Kia Forte Forum banner

Windshield Scratches???

4K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Richie D 613 
#1 ·
So I've heard that the Forte has a "soft" windshield and that many people are seeing cracks and/or scratches on their windshield already, but up until this weekend I didn't have any issues with it.

I've always taken my Forte through a touchless carwash and let it air dry and haven't had any scratches or problems with it thus far. This weekend's GTA Meetup in Toronto had a hand washed car wash available to all Forte owners at the one dealership that we went to. They also provided oil changes at half price to us. I jumped in for both the oil change and car wash. I was happy with the quality of the car wash and who wouldn't be happy with a $15 oil change from a Kia dealer?

When I was driving the next day in the bright sun, I noticed what looked to be some small spider webs across my windshield that were right in my line of vision. The sun would catch a line or two. After using my windshield wipers to remove the "spider webs" from the outside and wiping the inside to remove any from inside I noticed that these were fine scratches on my windshield on the outside of the glass. Upon further inspection, it was all over my windshield and many were swirled. I don't like pointing fingers, but I had never noticed these before my hand washed car wash the day before. Did anyone else get these results after the wash on Saturday or has anyone else noticed this on their Forte after washing them by hand? Is our windshield that soft that they will scratch from a hand cloth?

The only other thing I can think of is that I've had a treatment of RainX applied to my windshield when I first got it 4 months ago. Would that leave some kind of coating that could be showing these scratches? Any feedback would be appreciated!

Thanks guys!

See less See more
#2 ·
I did the RainX thing as well, a month ago...I will take a closer look at my winshield and let you know.

That really sucks....

#3 ·
No marks on my windshield....the RainX is not the culprit.

#9 · (Edited)
Did you use a window scraper over the winter months? Was it plastic or brass? Also, from experience ( 14 yrs in Montana, and 16 years in Alaska, and 11 years in New Mexico at over 6,000 feet) sand particulates will always scratch a window no matter what kind of scraper is used.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.