Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2011 windshield already got hit by a rock and now it's got a long crack. Didn't even have a chance to repair it before it got too big because it happened late Sunday afternoon. Woke up in the next morning and the crack was already too big. On my previous car I at least had a couple days before the crack got too big to fix.

Already called the dealer and they said it isn't under warranty. I'm kind of reluctant to go with another OEM since this one cracked so easily. Has anyone tried an aftermarket windshield?

·
Registered
201 Posts
It has always been my impression that after-market glass is cheaper and because it doesn't conform to OEM standards would be of less quality than the OEM. I'd stick with the OEM, especially if you carry glass coverage through your insurance. The OEM should be the thicker glass.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm going to try and have it repaired tomorrow. Hope the crack doesn't grow much till then. If OEM is the best available, I might as well try to save this windshield a little longer.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I should mention I got a bullseye in the lower middle section of my windshield only last week, I tried repairing with a Permatex DIY kit (I had one handy) but unfortunately there was hardly any sun to dry the resin out.

Within a day or two when the temperature dropped I had the heat on medium-high and CRACK - nice big split almost all the way across. I just didn't have the time to get the glass repaired professionally... *sigh*

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got a guy coming in tomorrow morning that can do cracks up to 24". It's at about 10" right now so I'm hoping it doesn't grow anymore. It seems to be ok as long as I keep down the vibrations and make sure the windows are down so there's no difference in inside/outside pressure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts