Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 2010 Forte sedan SX with 5600 km on the odometer. The car is nice and no trouble at all.

Since it is my 1st car with rear disc brakes, I have a couple of questions.

Winter is pretty hard here (it is like -15 celsius during the night, I live in Quebec, Canada). Lots of temperature variations and difficult road conditions (freezing rain, snow, sleet, etc you get the idea).

Since last week, we had a lot of bad weather and every time when I release my hand brake (or e-brake) after a couple of hours, the rear disc seems to stay locked (frozen in place)for a couple of meters until I hear a "clunk" and it releases itself.

Is this situation normal or should I get it checked ASAP? I have a 8000 km maintenance scheduled in January, I'll ask them to grease everything possible down there.

Thanks!

SM

·
Registered
98 Posts
it is in fact frozen,is your forte AT or MT if its auto try staying away from your handbrake, if its MT then i suggest being careful with your brakes being frozen as it could cause premature wear on your tires and brakes. i had a friend who lived on an inclined drive way and he used blocks to prevent his car from moving, he just stall a cement block from a grocery store and placed it at the end of his drive way.( note: the drive way was inclined up away from his house, so that he could pull up to the block and not have to fight with puttin and removing blocks everytime he went anywhere)

·
Registered
103 Posts
SXcuse13 is right that its frozen, its normal to happen in the winter, the brakes are warm/hot from driving, then when you apply the e-brake and everything cools off, it freezes with the moisture. My old car did the same thing in the winter. (manual '03 Accent)
if your car is manual and you're sitting on flat ground or facing an incline, just put it into 1st gear and it shouldnt roll back, and if the car is facing a decline, put it into reverse and that will prevent it from rolling forward.
the shop manager here at the kia dealership told me to do that to prevent the brake from freezing up, and it totally works :)

·
Registered
202 Posts
All cars with rear disc will be prone to freezing. A tip I learned a few years ago is after you stop your car wait about 45 to 60 seconds before you apply the hand brake. This will give your disc's a chance to kool and any moisture to freeze before the brake is set. This doesn't allways work but it does help 75% of the time. Its more prone to happen if there is snow on the brake pads, any braking will cause heat and hence the snow melts and then freezes. Waiting for it to freeze helps..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.