Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So before Xmas, we had snow here in DC, went out cleaned off the windshield and car after work and once I started the car, I heard a pop and in the 30 minutes to get home, I developed a crack from almost dead center bottom clear to the right side at the wiper line...

Dealer confirms with Kia rep, stress fracture and will replace for free!

2? weeks ago, windshield gets replaced.

This morning I get to work, park, put the car in gear and head inside. A few hours later, a coworker calls asking about my awesome parking job...

Uhh what?

Ill take a pic and text you.

OH CRAP WTF!

Grab my keys, and damn near run outside (from the 6th floor)..

WTF??

My car evidently fell in love with a different spot, popped out of gear and tried to move itself. The only problem was that the wheels were turned enough that it couldnt. Instead my Koup decided to park in the door of the pickup truck in the next space.

I call the cops, and sit on hold on non emergency for 5 minutes.. It is ~32F with gusts of 30mph + and I am only in my leather jacket. Ok fine, 911 it is. Almost 3 minutes of please hold later, I explain that it is not an emergency but I need to file an accident report against myself.

Uh what sir?

I. need. to. file. an. accident. report. against. myself....

Could you please explain.

Sure, my car popped out of gear, and decided to park in the door of a pickup across the lot. It is not an emergency, but after 5 minutes on hold and while I am trying to avoid frostbite, I decided to call you instead.

10 minutes later, 2 cops show up (pretty sure they thought I was a drunk or something). Within 30 seconds both cops are laughing and the one cop basically went back to his car to wait for his buddy. Both officers were surprised I called and happy that I had all my info ready, and was willing to own up instead of hide. Also got the one officer with the question I always ask. No one seems to actually know the law on it. (Ask a cop this, unless you are being a jerk, it throws them off; "When does the speed limit change, is it when you see, or pass the sign?" +/- doesnt matter.)

Owner of the pickup is nowhere to be found, ended up making a claim with my insurance on my car and gave all the info I got from the cops about the truck.

So far it looks like possibly a sand and paint job only (corner into the center base of the pickup door)on the bumper and driver wheel well edge on mine and possibly a dent popper for the door (didnt get on the ground to look for creases) on the pickup. Already uploaded pics to the insurance company to avoid the pickup owner playing the OMG HE TOTALLED MAH TRUCK game...

My Koup evidently didnt like the space I chose and couldnt turn to avoid the stationary pickup...

Waiting till Friday to have the adjuster come out before I call the dealer.

This week has been a yo yo and I am hoping that it doesnt keep it up. Work the last two days has gone from literal facepalm confusion, to artery popping stress, to laughing hysterically and back..

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
I just have one question. What ever happen to the e-brake???

·
Registered
973 Posts
x2
i don't ever park it in gear, handbrake is good for me, and it's hard to get in low gear before it's warm so i don't want problems getting it out of gear when its warming up

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Forgot to ask the dealer to adjust it, when it went in for the windshield and it wasnt a priority to resolve for me. Consequently it was ineffective. This is the first time I have ever had a manual pop out of gear. I have driven "as a living" for a few different jobs, and never had any issues. Hell I havent owned an automatic since I was like 19.

Admittedly, the shift ratio on the Koup could use some work, and high rev shifting is interesting with the way that it holds the RPMs for a bit but I am guessing that either I bumped the shifter grabbing my gear when I got out or I didnt put it fully into gear like I thought I did. I don't think it was anything more then user error on my part.

Either way, until it goes into the shop, I have 2 chock blocks that I will toss in place. If she decides to try to hop spaces again, it will be a tad more difficult. Im just going to park over on the side of the lot that requires you to roll uphill in order to park in occupied spots.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
I've never, ever heard of a car popping out of gear on its own, but then again, i never leave mine in gear, i only use handbrakes. sowwies for your luck :(

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Isn't that what the PARKING brake is for? Not to be rude, but they are there for a reason.
EDIT: Not adjusted, Whoops.... Missed that.... :(

I hope it works out with your insurance, and that the owner of the pickup isn't a complete douche about it.
I remember I backed into a Hummer once. I was nice enough to give him my info, and he refused to give me anything. Luckily I got his license plate number: GUZLR.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey AutoItKing, did ya miss where I said I forgot to have the dealer adjust it, as a consequence it was ineffective?

Like I said before, I have never had a vehicle pop out of gear when off. Im betting that I either didnt have it fully in gear or I bumped it getting my gear out when I originally parked.

Waiting for Friday for the adjuster to come and do what I already did (take pics) before I take it over to the dealer.

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
How about you just buy one of them boots i see the post man put on there rear tires to prevent it from rolling lmao looks funny but hey it works.

·
Registered
201 Posts
what a bummer, though it's also probably better that you found it first then the owner of the truck it was hugging!

Good luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.