One of the biggest 3rd party auto glass claim networks is run by none other than Safelite. So when you call your insurance company to file a claim, you are in fact talking to a Safelite Representative who will refer you back to their own auto glass replacement shop using their own aftermarket quality glass. Now you see how ingrained Safelite is in the Auto Glass Replacement Industry.

Now for some advice what you should look for in finding a reputable shop:

1. Don't go to Safelite (As stated above)

2. Don't go to a mom and pop store with no national backing behind them. If you encounter issues you don't have any recourse but to deal with them

3. Find someone who uses OEE glass. If you are not partial to having a Logo'd piece of glass, ask the company if they are using OEE glass - and ask for either PPG or Pilkington manufactured glass as they are the 2 largest companies who make OEM & OEE glass.

4. If you do want Logo'd glass your insurance company will have to approve it as the cost differential is huge between OEM & OEE (even though it's basically the same thing). If the year of your vehicle is within the current model year or 1 previous (for instance 2009 & 2010 currently) they will almost always pay for it. If it's older than that it's your insurance company's call if they will pay for it. Most times if you push them hard they will pay for it since legally they are obligated to replace vehicle parts with like quality.

5. Do research on companies. Find if they have any reviews online. Check if they are listed on the Better Business Bureau or a like organization, and if they are check their rating. Call the company and ask about their glass and their installation methods. Check the safe drive away time on the sealant they use (basically the time after the glass is set in the new sealant before it is safe to drive) and make sure they have documentation to back up what they say. Most shops use sealant with long drive away times as it's far cheaper - the shortest on the market today is 30 Minutes though hardly anyone uses that.

6. Ask the shop if they are a registered member of AGRSS (Automotive Glass Replacement Safety Standards). Shops that are at least have a modicum of care for your safety.

Make sure you do your research before replacing. Your Windshield is a vital part of the structure of your vehicle and is the biggest factor in safety during a roll over. If you are looking for any further information feel free to PM me or check the following links:

AGRSS® Auto Glass Replacement Safety Standards Council

http://www.noshortcutstosafety.com/?lang=us

20/20 Airs Segment On Auto Glass Safety

·
Registered
1 Posts
My forte sx has the exact same crack line in the exact same place as the one in the picture.It was not hit with a anything and I just noticed it today.

·
Registered
10 Posts
allstar glass ,installed mine here in san diego ,great job did it 2 times under warrenty.see if there in your area supposed to be nation wide.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts